rollie_t651
    rollie_t651's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5894

38 years ago today THE Ohio State Fires Woody Hayes after Throat punch

" On December 29, 1978, during the Buckeyes’ 15-17 loss to the Clemson Tigers in the Gator Bowl. With OSU down by two points in the closing seconds of the game, Clemson linebacker Charlie Bauman intercepted a pass and was knocked out of bounds on the Buckeyes’ sidelines. As Bauman was getting up, Hayes punched him in the throat, after which he was restrained by several OSU players." Source: This Day in HIstory

This weekend the Buckeyes face off against Clemson! Being a Gopher fan, I can't cheer on the Buckeyes. EVER. I'm leaning Clemson right now. Hoping Dabo has the Tigers ready!

Have a great day SBR!

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

rollie_t651

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for posting the video. Kinda crazy how it is almost to the day of another important game between the two universities.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2344

we need more coaches punching some of these thugs nowadays

rollie_t651

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    I wonder which Coach in today's game is crazy enough or passionate or a bad ass to do this....

rollie_t651

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Down with the Buckeyes! I couldn't take the points because at the end of the day, I want Buckeyes to lose. I'm on the ML for Clemson. Can't stand the Buckeyes. Sore Gopher Fan here. No question about that.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

good old days

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Woody is a legend here in Columbus

DaColts
    DaColts's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1233

Quote Originally Posted by rollie_t651 View Post
    Down with the Buckeyes! I couldn't take the points because at the end of the day, I want Buckeyes to lose. I'm on the ML for Clemson. Can't stand the Buckeyes. Sore Gopher Fan here. No question about that.
    Ha the Gophers suck! haven't been relivent in years. Go drown your sorrows in beer and cheese. Urban will have these Buckeyes ready to go and you can go Dab on that! Clemson won't know what hit them. Aka Pittsburgh and NC state putting up 40+ each on a great D front 7 lol!! Look out and good luck this might be over quick. Ask Alabama last time what happened with weeks to prepare!

Great video!
    Go Buck!

rollie_t651

Quote Originally Posted by DaColts View Post
    Ha the Gophers suck! haven't been relivent in years. Go drown your sorrows in beer and cheese. Urban will have these Buckeyes ready to go and you can go Dab on that! Clemson won't know what hit them. Aka Pittsburgh and NC state putting up 40+ each on a great D front 7 lol!! Look out and good luck this might be over quick. Ask Alabama last time what happened with weeks to prepare!

Great video!
    Go Buck!
    I like beer and cheese. Lutefisk too. Relevant in years is an understatement, we're talking decades. I'm just a jealous prick when it comes to other Big Ten teams winning and the Gophers sucking. Good luck to your team. I hope it's a great game regardless of lines. Have a good one!

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

I remember well. I watched that game.

DaColts
    DaColts's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1233

Thanks! I love how all the experts are picking against us. Just add some fuel to the fire.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Coaches should be allowed to punch players

Most are punks anyway

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

I wonder which Coach in today's game is crazy enough or passionate or a bad ass to do this....
    Bill O'Brien

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Coaches should be allowed to punch players

Most are punks anyway
    this ...it should be a mans game

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11099

" On December 29, 1978, during the Buckeyes’ 15-17 loss to the Clemson Tigers in the Gator Bowl. With OSU down by two points in the closing seconds of the game, Clemson linebacker Charlie Bauman intercepted a pass and was knocked out of bounds on the Buckeyes’ sidelines. As Bauman was getting up, Hayes punched him in the throat, after which he was restrained by several OSU players." Source: This Day in HIstory
    Wow, I can't believe this was 38 years ago. It seems like yesterday. I was being recruited by Clemson back in the day, so I kept up with their games and especially HC Charlie Pell. Bauman wasn't supposed to be in for that play but Rich Tuten came off for I think his shoes or helmet strap or something. Tuten and Pell ended up at UF, where I ended up playing. Tuten became our strength coach along with Mike Shanihan who was our Offensive Coordinator. Pell ended up getting Clemson and UF on ncaa probation which pretty much ruined him as a coach although he was the single most important reason for UF becoming a national power (same for Clemson). Shanihan and Tuten ended up with the Broncos years later.

Shanihan was a good QB in college but took a nasty hit that ruptured his kidney and his heart actually stopped on the football field for almost a minute. They called a priest on the field to say last rites but he survived. He ended up going into coaching. Life is strange.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by DaColts View Post

Great video!
    Go Buck!

This is guy is probably an Indiana basketball and Notre Dame football fan.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9566

This was one of my earliest sports memories, was watching that night with my father. When the play happened, Keith Jackson missed the sucker punch. My father said "I think the Ohio State coach just punched that player." Nobody on the broadcast said a word about it, even though the replay showed it clear as day.

Hayes thought it would blow over and the OSU administration wouldn't have the balls to fire him, since he had gotten away with so many incidents over the years, even kicking an ABC cameraman the year before. But he didn't realize this time, he went too far, and they fired him the next morning after he refused to resign.

As much as Hayes was a nut on the field with his temper, he actually did a lot of good off the field. In the book "The 10-year War" the author detailed how Hayes during the season would go to veteran hospitals and other hospitals, go to the front desk and say "who hasn't had any visitors in a while?" and he'd then go to their rooms and sit with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Wow, I can't believe this was 38 years ago. It seems like yesterday. I was being recruited by Clemson back in the day, so I kept up with their games and especially HC Charlie Pell. Bauman wasn't supposed to be in for that play but Rich Tuten came off for I think his shoes or helmet strap or something. Tuten and Pell ended up at UF, where I ended up playing. Tuten became our strength coach along with Mike Shanihan who was our Offensive Coordinator. Pell ended up getting Clemson and UF on ncaa probation which pretty much ruined him as a coach although he was the single most important reason for UF becoming a national power (same for Clemson). Shanihan and Tuten ended up with the Broncos years later.

Shanihan was a good QB in college but took a nasty hit that ruptured his kidney and his heart actually stopped on the football field for almost a minute. They called a priest on the field to say last rites but he survived. He ended up going into coaching. Life is strange.
    Last edited by Seattle Slew; 12-30-16 at 01:45 PM.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

RIP Woody Hayes, i love this guy.

Long live three yards and a cloud of dust.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

archie common pal, dont turn into loshak at the end of his carpedime days

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13684