Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Ralphie Metals - 2017 Gold, Silver, and Copper tracking thread

Once college football season is over, I won't be posting as much since I barely bet sports nowadays and the Saloon topics don't interest me much anymore. As a lot of you guys know, over the last 7 years, I have found a better arbitrage and something I'm actually good at which is Forex trading. I now trade for a company in the US that gives me their money to trade with, and the Forex trades I make there are not able to be released to the general public for obvious reasons.

What is not classified however, is my metals trading, because Americans cannot trade metals at margin thanks to the Dodd-Frank Act, making it not worth my firm's time for me to do. But I still like to trade them, and had a really really good 2016, so fuk it, let's share them with SBR.

So I'll set up a demo account for 2017, and put my trades up here as they happen, which will keep me connected to SBR until NCAAF season comes back around.

I only trade off of the daily time-frames, so if there's no trade or trade management to do that day, I'll just put up nothing. I'll be trading Forex style "per pip", which means I'll be risking x amount per every unit it moves up or down rather than risking a set dollar amount on it. A pip is a hundredth of a cent, so gold moves way more volatile than silver and copper do, and you'll see a big difference in pip value there, but I try to weight them all equally.

I can screenshot at any time for proof.

You guys wanna see how I roll? This is the best I can do -- the currencies have to stay under wraps. But the metals should be damn good, and I'm pumped about it.

Spot gold, silver and copper only since that's all my platform can do. They got rid of Platinum and Palladium for some reason. No biggie.

Whether I have a trade set-up that day or not, everything kicks off 1/1/2017.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

good luck Ralphie

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11860

Cool man. I'll be following. Any forex broker in particular you would recommend for those outside US?

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    Cool man. I'll be following. Any forex broker in particular you would recommend for those outside US?
    The world is your oyster outside the US. I'm the one stuck between only 3 or 4 platforms to choose from. I'm on FXCM (good) and Interactive Brokers (terrible), but I'm sure there are some great ones out there where you are. Wish I could be more help, but I'm not qualified to say there cuz I'm not allowed on them.

Foxx

There is so many that it's a bit daunting. I might check out Tradefair.

Ralphie Halves

The big European houses that I know of are DukasCopy, FXPro, eToro, and FinFX. For what it's worth.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3495

Sounds interesting man,always more to learn.

GL

Foxx

The Neteller website lists all the Forex brokers that accept Neteller. There's about 275 of them. Yikes.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

good luck sir , kick a few bucks to the SPCA they need the help
    Points Awarded:

triplecrown333 gave sweethook 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Awesome Ralphie. Bought a nice 100 oz scottsdale silver bar the other day. I know it is not the most cost efficient to buy bars etc rather than scrap coins but I am a sucker for the look. "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"

They also have a fairly nice gold selection. I try to give family members some starter silver/gold to try and get them into it at Christmas. Not a lot, just try and peak their interest. Usually Morgan dollars or something along those lines.

https://www.scottsdalesilver.com/sto...p?productid=20

I just use TDA's platform to trade FX etc. However, I trade a lot of crude futures /CL, more than FX

Good luck Ralphie, will look to chime in when I can
    Last edited by kidcudi92; 12-28-16 at 05:05 PM.

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    The world is your oyster outside the US. I'm the one stuck between only 3 or 4 platforms to choose from. I'm on FXCM (good) and Interactive Brokers (terrible), but I'm sure there are some great ones out there where you are. Wish I could be more help, but I'm not qualified to say there cuz I'm not allowed on them.
    I would LOVE to see this daily. I'm at IB too and should look for alternatives.

Looking forward to this. Hope you do great!

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    Awesome Ralphie. Bought a nice 100 oz scottsdale silver bar the other day. I know it is not the most cost efficient to buy bars etc rather than scrap coins but I am a sucker for the look. "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"

They also have a fairly nice gold selection. I try to give family members some starter silver/gold to try and get them into it at Christmas. Not a lot, just try and peak their interest. Usually Morgan dollars or something along those lines.

I just use TDA's platform to trade FX etc. However, I trade a lot of crude futures /CL, more than FX
    Nice job sir. Owning it just for diversification purposes is worth it. The "if you don't hold it, you don't own it" line is mostly false, but like I said, just having any of it is better than not.

Question though -- as an American in America, can you still trade FX through TD Ameritrade? A few months ago, I thought all stock platforms in the US disallowed it. The only reason I trade through IB is because we're an institution, which is somehow okay, but I think your average trader had to switch to an FX-specific platform.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Td has many forex pairs and they guarantee your funds unlike forex brokers

they have Fx and futures on currencies

They also do microdots for fx

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Good Luck Ralphie; I look forward the thread.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post

Good luck Ralphie, will look to chime in when I can
    What % over spot was that 100oz bad boy?

Ralphie Halves

So I started the day after Xmas, because I was home with the family and bored out of my mind. I won't start tracking officially until 1/1, but I'm up 3% in 4 days!
    http://s61.photobucket.com/user/bayo...]=1&sort=1&o=0
    Last edited by Ralphie Halves; 12-29-16 at 02:40 PM.

Ralphie Halves

While we're at it, does anybody know of a better place than slow-ass photobucket where I can host photo links? SBR changed it to where you need a link now, when I've done it the other way forever.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

While we're at it, does anybody know of a better place than slow-ass photobucket where I can host photo links? SBR changed it to where you need a link now, when I've done it the other way forever.
    It sounds silly, but I use facebook to host my photos. I just don't share them on my page so it works well.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Ralphie can you help me pick some gold stocks to invest in. Or should I wait for gold to go down some more.?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

why did Copper just recently spike in the last month after a long downward turn?

its been going back down, is it heading to the bottom again>?

Ralphie Halves

Just so we're clear fellas, I have no long-term prognosis for anything ever. I do what my charts tell me to do that day -- whether it's buy, sell, exit, or do nothing at all.

Plenty of info out there regarding where "experts" think different metals are heading, but it usually doesn't amount to much.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB, and Chi_archie

mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

interesting

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Trading metals still tough especially gold

Very volatile but in a way makes it tradeable

good luck

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!

Just so we're clear fellas, I have no long-term prognosis for anything ever. I do what my charts tell me to do that day -- whether it's buy, sell, exit, or do nothing at all.

Plenty of info out there regarding where "experts" think different metals are heading, but it usually doesn't amount to much.
    Are these charts something you've put together or are others able to get this info?

TIA.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    Are these charts something you've put together or are others able to get this info?

TIA.
    My own algorithm of sorts. 8 years in the making.

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!

My own algorithm of sorts. 8 years in the making.
    Thanks for the reply.

Ralphie Halves

Guys, quick update. It looks like I'm going out of town now the 4th-7th, so I won't be trading anything until the week of the 8th. I do trade when I'm out of town, but I think I'm going to leave the laptop at home and enjoy not having it around that weekend.

In the meantime, since some of you are tailing (which I did not expect, at least not this soon), use this week to make really small trades and get comfortable with the platform you're on, and from a metals standpoint as well. For example, gold moves super fast, while copper and silver do not. The last thing you want is to get KO'd because you were fumbling with your own trading platform. Make your $1 mistakes now as opposed to much bigger ones later.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    What % over spot was that 100oz bad boy?
    silver spot 16.01 today

paid ~1800 when i purchased

like i said not the best way to stack silver, but i enjoy the bars and am willing to pay more for them

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Very impressive Ralphie. Sounds like you have a well thought out future.
    It will be exciting to watch your moves. I wish you nothing but the best.

Ralphie Halves

So silver finally popped, and now my account is up 4% in 10 days, with no exit signs in sight, the day before I leave town.

Shut both trades down, or try and manage everything from my phone (which doesn't show me my entry and exit signals)?? Tough decision.

Either way fellas, if this is any indication, we should be in for a nice little 2017. See you on the 8th.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: triplecrown333

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Gold on the rise this mornig

Ralphie Halves

Good news: Up 6% now. Two weeks in. Closed both trades before Non-Farm Payrolls on Friday, not because I wanted to, but because I had to play defense because I wasn't around to set proper stop-losses, etc.

Bad News: Now I have nothing to trade, because gold and silver aren't officially turning down or anything like that, and copper is still sideways.

This was a really nice move in gold/silver, it certainly won't always be this way, but moves like this (and even bigger ones) will happen this year, and we're gonna catch them if I can help it.

Thanks for the support as well. Remember this when I take a loss or two . Everyone on here so far is a poster that I've grown to like over the years. It won't always be that way I'm sure, but fuk it.

As soon as another trade comes, I'll post it here. May not be for a few days though. I'll check in around then.

Ralphie Halves

Potential trade coming up in an hour or so. Not in love with it, but any trade I make is a 100% go for me.

So you can do the math at home for those who are tailing, I'm trading a $50K demo account, and will reveal the amount I'm trading per pip. My gold trades right now are about .50-$1 per pip for example, and silver is as much as $20 per pip. Your broker should make this amount clear when you trade. If not, use a pip calculator. They're everywhere. If you're investing real money, don't F it up by bad risk management.

Current Account : $53,005

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

So silver finally popped, and now my account is up 4% in 10 days, with no exit signs in sight, the day before I leave town.

Shut both trades down, or try and manage everything from my phone (which doesn't show me my entry and exit signals)?? Tough decision.

Either way fellas, if this is any indication, we should be in for a nice little 2017. See you on the 8th.
    you leave us hanging, then are up after you come back

why not say what you are doing before leaving

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    you leave us hanging, then are up after you come back

why not say what you are doing before leaving
    When you say "leaving", what did you mean?

Leaving the forum today? Waiting until the end of the trading day (2pm PST) to see if my indicators still say "go". Sometimes they don't. Just wanted to give a quick heads up and explain the risk management a bit.

Leaving the thread all this week? There were no trades to be made. I had already closed out what I had last Friday.

123 Last