TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

How to make the playoff selections more entertaining

Why not ditch 1 conference game and have a DIVISIONAL championship right before the CONFERENCE championships? Here is what you COULD be looking at if you did this. The main argument will be some teams may play each other in very quick turnaround spots but who cares? If Washington and Washington State play a classic game at WSU and WSU wins, wouldn't you want to see a rematch on a neutral field?

ACC- Louisville vs Clemson AND Virginia Tech vs Miami
    Big 12- Get 2 more members you cheap fuks
    Big 10- Winner of OSU/MSU vs Penn State AND Wisconsin vs Nebraska
    Mountain West- Boise State vs Wyoming (like the revenge angle)
    Pac 12- Washington vs Washington State AND USC vs Colorado
    SEC- Alabama vs Auburn/LSU

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

u should read before you press send.....this is ridiculous

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    u should read before you press send.....this is ridiculous
    Sharpest post in this thread

TPowell

Why not? More corporate money comes in, better football is played

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

simply put, college football is based on the value of the regular season. u can't lose 4 games like the nfl and have a shot at a championship. There's an unfair pressure on kids to be perfect everyweek, but its why we watch. not to mention there isn't even a "divisional round" in the national playoff, let alone putting one in the conference. and if l'ville had beaten clemson, pretty sure you would care less about this idea

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    simply put, college football is based on the value of the regular season. u can't lose 4 games like the nfl and have a shot at a championship. There's an unfair pressure on kids to be perfect everyweek, but its why we watch. not to mention there isn't even a "divisional round" in the national playoff, let alone putting one in the conference. and if l'ville had beaten clemson, pretty sure you would care less about this idea

True but you can't tell me that the idea of these extra great games isn't appealing. I don't see the harm in it. Teams will probably all lose a game or 2 now but IF they are in the race for a playoff spot, they'll be in THIS game and have a shot at it. I thought about this today driving. Conference championship week is generally one of the best weeks of the year, why not have another essentially?

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

because they have to pretend education matters lest they be forced to pay these athletes as they figure ways to squeeze the grape. i will just be happy with a 6 team playoff with 1 and 2 seeds getting a bye. how hard is that for them to pull off? only one extra game for two teams

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

All I know is Louisville embarrassed the entire state of Kentucky yesterday.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    All I know is Louisville embarrassed the entire state of Kentucky yesterday.
    The poster or the team

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by zizoudane10 View Post
    The poster or the team
    Shots fired!

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    Shots fired!
    Nah, it's all in good fun pal
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: greenhippo

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by zizoudane10 View Post
    Nah, it's all in good fun pal
    There's a little truth in every "it's all in good fun" post

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

make the playoff 8 teams keep the conference championship how it is

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Could the Big Ten be in for some chaos?

The conference’s College Football Playoff and bowl scenarios could get crazy. Here’s how. Wins by Iowa over Nebraska and Minnesota over Wisconsin set up a four-team tie in the West at 6-3.

Wisconsin would win that tie and then face the winner of the East in the Big Ten Championship Game. If Wisconsin wins the title game, the winner of the Big Ten would have three losses. And if Penn State is the East winner, so East division champion would then have three losses too.

In that case, Ohio State would have the best record in the conference by two games despite missing out entirely on the title game. How does the committee handle that scenario? We think Ohio State still gets in, but you never know.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bowl-pr...150102486.html

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    make the playoff 8 teams keep the conference championship how it is
    I totally agree. I think that they should have the 5 major conference winners, and then the highest ranked conference winner of the smaller conferences. Add 2 wild cards, and you are set.

sportsfan9698
    sportsfan9698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 786

It has been headed towards 8 team playoff the moment they started the 4 team playoff... just a matter of time

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

The big thing you have to do , get humans away from picking the spots
    Tell me what was wrong with the BCS Computer picking them ? Which years was it incorrect ?
    Let the BCS Formula pick the Top 4 , Top 8 , when it goes to it.
    With humans , it's like anything else , they make mistakes , they will always , I mean always pick the larger market schools no matter if right or wrong or even if they deserve it .
    When they put A&M at #4, everyone should have known and pushed to scrap this committee BS , let the BCS choose the teams .
    I didn't think the BCS was that bad off on the picking of the top teams , just use it for the playoffs.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I totally agree. I think that they should have the 5 major conference winners, and then the highest ranked conference winner of the smaller conferences. Add 2 wild cards, and you are set.
    +1.... exactly what they should do

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i also like the idea of only using computer rankings to decide things when there is discretion involved.

what exactly does sagarrin not capture? maybe weight it slightly more to recency and cap wins to 28 points, but other than that i'd say objective statistical measure is great.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

If NCAA were to add a week of games, better to go to 8-team playoff than add conference divisionals.

sportsfan9698
    sportsfan9698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 786

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    i also like the idea of only using computer rankings to decide things when there is discretion involved.

what exactly does sagarrin not capture? maybe weight it slightly more to recency and cap wins to 28 points, but other than that i'd say objective statistical measure is great.
    Sagarin is the standard - I agree. He also publishes numbers over more "recent" strength

But humans make the rules, and they do not want to relinquish control much like politicians

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

EXACTLY the same system I have been pushing, think of how many more exciting games we would have this weekend if this was your system.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

just go to 8 team playoff....

BaseballChaser
    BaseballChaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Could the Big Ten be in for some chaos?

The conference’s College Football Playoff and bowl scenarios could get crazy. Here’s how. Wins by Iowa over Nebraska and Minnesota over Wisconsin set up a four-team tie in the West at 6-3.

Wisconsin would win that tie and then face the winner of the East in the Big Ten Championship Game. If Wisconsin wins the title game, the winner of the Big Ten would have three losses. And if Penn State is the East winner, so East division champion would then have three losses too.

In that case, Ohio State would have the best record in the conference by two games despite missing out entirely on the title game. How does the committee handle that scenario? We think Ohio State still gets in, but you never know.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bowl-pr...150102486.html
    What makes it crazy is if Michigan beats OSU. Then if a 3 loss Wisconsin team beats Michigan.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

delete

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

Quote Originally Posted by Iwinyourmoney View Post
    Sharpest post in this thread
    I don't know -- yours seems to be equally sharp.