Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Controversy in the Cardinals - Reds game

Cards walk off with a win on a ball that should have been called a ground rule double (which would have meant runners at 2nd/3b with 2 outs and a tie game) instead of the Cardinals winning.

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

They protest?

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I turned it off after the double. Did anything happen?

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I turned it off after the double. Did anything happen?
    Umpires said that the Reds didn't protest within 30 seconds, so the game is over. It was literally one of the easiest calls to make. But the problem was that the Reds OF'er played the ball like it was still a live ball. He thought the signage behind the wall was in the field of play and I think the Reds manager did too, at least until someone told him about it. But by then it was too late to protest.

Huge call given that the Mets/Cardinals/Giants are so close

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    Umpires said that the Reds didn't protest within 30 seconds, so the game is over. It was literally one of the easiest calls to make. But the problem was that the Reds OF'er played the ball like it was still a live ball. He thought the signage behind the wall was in the field of play and I think the Reds manager did too, at least until someone told him about it. But by then it was too late to protest.

Huge call given that the Mets/Cardinals/Giants are so close
    Wow, that's pretty brutal.

It always amazes me how these professional teams are worth north of $1 billion, and silly things like this, or clock management mistakes in the NFL happen time and time again.