Betpoints: 259

theorudy
    theorudy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12920

Sheesh. RIP Jose.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

This tragic event really hits home with me. I was good friends with Derrick Thomas and his death was a complete shock. I knew Derrick as a teenager and saw him become a beast on the football field. He was invincible, larger than life, a behemoth. I was in KC for his birthday on New Years, we had a huge picnic, his mom, Andre Rison's mom cooked up a feast for everyone. The very next day they lost to the Raiders eliminating them from the playoffs. 3 weeks later he was dead. Him and 2 buddies were driving in the snow. Derrick was speeding (100 mph) and weaving in and out of traffic on a slick road. They crashed. Derrick and 1 guy weren't wearing seatbelts and both were thrown out of the vehicle. the 1 guy was killed instantly. Derrick was paralyzed. The other guy wearing his seatbelt walked away from the accident without a scratch. 2 weeks later he died from a blood clot as a result on my sons birthday.

I really couldn't believe it. Why would this happen? Well Derrick's death actually saved hundreds of people's lives. People who use to never wear seat belts started wearing them because of his accident. Lamar Hunt's (owner of the Chiefs) wife use to never wear a seatbelt. She was in a bad car accident the very next month Derrick died and put it on as a result of his death. Experts said she would have died had she not had on her seat belt. Numerous stories like this happened in the coming months. It's hard to comprehend tragedies like this but hopefully it saves other people avoid similar boating accidents.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Capybara

Mac4Lyfe

I am also reminded of Bobby Phills death as a Cleveland fan. Phills had a similar story as Fernandez. Beat the odds, had his whole life ahead of him and in a split moment made a bad mistake and lost his life. Him and teammate David Wesely were speeding in their Porsche's and Bobby lost control of his car into oncoming traffic. Dude was one of the few people that could actually slow down Jordan. He was turning into a star. His community work was incredible, everybody loved him. Wife, 2 kids, incredibly smart but liked to drive fast. His coach, Paul Silas warned him about his speeding but Phills didn't think it was an issue.

Life is tough.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3369

I still remember the Cleveland Indians Motorboat tragedy,that was big news at the time.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 09-25-16 at 12:23 PM.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

Why God take him away he was so young

RIP Jose you where my favorite pitcher in mlb and you where the best

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

This is horrible, horrible news. Tragedies like this happen all the time, but when it's someone we all know, who's so young and with such a bright future, it really makes you sad. RIP, Jose. My thoughts go out to all those close to Jose and even those who were just fans down there.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    I still remember the Cleveland Indians Motorboat tragedy,that was big news at the time.
    That was horrible. Very similar event with a world of what ifs... Teammates on a boat having fun on their day off. When they go to pick up a couple other guys on land they don't see the flimsy dock hanging out of the lake. They said it was a grisly site. There were rumors that Crews was decapitated. One of the Indians coaches was on the boat at the time but he got out to go get more tackle. He played rock paper scissors with one of the other guys to see who would go get the gear. He lost... But saved his life. Olin's family almost never made it to the lake as they couldn't find the place and was going to turn around and go home.

Mike Hargrove gave the guys the day off and always regrets doing that. He felt that if he didn't, they would be all alive. he never let another Indians team get a day off in spring.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Jeffrey Loria is surely very sad. Marlins had 2 more years of control on Fernandez contract at cheap arbitration salary.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    That was horrible. Very similar event with a world of what ifs... Teammates on a boat having fun on their day off. When they go to pick up a couple other guys on land they don't see the flimsy dock hanging out of the lake. They said it was a grisly site. There were rumors that Crews was decapitated. One of the Indians coaches was on the boat at the time but he got out to go get more tackle. He played rock paper scissors with one of the other guys to see who would go get the gear. He lost... But saved his life. Olin's family almost never made it to the lake as they couldn't find the place and was going to turn around and go home.

Mike Hargrove gave the guys the day off and always regrets doing that. He felt that if he didn't, they would be all alive. he never let another Indians team get a day off in spring.
    Lot of good posts, Mac, good info and stories.

pboozer57
    Maybe next year!
    pboozer57's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Extremely sad news. RIP. I loved watching him play.

slayer14

The man come from nothing and he was living the American dream, it gives normal people like us hope every day.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Unfukkingreal

RIP Jose.

Sad!

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Crushing, literally heartbreaking when I saw it
    He loved the game and was of elite talent
    To hear he saved his mom on the waters earlier
    makes this that much harder to except.

And to heartless people like nyplayer, im sure there was numerous things you did w eh en you were young that coulda took a easy turn for the worse.To make multiple posts j I dging him like he is some juvenile fukk up, makes me wonder if you have anyone in your life who gives a shit about you.. or vice versa

Rest In Peace Jose , I know life is bigger than mlb, but the organization
    Took a huge hit losing you
    Points Awarded:

innovation gave Fidel_CashFlow 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

So sad. The first face I saw was his playful, apologetic reaction to walking David Ortiz in the All Star game this year.

DeathAdder
    DeathAdder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8209

Unreal. Guy was a stud on the mound

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

I can't look at any more of this stuff. As a Cardinal fan, for some reason I was thinking about Darryl Kile's passing the other day, then this happens. So young, talented, and full of fun, reminds me of Oscar Taveras. The guy had such an amazing love of the game and love of life that you don't see every day. Great pic Mr KLC... I saw it on Twitter, the photographer said it was after he got the W in LA. The guy just grabbed a chair and wanted to watch the fireworks. Horrible, horrible day for baseball, I don't even want to think about the playoff run now. It's crazy that these guys we never meet, can impact us so much. RIP Jose, thanks for sharing your gift with us fans.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Some weird autistic connection from me. Not funny.

slayer14

Jose loved the game baseball with so much passion it very rare you get that in baseball these days

jonal
    jonal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2195

rip jose fernandes

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Easily one of the saddest things in recent memory involving sports. Just awful.

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

He was scheduled to pitch today, they gave him an extra day rest and were planning on starting him instead on Monday at home against the Mets, whom he owned. As a Met fan I read that yesterday and was none too happy they had to face Jose. Now I'd be happy if they were facing him. No doubt if he was pitching today he wouldn't have been cruising around in a boat at 3am. Reminds me of Tim Crews, Steve Olin and Bobby Ojeda boat wreck in the 90's although without the caliber of player, they were all trashed I do believe. Think they hit a dock in a speed boat.

play4win
    play4win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5173

illuminati shit. how in the hell do you die in a boat accident?

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

No seatbelts, no life vests, hitting rocks at 30-40 miles an hour... how do you survive is the better question? You ever see that .gif of those people getting bounced around by running across a wake? You either lead a very sheltered life where you've never see a video of a car crash or you're trolling.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24611

So sad. As comparison:

* Munson was age 32.
    * Clemente was age 38.

Dying suddenly at age 24, w/ world of talent. Just unfair.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7345

Mattingly will never get over this.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7905

RIP

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Since MLB contracts are guaranteed, does anyone know if Jose Fernandez family will get the rest of his contract $$$s?

slayer14

illuminati crap already started online

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Marlins game canceled for today
    When Darryl Kile (St. Louis Pitcher) died... was the St. Louis game cancelled that day? Anyone remember?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Quote Originally Posted by thellama View Post
    He was scheduled to pitch today, they gave him an extra day rest and were planning on starting him instead on Monday at home against the Mets, whom he owned. As a Met fan I read that yesterday and was none too happy they had to face Jose. Now I'd be happy if they were facing him. No doubt if he was pitching today he wouldn't have been cruising around in a boat at 3am. Reminds me of Tim Crews, Steve Olin and Bobby Ojeda boat wreck in the 90's although without the caliber of player, they were all trashed I do believe. Think they hit a dock in a speed boat.
    If he was pitching today he would have been cruising on a boat the night before at 3 am. Change of pitching date had nothing to do with the accident.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    Since MLB contracts are guaranteed, does anyone know if Jose Fernandez family will get the rest of his contract $$$s?
    The Marlins should have taken life insurance policy on him to hedge paying the contract if he died

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    When Darryl Kile (St. Louis Pitcher) died... was the St. Louis game cancelled that day? Anyone remember?
    Yes it was cancelled the day he was found dead.

slayer14

pavy you are a honest man do you believe the illuminati exists

First 123456 Last