TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Why Is (11) Wisconsin At (8) Michigan St. On Big Ten Network And Not A Major One?

I am totally baffled by this. I thought ESPN had rights to the Big Time games?

12:00 Eastern Start... on BTN? WTF?

I don't understand this?

Easily an ABC National Broadcast...

Easily an ESPN National Broadcast...

They could even change the time if they wanted.

Anyone have any ideas as to why?

mohye1980
    mohye1980's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4790

Btn is carried by all major satellite and cable companies. Why does it matter?

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by mohye1980 View Post
    Btn is carried by all major satellite and cable companies. Why does it matter?
    dont think his complaint is about BTN not being carried, more so that this game could be the 7pm game on ABC

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by turtlejc View Post
    dont think his complaint is about BTN not being carried, more so that this game could be the 7pm game on ABC
    Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I don't recall BTN ever carrying 2 high ranked teams against each other like this game. Furthermore, from a business standpoint... why didn't ESPN/ABC want this game? The Big Ten sucks?

Something odd about the starting time.... and not wanting this game for National Coverage.

xKMACKx
    xKMACKx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8449

Yeah, it feels like a 3:30 ABC game.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

I'm with you on this. Big 10 Network has practically been the only way I can see Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue football games.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

I'm worried about this one for my Wolverines.

ZINISTER
    ZINISTER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4786

Probably going to be a Super Fixer and they don't want the nation to see it!

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Because neither team moves the needle. Not saying they're not any good, but from a national tv standpoint they don't draw quite like the Bamas, Ohio States, Fla. States of the world. Notre Dame was the only reason Michigan St. was on primetime last week. For all the money they're paying the member schools, I'd think the BTN is promised a minimum number of "marquee" matchups. In addition, it helps draw eyes to the network that lesser games wouldn't.
    Last edited by swordsandtequila; 09-21-16 at 10:39 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chico2663

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Because neither team moves the needle. Not saying they're not any good, but from a national tv standpoint they don't draw quite like the Bamas, Ohio States, Fla. States of the world. Notre Dame was the only reason Michigan St. was on primetime last week. For all the money they're paying the member schools, I'd think the BTN is promised a minimum number of "marquee" matchups.

MalikHusam
    I LIKE IT
    MalikHusam's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 842

boring under in this 1?

ZINISTER

Boring to people that like to watch track meet games. These are simply two good teams that don't have the flash or media up on their nutz. If it doesn't entertain, it is not considered. Good football is not entertaining to the video age. The B10 gets no respect. They obviously have some good teams. They are knocking off anything considered good around the country from all conferences. Men playing against boys. The B10 did what I thought teams should do. Go large and drive the ball. Games has got pass happy and teams all loaded up on defenders that can sack the QB. The B10 will be in every playoff for the first ten years!

ZINISTER

Hard to win at Power football with less Power!

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Because neither team moves the needle. Not saying they're not any good, but from a national tv standpoint they don't draw quite like the Bamas, Ohio States, Fla. States of the world. Notre Dame was the only reason Michigan St. was on primetime last week. For all the money they're paying the member schools, I'd think the BTN is promised a minimum number of "marquee" matchups. In addition, it helps draw eyes to the network that lesser games wouldn't.
    This guy gets it.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It is interesting to see the games ABC chose to broadcast instead of the boring Big 10 game. At noon, they will go with Floirda State at USF. There should be a few points scored in that one. At 3:30, they are going with Penn State at Michigan. Really? Granted that the biggest horses arse in College Football (Harbaugh) is more entertaining than the other head coaches, but Michigan is an 18 1/2 point favorite and Michigan State is only a 5 1/2 point favorite. I can see one reason that this may have happened. If Wisky loses, they get dumped to another Big 10 TV spot next week. If they win they get promoted to ABC. Who does Wisky play net week. Michigan, of course.

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

The Disney brass probably saw this game before season and didn't think either team would be undefeated or ranked and decided to pass. I just put max units on MSU -5.5, Wisconsin offense is putrid and starting new qb with no experience.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Both teams have given up a total of 41 points this season. Wisky in 3 games, MSU in two. This could well be a sandwich home letdown game for Sparty, who goes on the road again next week against another Indiana team that could well be undefeated. Wisky goes to Michigan. I think that the only wager, if you are one of the desperate players in here who have to wager every game on T.V, is the Under, which now sits at Under 43. Otherwise, PASS.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Wisconsin was supposed to be 7-5 and not very interesting so a good game to give the Big 10 Network. They can't get them all right. People will watch whatever they put on so no problem.

ZINISTER

They had my Zips on CBSsports lsst week. Was going to show case a high flying Marshall Thundering Herd offense. The fans seen a high scoring Zips tear Marshall up. We had some thing to cheer about at the bar. Take a look at the Zips this week. If RB Warren Ball is back from undisclosed they have a solid team with or without him. They have nice depth at RB. Warren is a OSU transfer. He was closed out by Elliot and Hyde. He is running very strong. They are getting points at home against a beat up App. St. GL

TheSideBet
    TheSideBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    I'm worried about this one for my Wolverines.
    Why? Don't the Wolverines play Penn State?

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

It shouldn't even be called the big ten. It should be the big 2 and little 8 until mich proves they are back

ZINISTER

OSU, Mich., Wisc., MSU, Nebraska?Which 2? Gotta be OSU & ? They all can beat top 25 teams. crickets..........The B10 keeps dominating out of conference play and 2 of em should be playing for the national championship. These little boy leagues with small ars defenders that get pushed into the ground by the East Coast maulers.

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17000

Quote Originally Posted by ZINISTER View Post
    OSU, Mich., Wisc., MSU, Nebraska?Which 2? Gotta be OSU & ? They all can beat top 25 teams. crickets..........The B10 keeps dominating out of conference play and 2 of em should be playing for the national championship. These little boy leagues with small ars defenders that get pushed into the ground by the East Coast maulers.
    someone needs to put a stop to penn st once and for all.

Uncle Vito
    Uncle Vito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 927

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    The Disney brass probably saw this game before season and didn't think either team would be undefeated or ranked and decided to pass. I just put max units on MSU -5.5, Wisconsin offense is putrid and starting new qb with no experience.

The game time and channel were decided early last week. ESPN decided to go with Mich-PSU for the national 2:30 game on abc instead of MSU-UW. Its an odd move that only the Disney execs know the real reason. It probably came down to the Pennsylvania tv market > Wisconsin tv market, coupled with a presumed MSU loss to ND. I still have my doubts that PSU-UM would have a higher tv rating than a top 10 matchup of UW-MSU in the same time slot, but that's just me. And for the record, Wisconsin-Michigan next week will be 2:30 on either ESPN or ABC. It will not be on BTN, I can guarantee that.

Uncle Vito
    Uncle Vito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 927

Quote Originally Posted by ZINISTER View Post
    Ask me again in two weeks. It's OSU and then Mich, MSU, UW all behind in the 2nd tier. Michigan is overrated imo. I think they lose 3-4 Big Ten games. They should've lost last week if Colorado had a punter and their qb doesn't get hurt. UW is ranked about 7 spots too high. They've also had some really shitty luck with injuries the first three games. They don't have the depth to sustain the injury bug.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by fried cheese View Post
    someone needs to put a stop to penn st once and for all.
    The NCAA messed up, as usual. They deserved the death penalty. Instead, Paterno gets his wins back, and penalties were decreased. They went on a hunt at Syracuse, and found minimal things. Shit that happens 10x as much at any SEC school, and took away scholarships. Along with wins from an all-time great basketball coach. Yeah, yeah he's overrated in many minds.

Just absurd how the NCAA works. They allow certain schools, and coaches to get away with murder while coming down with the sledgehammer on other programs. They need to be abolished. It's a business. Not an association for student athletes, their well-being, and fairness across the board.

BTN is just another business trying to make money. This game should be national, but as someone mentioned they can hide behind their network and maybe setup a huge game next week. I would layoff this one.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    The NCAA messed up, as usual. They deserved the death penalty. Instead, Paterno gets his wins back, and penalties were decreased.
    They were forced to in court because courts use facts. Try educating yourself instead of relying on day 1 headlines.

ZINISTER

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Vito View Post
    Ask me again in two weeks. It's OSU and then Mich, MSU, UW all behind in the 2nd tier. Michigan is overrated imo. I think they lose 3-4 Big Ten games. They should've lost last week if Colorado had a punter and their qb doesn't get hurt. UW is ranked about 7 spots too high. They've also had some really shitty luck with injuries the first three games. They don't have the depth to sustain the injury bug.
    Totally agree Mich. is over hyped. The B10 is a tough conference to get through undefeated. If you have a few mistakes you can be beat.

jimminn
    jimminn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5771

Because Michigan state is going to win in a blow out type game maybe 35 to 10