SBR Forum
    SBR Forum's Avatar Administrator
    Betpoints: 993413

SBR's New How to Bet On Sports Page: Tell Us What You Think

Hi guys,

While you may already be too advanced to benefit from the How To Bet On Sports tutorial page, remember that there was a time when betting on sports was new to you.

Please give it a read and share your feedback. Let us know if we fumbled the ball on any of the covered topics or if you find a mistake, or if there's something you think we should add that would benefit a newbie starting out.

We'll award some betpoints for the best critiques and feedback.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Nice!

i like the betting terms glossary

matbe add + Expected Value (EV), "public bet" and units

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Looks like a lot of work went into that. And well written.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Need to add a Soccer betting link. 99% percent of forum posters, new and old, do not understand 3 way betting. I have to answer 100 questions each year like this: "I bet the ML in the Chelsea game at -275 and the game was a draw. Why did my bet lose?"

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20483

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Need to add a Soccer betting link. 99% percent of forum posters, new and old, do not understand 3 way betting. I have to answer 100 questions each year like this: "I bet the ML in the Chelsea game at -275 and the game was a draw. Why did my bet lose?"
    Yes, soccer surely big enough to warrant a page. And explain Asian Handicaps too.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

This is very well done....if i had to edit 1 thing it would be the tendencies of a sharp portion... "a pro who does this for a living" can be removed..

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Yep yep

soccer woukd be good

keep them coming folks

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Soccer probably least understood as far as betting options

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

One question I had trouble getting my head around when I first started betting with books using American Odds was understanding the idea that people added the vig to their stake. Why they did it was a question I had to go searching for ana answer to early on. I see you talk about it in the odds style section but don't really explain for a non-US person why bettors do it.

I know it sounds like a simple one but I bet a lot of non-US bettors come in the same way. It's just such a foreign concept if you have spent your life using decimals and fractions.
    Last edited by Optional; 09-03-16 at 03:26 PM.

Hareeba!

Another thing which I don't see mentioned but perhaps understandable to a mainly US audience is Betting Exchanges.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It is s very helpful page

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    One question I had trouble getting my head around when I first started betting with books using American Odds was understanding the idea that people added the vig to their stake. Why they did it was a question I had to go searching for ana answer to early on. I see you talk about it in the odds style section but don't really explain for a non-US person why bettors do it.

I know it sounds like a simple one but I bet a lot of non-US bettors come in the same way. It's just such a foreign concept if you have spent your life using decimals and fractions.
    It's a lot easier to add the vig in bet.

You want to bet a -110 line? You give the book $110 to place the bet. If you win you get back $210.

Hareeba!

It's a lot easier to add the vig in bet.

You want to bet a -110 line? You give the book $110 to place the bet. If you win you get back $210.
    Yeah, it's hardly rocket science but Optional's point is that that's totally foreign to those brought up betting in the UK or Australia for example where we have always tended to concentrate on the amount we are risking on the bet and tending to keep that constant.

I know that Yanks generally have an awful time coping with fractional and decimal odds. It really comes down to what you have become accustomed to in your learning days.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    Yeah, it's hardly rocket science but Optional's point is that that's totally foreign to those brought up betting in the UK or Australia for example where we have always tended to concentrate on the amount we are risking on the bet and tending to keep that constant.

I know that Yanks generally have an awful time coping with fractional and decimal odds. It really comes down to what you have become accustomed to in your learning days.
    It's more of a tradition. When betting started 100 years or more ago there were no calculators. It was easy for bookie and bettor to remember -110.

Hareeba!

It's more of a tradition. When betting started 100 years or more ago there were no calculators. It was easy for bookie and bettor to remember -110.
    And there we no calculators when I started betting!
    But we had learned simple arithmetic and betting 100 at 9/10 to win 90 wasn't too much of a head-shrinker.