packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3244

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    All your posts are drop dead stupid. You started this thread off by asking when the last time USA played a competitive game was, when the answer is literally the last game they played. You can't make this shit up.

You say that the Dream Team would mop the floor with these current USA opponents, and to that I say, if we assume this to be true, you've only proven my point. Regardless of whether there's been a decline in the USA product or an improvement on the world front, or some combination thereof, your assertion highlights the idea that the gap has narrowed.

As far as the draft goes, plenty of international players HAVE been drafted to the NBA compared to a quarter century ago, but that's an ancillary topic to the one at hand. I'm simply talking about team vs. team, not whether or not some unknown from the Eastern Bloc gets a contract to ball in the United States. How hard is that to comprehend? I mean if your stance is so cut and dried, why do you feel to need to go off on a tangent to substantiate it? Why can't you just focus on team vs. team outcomes, and how they've faired since the inaugural Dream Team? I think we know the answer to that, at least I do.
    Munny I wasted more then enough time with you yesterday,rant to someone else.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    14 of this year's 30 first round draft picks were foreign-born. Most ever. Some of them played college ball here (e.g., Ben Simmons #1 pick), but we're talking Olympic ball and those guys will play for their home countries. World players *have* made a real mark on the draft, you just didn't know it.
    Hey mate that's fair,how long has Simmons been playing in the States though before he played for LSU. When im talking foreign mostly mean players like Rubio who were drafted right out of Spain.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11930

International basketball is catching up to the NBA. There are several players that could play in the NBA but choose not to. The pay is getting as outrageous as the nba as well. We're still the best and the gold standard but we're no longer unbeatable and opposing teams know it. These Olympic games were a battle for USA men. Some were closely in the balance to the end. It had nothing to do with being motivated.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7210

This usa team is full of individuals who all want to take the shot. That was why some games got close.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Hey mate that's fair,how long has Simmons been playing in the States though before he played for LSU. When im talking foreign mostly mean players like Rubio who were drafted right out of Spain.
    Packerd - Simmons was a star in Australia before he came to the US. He was playing FIBA under 17 ball for the Aussies. He came to US 3 years ago but still went back to Australia on occasion. He is most certainly foreign.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    This usa team is full of individuals who all want to take the shot. That was why some games got close.
    Yet people think Westbrick and Harden would have helped... lol

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Packerd - Simmons was a star in Australia before he came to the US. He was playing FIBA under 17 ball for the Aussies. He came to US 3 years ago but still went back to Australia on occasion. He is most certainly foreign.
    Fair enough,I know a lot of Canadians are making their mark in the NBA and College know but their National Team isn't for some reason.

Mac4Lyfe

I think US shows up today but I'm still throwing a bit on Serbia ML +1040.

packerd_00

Coach K quit yesterday eh,this is his last game coaching for the States.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coach-k...4995--nba.html

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4587

Fair enough,I know a lot of Canadians are making their mark in the NBA and College know but their National Team isn't for some reason.
    Thats because they choked in the FIBA americas tournament last year. They lost an automatic bid to the olympics in the semis to Venezuela. They should have definitely made it in.

I have not read the entire thread but anyone with a clue about international basketball knows the gap has been narrowing and closed at certain points over the last 20 years. Starting with the 2000 olympics there are probably a dozen games that the US won by single digits and a few others that were losses. Just because they have lost only once over the past 10 years doesnt mean the gap was pushed back to where it was in 1992. Coach K did a good job turning things around for USA basketball but if the top-tier of NBa stars choose not to play for the national team going forward, we might have another 5-6 year period with teams like 2002, 2004 in the near future.
    Points Awarded:

Eddy Munny gave convick 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mac4Lyfe

Canada has young talent but don't know how to play international team ball. They are still behind a lot of international teams. it's going to take them a few years to catch up.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by convick View Post
    Thats because they choked in the FIBA americas tournament last year. They lost an automatic bid to the olympics in the semis to Venezuela. They should have definitely made it in.

I have not read the entire thread but anyone with a clue about international basketball knows the gap has been narrowing and closed at certain points over the last 20 years. Starting with the 2000 olympics there are probably a dozen games that the US won by single digits and a few others that were losses. Just because they have lost only once over the past 10 years doesnt mean the gap was pushed back to where it was in 1992. Coach K did a good job turning things around for USA basketball but if the top-tier of NBa stars choose not to play for the national team going forward, we might have another 5-6 year period with teams like 2002, 2004 in the near future.
    Seriously yeah no excuse for losing to Venezuela of all countries.

packerd_00

Canada has young talent but don't know how to play international team ball. They are still behind a lot of international teams. it's going to take them a few years to catch up.
    Yeah I hear you,Britain has a couple NBA players, Loul Deng are best player.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4587

Seriously yeah no excuse for losing to Venezuela of all countries.
    Yeah, it was a shocker. They could have still made it in this year but a few guys including Wiggins skipped the Qualifying tournament and France took that spot.

The Coach K news was known for some time now. I think after the 2012 olympics he was ready to call it quits but eventually agreed to stay on until after this tournament.

Mac4Lyfe

Coach K quit yesterday eh,this is his last game coaching for the States.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coach-k...4995--nba.html
    Coach K is going on 70. He gave the last 12 years of his life to USA basketball, while still coaching Duke. That's an incredible commitment. I wouldn't expect him to give another 4 years. He might even retire from Duke? Hopefully the guys play hard for him today.

Mac4Lyfe

Popovich is leading the next Olympic team. I'd like to see Billy Donovan coach the team down the line.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by convick View Post
    Yeah, it was a shocker. They could have still made it in this year but a few guys including Wiggins skipped the Qualifying tournament and France took that spot.

The Coach K news was known for some time now. I think after the 2012 olympics he was ready to call it quits but eventually agreed to stay on until after this tournament.
    Shit thats a shame,cant have Wiggins skipping Qualifiers,Canada isn't loaded with NBA Studs like the States is. I just come across that news yesterday,didn't know he was planning on leaving previously.

packerd_00

Coach K is going on 70. He gave the last 12 years of his life to USA basketball, while still coaching Duke. That's an incredible commitment. I wouldn't expect him to give another 4 years. He might even retire from Duke? Hopefully the guys play hard for him today.
    Yeah I was just seeing if youd heard mate.I think they'll show up today.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 08-21-16 at 01:32 PM.

Mac4Lyfe

Yeah I was just seeing if youd heard mate.I think they'll show up today.
    I threw a c note on the Serbs just for shit n giggles. I'll add a live bet around the 2nd quarter for whichever team looks best. That's been working for me in these Olympics.

packerd_00

I threw a c note on the Serbs just for shit n giggles. I'll add a live bet around the 2nd quarter for whichever team looks best. That's been working for me in these Olympics.
    Good luck mate.

Mac4Lyfe

Good luck mate.
    Thanks much...

I really want to hammer USA, especially the first quarter but i have to stay disciplined and find a good spot.

Mac4Lyfe

What's so crazy us that Deandre Jordan is our best player on the team.

My TV was on fukking delay, I was a quarter behind. Too late to get a live bet. USA kicking ass midway in the 2nd.

Great game thus far. US killing the boards.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

munny you see the GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAP

turn the game on

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Popovich is leading the next Olympic team. I'd like to see Billy Donovan coach the team down the line.
    What about Brad Stevens?

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    What about Brad Stevens?
    Stevens is like these Euro coaches, likes to muck up the game and make it ugly. He's good with lessor talent but I don't think he can manage top superstars and let their talent show. He does know how to win tourneys though, i'll give him that but can he lead these over inflated egos.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24681

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post

turn the game on
    Between your mom's legs? Yep, I've seen it. Actually, I smelt if before I ever saw it. Get that hoe some deodorizer.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post

turn the game on
    I think Serbia blew their wad on the Aussies. They're just happy to be here. US should win 2nd half large as well.

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Definitely some of those foreign players did some of their development here. But we're discussing Olympics, and those players will definitely play for their home countries. If nothing else, all the NBA-experienced guys on the international squads mean they aren't intimidated any more. Every good team has multiple guys (Spain had 11!) that have played with our guys night in and night out.

Mac4Lyfe

I'm riding the boys here...
    US Spread -5½ -115 for 2nd Half

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24681

I think Serbia blew their wad on the Aussies. They're just happy to be here. US should win 2nd half large as well.
    True. Serbia is not the second best team in these Olympics. U.S. pretty much earned the gold once they beat Spain in the semis, which was a close game btw... but don't tell that to CWD, he couldn't bear the thought, and is liable to go full-retard in fighting the good fight on behalf of the reputation of USA basketball.

packerd_00

What's so crazy us that Deandre Jordan is our best player on the team.

My TV was on fukking delay, I was a quarter behind. Too late to get a live bet. USA kicking ass midway in the 2nd.

Great game thus far. US killing the boards.
    Yeah I just had a feeling the States werent going to let them hang this time,the Serbs already had their bite at the apple.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    Definitely some of those foreign players did some of their development here. But we're discussing Olympics, and those players will definitely play for their home countries. If nothing else, all the NBA-experienced guys on the international squads mean they aren't intimidated any more. Every good team has multiple guys (Spain had 11!) that have played with our guys night in and night out.
    Yeah but like I was saying yesterday,this foreign player phenomenon isn't new,we had stud players in the former Yugoslavia back in the early 90's with Kukoc and Petrovic,guys that could go up against the best in the NBA and compete on their level,those guys were never intimidated.

Mac4Lyfe

USA really motivated today. Best defense the entire tourney. They must have taken their last matchup personally.

packerd_00

Probably started to hear the whispers,I was reading a lot of articles in the last number of days,writers were questioning whether they should go back to using College players again.

Mac4Lyfe

I still have to give big props to Serbia. I think that country is a little bigger than Houston and they seem to be competing and winning in a lot of sports.

First 12345 Last