Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

No wonder BlackHippy is all fired up

Georgia cops tase wrong man during warrant stop, blame victim

Police in Savannah, Georgia, tased and handcuffed a black man during a warrant check ‒ except they got the wrong man. Now competing videos of the incident have led to a war of words between the police department and a defense lawyer over who’s at fault.

Patrick Mumford, 24, was sitting in a driveway on the evening of February 1 when three Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department (SCMPD) officers approached him. They had been dispatched to the area to locate an individual at a specific address who had been in possession of a cell phone involved in a robbery in California. On the way to the call, the officers did a warrant check on the name Michael Clay, and learned there was an active warrant out for the suspect in Cobb County, Georgia.

<center></center>
    “What’s your name, man?” an unidentified SCMPD officer asks in videos released by both sides.
    “Okay… Patrick,” Mumford responds.
    Less than a minute after police arrive on the scene, Mumford was tased twice and handcuffed.
    Those are the facts of the case that both sides agree upon. From there, the stories diverge.
    In Mumford’s version of events, based on a video released by the Claiborne Firm, the officers never asked him for identification to verify whether or not he was Clay. They immediately order him to stand and put his hands on the car. He then tries to sit back down in the passenger seat, repeatedly asking what he did and what is happening.
    <center></center>
    “You got a warrant, dude, you got a warrant…” an officer says as he handcuffs Mumford, who says he just returned from a visit with his probation officer. A struggle ensues, and he is tased twice.
    It was only then that the officers removed Mumford’s wallet and looked at his ID.
    "Patrick tells them the truth, and they never ask him for his ID. They assume he's lying and falsely arrest him,” Will Claiborne, the defense attorney who released the video, told WJCL. “Young black men who reach for their back pocket to get their wallets have bad things happen to them, so what was Patrick supposed to do?"
    <center></center>
    On Thursday, SCMPD released the unedited videos from three different officers’ body cameras.
    Police Chief Joseph H. Lumpkin Sr. called the edited version released by the Claiborne Firm “misleading” and “apparently intended to be inflammatory.”
    “The video released by the defense attorney was edited and omits significant portions wherein a relative asks the individual to be cooperative,” Lumpkin said in a statement. “The relative on the video also suggests the arrestee is similar in appearance to the wanted person, who purportedly lived at that residence. The edited video also omits other calm interactions the officers had with relatives and the arrestee.”
    Mumford was “uncooperative and although he presented a first name at some point, it was unclear to the officers,” the chief said, noting that Mumford “resembled the wanted person.”
    <center></center>
    In the videos, an officer can be heard telling bystanders that Mumford and Clay “look a lot… a good bit alike, ma’am. It’s not far off.”
    Clay’s mother, who was on the scene, admitted that the two men look similar, according to the police report, as cited by the Daily Beast.
    The three half-hour videos were released to the public in response to the Claiborne Firm’s video, and in the interest of transparency, Lumpkin said.
    “We are reviewing the actions and decisions which our officers made in the current case. In doing so, we must consider all the facts and not rush to unfair judgements based on highly edited videos which are apparently intended to mislead and inflame the public against the officers involved,” he added.
    <center></center>
    Claiborne does not officially represent Mumford, but told WJCL that he is speaking as an advocate for him. The lawyer maintains that the officers, not Mumford, were the aggressors in the incident.
    "We let the video speak for itself," Claiborne said. "These two gentlemen don't look anything like each other. Patrick was minding his own business, sitting in a car that he owns, in a driveway of a house where he resides. Law enforcement came upon him, they were immediately aggressive, it speaks for itself."

The defense attorney blames poor training for the mistake, and hopes the incident can be a teaching moment.
    “The problem is Patrick Mumford doesn’t look like Michael Clay, he ain’t Michael Clay, and they roll up on him like he is,” Claiborne told the Daily Beast. “When he says his name is Patrick, they don’t believe him.”
    “If they had had adequate training, they would have known not all black men look the same.”

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3483

Cops abuse their power all the time,I know a couple of Cops that I went to school with,and their arrogant f@cks.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Cops abuse their power all the time,I know a couple of Cops that I went to school with,and their arrogant f@cks.
    True...the cops are lying here - you can clearly see and hear everything on the video.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

i recommend callin' 911 from a cheap "throw-away" cell phone, sending them to a neighbor's house (preferably a black neighbor if you have any), and when they arrive and hop out with guns drawn and start kickin' in doors, etc., at your neighbor's house, sneak in and steal their patrol car, haul ass with it and torch it a mile or so down the road....

time to start being aggressive in tactics, not just "reactive"

Auto Donk

having watched the brother in the vid, it's clear he'd been smokin' some of the "good shit," and this was way more than he was equipped to handle while high......

fun to be that high until the f'n abusive out of control cops show up.....\

just more evidence of why people are sick and tired of this bullshit and ready to kill these fukheads that act out under the "badge"....

I'd have loved to have pulled the trigger on a cop acting like these

Auto Donk

ps.... THEY ALL LOOK ALIKE

STUPID FUKKIN WHITE COPS.... SHO0OT THEM!!!!!!!!!!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3483

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    True...the cops are lying here - you can clearly see and hear everything on the video.
    Yep,they weren't going to take the responsibility.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Idiot cops like this group have many not feeling much sympathy for when a cop gets shot and killed.

These officers should all be suspended without pay and either sent back to academy for proper training or fired for incompetence and abuse of power.

He did not have to show his identification to the cops.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jjgold, and Russian Rocket

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

When the cop asks u to get out of the car and u don't, ur at fault. All he would have to do is get out of car, they may cuff him but once they saw id it would all b over. Instead he wanted to b a typical negro and disobey

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonae101 View Post
    When the cop asks u to get out of the car and u don't, ur at fault. All he would have to do is get out of car, they may cuff him but once they saw id it would all b over. Instead he wanted to b a typical negro and disobey
    get back to me when you get surrounded by a group of cops and ordered to give up your basic rights for just sitting in your car and minding your own business.

since you are so good at following orders, kindly shut the hell up.
    Points Awarded:

chico2663 gave Grits n' Gravy 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonae101 View Post
    Agree with this....just answer questions without being combative and the likelihood of being tased goes way down.

have had two instances with law enforcement through the years and I followed their orders (even though I thought they were wrong both times). And sure enough I didn't get beat, tased or shot.

seems like common sense to me.
    Last edited by mpaschal34; 07-15-16 at 05:30 PM.

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

Just another day in anerikkka rocky smh

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    Agree with this....just answer questions without being combative and the likelihood of being tased goes way down.

have had two instances with law enforcement through the years and I followed their orders (even though I thought they were wrong both times). And sure enough I didn't get beat, tased or shot.

seems like common sense to me.
    I agree. The cops should've been less combative and listened to Patrick.

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON

Gritter

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    get back to me when you get surrounded by a group of cops and ordered to give up your basic rights for just sitting in your car and minding your own business.

I have a r had it happened. And once I got out of car when they asked me to, and then id'd me they said sorry for the confusion and that was it. Likely same thing would have happened here if he had just done what they said

irish1
    Update your status
    irish1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5081

Quote Originally Posted by blackHIPPY View Post
    I agree. The cops should've been less combative and listened to Patrick.
    Cops should have been more patient but Patrick should've just got out of the car and simply did what they asked. If they cuffed him and even brought him in it would have been straightened out. Both at fault.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This guy is lucky now...will probably get a nice settlement

Cops like this don't deserve to be on the force

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

communication breakdown

Sacha call me
    Points Awarded:

Russian Rocket gave manny24 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hippy call me need to discuss some stuff like race relations and weed

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post

happened to my WHITE dad.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

me and BigHips bout to ride out on some fufu fukks up in here

Points Awarded:

blackHIPPY gave Fidel_CashFlow 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Hippy call me need to discuss some stuff like race relations and weed
    Ima hit you on your Tyler line jj

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Double Dab to this with me , BigHips

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10452

the so full of hate

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Just another video showing a black disobeying the long dik of the law.

Why be so fukking stupid?

Let them arrest you. Let them find out they got the wrong person. Call an attorney... and sue the department.

Stop resisting arrests!!!!

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post
    Double Dab to this with me , BigHips

im bout to do some dabs right now
    watchu thing about this one

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Just another video showing a black disobeying the long dik of the law.

Why be so fukking stupid?

Let them arrest you. Let them find out they got the wrong person. Call an attorney... and sue the department.

Stop resisting arrests!!!!
    Gotta agree, this clearly went on for a while prior to the start of the video

Guy had many chances to avoid this

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

If you heard of the uc cop that killed sam dubose this is him. He is a nice kid who should never have been a cop. I went to opening day with my group for 5 years because he is engaged to my friends daughter. Sam dubose is a guy that I knew since he was born. He was a weed boy but for a goof he was alright by me. Only thing I had a problem with sam is he thought it was funny to give titty twisters to this fat old man.
    Last edited by chico2663; 07-16-16 at 12:40 AM.