Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15015

Coochy......check in for the election.

Is there any value in this labour party?

[IMG][/IMG]

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9208

Not looking like it Jay

They need 75 to win outright

Coalition has 71, Labour 64 and Others 6

Only 9 seats left undecided so labour need to win all of them just to finish ahead with 73.

Can still be a hung parliment and whoever makes a deal with the others will rule.

But unlikely Labour outright.
    Last edited by Optional; 07-02-16 at 08:39 AM.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

A very real possibility of a hung parliament here JV meaning we spend another 220M+ in 12 months time...

The coalition should win but there's almost ZERO value there as a bet...

Even if coalition do win it certainly won't be a majority parliament...

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

So even if it is a hung Parliament, that bet will still pay out to the winner, correct?

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    So even if it is a hung Parliament, that bet will still pay out to the winner, correct?
    Good question...

I think that would be refunded as a hung parliament option wasn't offered...

Ask CS at your book if that happens...

Optional

Was wondering same thing myself.

I think opposite of Cooch though. Expect that whoever forms Govt will be graded as winner. Outright majority or not.

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Was wondering same thing myself.

I think opposite of Cooch though. Expect that whoever forms Govt will be graded as winner. Outright majority or not.
    True though it could be weeks before anyone knows who will hold power.

Then there's the potential of close seats being recounted...

Oi oi oi. Nobodys really the victor when political instability wins the day...

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

With Opie's growing interest in European & Australian politics, i though he'd have checked in by now.

We all know how upset he get when it comes to foreign governments and economics.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    Oi oi oi. Nobodys really the victor when political instability wins the day...
    Agree.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Crazy ass country and now they're forcing me to become a citizen this year. Fukkin idiots voting for Australian Health Party not realising it's actually an anti-vaccination party, jerkoffs betting Pauline in and wasted votes on the Sex Party yet again.

I understand the concept of compulsory voting but there's a reason most other countries don't force people to vote. Donkeys belong in a barn.

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Crazy ass country and now they're forcing me to become a citizen this year.
    Shari don't let Pauline Hanson hear you say that...

ACoochy

Conservative air-bag Andrew Bolt already calling on Turnbull to resign

Malcolm's days r no doubt numbered.

Now to find a book that has a line on just how long he will remain in the top job...

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Crazy ass country and now they're forcing me to become a citizen this year. Fukkin idiots voting for Australian Health Party not realising it's actually an anti-vaccination party, jerkoffs betting Pauline in and wasted votes on the Sex Party yet again.

I understand the concept of compulsory voting but there's a reason most other countries don't force people to vote. Donkeys belong in a barn.
    Oi!! You know what they say where you come from... Dont like it go home!

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Compulsory voting you say.

I hope this part of Australian culture has at least resulted in a more educated voting population. In the US it is pretty clear that there are many people that really shouldn't vote.

The biggest problem is the the low information and uneducated voter.

When I see some of the political opinions and facts, if that's what you can call them, from the general US population, it almost makes me relieved that our vote doesn't count.

It's a bit of a double edged sword.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post

I hope this part of Australian culture has at least resulted in a more educated voting population. In the US it is pretty clear that there are many people that really shouldn't vote.

When I see some of the political opinions and facts, if that's what you can call them, from the general US population, it almost makes me relieved that our vote doesn't count.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB, Itsamazing777, and DwightShrute

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post

I think it's a misnomer to say anyone is not educated enough to vote. A poor immigrant has far less need to understand the effects of falling GDP than you do but still wants their personal needs met by govt.

Personally, I think the best plus about compulsory voting is that it stops the situation where the loudest and best organized lobby group has too much power in the process.

And if you are really too lazy to get off your ass between 8.00am and 6pm on a Saturday and go do your duty, and also too cheap to pay the $50 fine... then you just return it saying you felt too unwell to leave the house and thats it.

Not any serious negatives to it imho.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

I think it's a misnomer to say anyone is not educated enough to vote. A poor immigrant has far less need to understand the effects of falling GDP than you do but still wants their personal needs met by govt...
    In the US, many voters, yes voters, won't even know the name of the current VP. They learn who the VP running with their candidate is when the read the ballot.

They are not your example, in fact, many of them will end up voting against their own personal needs by the government.

The guy who doesn't care about some issues but does about others is not the voter I am addressing.

Not even close. I'm addressing the voters that don't know one candidate from the other and thus would have no idea who would be better for any issues, including their personal needs.

Those voters are not only low informed and often mis-informed, they are not educated about politics, elections, or America. They are easy prey for sharp campaigns.

And they are not immigrants.

Optional

They sound like some seriously backward people. But still, if they are motivated enough to go vote in a country where it isnt compulsory surely they must think they know what they want?

And if you think about it, many Dems probably think Reps are ignorant and voting against their own best interests too... where do you draw the line on who can and who cant?

Anyway, compulsory voting would also make it useless for anyone to try to use uneducated people for a cause.

Optional

I don't think many people are that ill informed in Australia btw. I am sure many don't take it very seriously but most know the basics.

There was 8 names in my electorate. I knew who I wanted first and second and who I want last and second last... but I just winged it with the other 4 and guessed. I imagine a lot of that goes on.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Like I said, I know it's a part of Australian culture and I do hope and it probably does result in a more educated voting populace.

You'd be surprised what the campaigners will find in America.

They sound like some seriously backward people. But still, if they are motivated enough to go vote in a country where it isnt compulsory surely they must think they know what they want?...

As for as knowing what they want if they did vote, unfortunately many votes are driven by other factors...like race, sex, and fear.

I saw one lady disagree with every action and policy listed, but when she found it was her candidate (Hillary Clinton), she decided it was more important to have a woman in office than have someone that she agrees with politically.

When Obama was running, the idea of a black president brought out people who never voted. Not only could they not name the VP, they just agreed with any policy claimed to be tied to him, even if it was opposite of Obama's platform.

They admitted that they voted so there could be a black president. They had no idea who he was or what he could do for them.

Optional

Honestly KVB, as an outsider it feels like a large part of the US electorate is polarized along party lines and whatever the point or issue seem to argue the party appropriate line like they believe it heart and soul. Whatever the real pros/cons. It seems to be a symptom of the system to me. I don't think other countries have it. I'm not sure but dont think so. Not Western countries like UK and Germany at least.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7892

Optional

Don't worry Dwight.

Our version of Trump fared well by the looks.

shari91

Oi!! You know what they say where you come from... Dont like it go home!
    You know I friggen tried!!!!!!!!! All that money wasted in court and I'm still here ffs. Not like it's a bad place to be "stuck" and I've actually grown to love it but I don't like being forced to do anything whether it's to become a citizen, vote, etc. If you just leave me to my own devices that's stuff I'd naturally do anyway. I still vote in Canada and the US despite it being a pain in the ass from here because I value those who fought for my right to but I don't like the idea of so many wasted votes simply because people have no interest but want to avoid the fine. That's a bit messed up to me.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

Holy crap Shari, i didnt know you had "tri-citizenship"?
    I am sure it is a long elaborate and complicated story but, in a nutshell why exactly are you stuck in Australia?

shari91

Holy crap Shari, i didnt know you had "tri-citizenship"?
    I am sure it is a long elaborate and complicated story but, in a nutshell why exactly are you stuck in Australia?
    I'd need my (hopefully soon to be ex) husband's signature on my child's passport form to leave Australia with him and he wouldn't give it. Which is understandable because he obviously wants to keep him close but at the time I'd only been here for a couple of years and I wanted to go home to my family and friends. Now things have changed and this has almost become a third home so it's much better. Not 100% but almost there