BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Proffett View Post
    It's not his opinion. He's the human embodiment of the Devil's Advocate....... Finally the ratings are starting to plummet and that's why he's out the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Exactly. Yet nobody else here seems to understand this.
    I respect you two so I'm not gonna UNLEASH (ok, *groan*) on y'all, but rather, just point a few things out:

1. You guys (and those that think similarly) haven't cornered the market on perspicacity that's eluding the commoners... sorry to break that to you all. You haven't figured out what's really going on while others are in the broadcasting darkness. No siree, Bob.

Most (please note I didn't say ALL) watch the show... *wait for it*... merely for entertainment value; Most understand they're not going to derive some keen insight listening to Smith and Bayless pontificate on sports/social issues. Hell, I passionately despise all the BS malarkey Soap Operas & WWE wrestling deliver as their M.O. -- BUT, I recognize the entertainment value some people get from watching those things. Different strokes and all.

2. Most that have actually watched the show more than once or twice know the real dealio, which is: For the most part, Stephen A gives his true opinion (love it or hate it), while Bayless (most times) does his tired old shtick of taking the contrarian view in a lame, calculated attempt to be the "smartest guy in the room" (and to fuel the show... it is a 'debate show', after all... duh). But even with that known as a given, there are definitely times when Bayless is being sincere and giving his true opinion (mostly when the show bleeds over to social issues). Sometimes Bayless will even be sincere with his sports views, and it's really not hard to discern when he's being sincere and when he's doing his contrarian shtick.

3. It's flat wrong to state Bayless is bailing b/c of a ratings plummet; you can just say that to fit the narrative you want to believe/spout, but it's simply not true. Facts are: First Take, to date, is the highest rated program on ESPN2. ESPN offered in the neighborhood of 4 million per to keep Bayless... but, the real reason he's leaving is because Jamie Horowitz (new Fox Sports head honcho who worked with Skip previously on ESPN) was hellbent on raiding ESPN talent and overpaying to get them. Hmmm, let's see... who's gonna leave 1.5 mil per year on the table and NOT leave. Ah... nobody. THAT'S why Bayless left. Period. Nothing to do w/ratings.

4. Bottom line: Most understand *exactly* what First Take is and watch it b/c they like sports and find it entertaining/amusing... if not enlightening. Most that are gonna flood the theaters for the new Independence Day movie understand we weren't really attacked by aliens 20yrs ago, either. They simply want to be entertained. And, oh yeah... 5.5 per, Skip wins.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Skip made out like a bandit

DeathAdder
    DeathAdder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8209

Good hire by FOX. Taking all of ESPN's talent. Kellerman going to bomb with Steven A

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

ESPN is a grease-fire. They got it all wrong.

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

Nobody cares about these on air personality. We care about the games. Fox, if you want viewers, get the games. Espn makes stars out of Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless, not the other way around.

First 12