POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

Quote Originally Posted by mikefan1034 View Post
    First ballot hall of famer without question. One of the most clutchest hitters to ever play the game. What jeter meant to the Yankees is what Ortiz means for the Red Sox.
    Jeter meant a lot more than two measly championships to the Yankees, and he also never did steroids.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Ben Zobrist is 35 and seems to be getting better. He must be juicing?

Seems like a big of a generalization.
    Is it more realistic to believe that Ortiz is literally the ONLY athlete to ever put up these kinds of numbers at his age??

Lets get real, people.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Can someone please present to me a valid argument as to why Ortiz gets into the hall while Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, Clemens, etc. don't?

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by frogsrangers View Post
    Can someone please present to me a valid argument as to why Ortiz gets into the hall while Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, Clemens, etc. don't?
    Bonds and Clemens are 100% HoF players. McGwire should get in. Sosa and Palmeiro don't belong based on production and the fact that neither were best in their position at any time in their career.

Ortiz is a HoF. Main piece of 3 WS titles and produced in the clutch along with his monster numbers. The fact that he played DH shouldn't matter. It is a position in the game. He has been awesome for over a decade.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Is it more realistic to believe that Ortiz is literally the ONLY athlete to ever put up these kinds of numbers at his age??

Lets get real, people.
    per usual, opie1988 has a MAJOR fukkin' clue. Pitching is arguably the best it has ever been, yet Ortiz is having a Triple Crown type season and he's 40 years old and about to retire...totally not fishy! It's amazing how much people look the other way for a "good guy" yet chastise and crucify "villains."

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Bonds and Clemens are 100% HoF players. McGwire should get in. Sosa and Palmeiro don't belong based on production and the fact that neither were best in their position at any time in their career.

Ortiz is a HoF. Main piece of 3 WS titles and produced in the clutch along with his monster numbers. The fact that he played DH shouldn't matter. It is a position in the game. He has been awesome for over a decade.
    I just don't see how the same Hall of Fame voters who are keeping out Bonds/Clemens/McGwire solely due to suspected PED use will elect PED-user Ortiz to the hall.

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22668

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Roid user with head the size of a watermelon

Cool guy though and clutch
    Balco Barry's twin

TheMartian
    TheMartian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3241

He must be getting some top end PED stuff not that shady Miami strip mall garbage Braun and A Rod were doing. Dude was average when he was in Minny and couldn't ever stay healthy then he goes to Boston and boom instantly he's Babe Ruth

At least Barry Bonds was good before he got to the Juicing after McGuire and Sosa went on their Roid Rage Rampage in MLB

Ortiz is clearly on some shit

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post

Lets get real, people.
    Opie, excuse me. You're closing in on AARP status and I witnessed you throw down a tomahawk jam while taking off from the free-throw line.

Are you now suggesting your heroic performance wasn't done without the help of some medical aid?

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Opie, excuse me. You're closing in on AARP status and I witnessed you throw down a tomahawk jam while taking off from the free-throw line.

Are you now suggesting your heroic performance wasn't done without the help of some medical aid?
    I see your point, bruh. While it is true I threw that rock down like a motherfukker on a full regulation rim...the big difference here is that I can't do that type of extremely athletic move day after day now. I had to ice my knees for an hour that night due to the sheer force of jumping from the free throw line to a height of well over the 10' minimum for a regulation goal.

1000% TRUE STORY.
    Points Awarded:

The Giant gave opie1988 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The Giant

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

GTFO. 609 HR's isn't enough production? 9 straight 100+RBI seasons. If you just go by pure numbers, of course Sosa is in. How is he not best at position when he won MVP and finished top 9 MVP in 6 straight seasons. '98 to '02 he was the best OF in the NL. He averaged 58 HR and 145 RBI during that stretch. Nobody else did that. Not Bonds or McGwire either. Of course it was all juiced up, but just base don production alone, come on.

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22668

Needle in the ass has some stats exaggerated!

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    GTFO. 609 HR's isn't enough production? 9 straight 100+RBI seasons. If you just go by pure numbers, of course Sosa is in. How is he not best at position when he won MVP and finished top 9 MVP in 6 straight seasons. '98 to '02 he was the best OF in the NL. He averaged 58 HR and 145 RBI during that stretch. Nobody else did that. Not Bonds or McGwire either. Of course it was all juiced up, but just base don production alone, come on.
    Sosa was a very good player on very bad teams in a big market.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Well if I were the commish, sorry if you ever got caught using at anytime in your career no way you'd ever get in the HOF, in fact I would make it a mandatory lifetime ban from baseball.

Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5636

So the only reason people do well in anything is juice?
    Maybe even gamblers who make money off the books are on juice!

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

Sosa was a very good player on very bad teams in a big market.
    Actually he wasn't on all very bad teams. In his heyday between '98 and '04 they made the playoffs twice and won 88+ games in 4/7 seasons. Not even going to talk about '03, but that was a great team and Sosa was a big part of it.

Regardless, that's not all that relevant to HOF discussion. Plenty of good players on bad teams made HOF. Andre Dawson made it and doesn't have anything close to Sosa's numbers. Ernie Banks played 20 seasons and never once made the playoffs - nobody thinks he doesn't belong in HOF.

I'm not saying Sosa should be in. He cheated and he's tainted. But if he did what he did without the juice, based on his numbers he'd be in easily, hands down. Palmeiro too.

First 12