24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 58.33%
  • No

10 41.67%
    rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2111

Is Gregg Popovich now the greatest NBA coach.... ever?

This is very important.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

No the UConn women coach is BY FAR

NO BRAINER

What he is doing is not human in this day and age

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

No Phil Jackson without question

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Phil Jackson

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    No the UConn women coach is BY FAR

NO BRAINER

What he is doing is not human in this day and age
    Uconn coach is the greatest NBA coach of all time?

vladfan
    vladfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13224

Red Auerbach was the greatest.

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Luke Walton

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Pop better than Jackson imo

Jackson had 2 of the top 5 greatest players in NBA history -- guys that would flat out dominate and win rings no matter what teams/coaches they played for. And another top 15 player in Shaq, and top 25 player in Pippen. There's a 0 percent chance Tim Duncan would have 5 rings without Greg Popovich. The Spurs always have amazing teams and always do so well in the draft, and pop has a lot to do with that. Phill Jackson never drafted anyone on his championships teams. Lakers and Bulls got a lot of guys in free agency too that contributed big time.

Popovich would have never lost an NBA finals to the Detroit Pistons if he had a starting lineup of Payton, Bryant, Shaq and Malone. Never. Spurs beat the same exact pistons team 1 year later in 7 games -- pistons were arguably better that year imo -- and the Spurs roster was no where near that Lakers roster. Bryant and Shaq were 2 of the top 5 players in the NBA at that time and also during the 3 peat. Tell me when Greg Popovich has ever had 2 of the top 5 players in the league on 1 team? Never.

Jackson, who is known for managing egos, couldn't even bring that Lakers team together to beat an inferior pistons team. Popovich would never allow that to happen. You see Pop yelling at Tim Duncan and Parker even to this day if they do something wrong. I never saw Jackson yelling at Jordan or getting in his face.

I still think Jackson is an amazing coach, but his rings are pretty much from having 2 of the best 5 players in history in his career.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Stevens

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Sam Mitchell.

cwnotorious
    cwnotorious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10757

Popp has to be in the argument for goat with Jackson and Red

rpesi9955
    rpesi9955's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1441

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck13 View Post
    No Phil Jackson without question
    Agreed

jjgold

Phil Jackson had Jordan so it does not count

Maybe Pop

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7683

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Phil Jackson had Jordan so it does not count

Maybe Pop
    Lol okay guy. How many coaches won with jordan besides phil?

jjgold

None of these coaches are actually great

Never heard of a coach that was great without coaching hall of famers

lol...players make coaches men

GSW proving it daily

If Jordan does not play with Bulls Phil a nobody

If Curry not on GSW they win 45 games

pilebuck13

Give Sloan Jordan how many rings the Jazz get?

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Got a kick out Red Auerbach's shot at Phil back in the day. Something to effect of "that Zen crap works a whole lot better when you have Jordan, Pippen, Shaq , Kobe" lol. Pretty much sums up most coaches it's more about the players you have honestly. In this day age where it's no longer for love of the gm and all business ,$$, marketing it's quite impressive having a big run and keeping all those egos in check somewhat, staying hungry, and buying in.

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Phil Jackson answers are making my stomach hurt in laughter.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Jackson did win a CBA title though

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Got a kick out Red Auerbach's shot at Phil back in the day. Something to effect of "that Zen crap works a whole lot better when you have Jordan, Pippen, Shaq , Kobe" lol. Pretty much sums up most coaches it's more about the players you have honestly. In this day age where it's no longer for love of the gm and all business ,$$, marketing it's quite impressive having a big run and keeping all those egos in check somewhat, staying hungry, and buying in.
    Auerbach had nobody right?

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck13 View Post
    Give Sloan Jordan how many rings the Jazz get?

Sloan had 2 of the greatest players ever in stockton and Malone. I bet you if phil was jazz coach he would have beaten the bulls.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Both great but to me Phil gets the edge over Pop. His Laker teams beat Pop's Spur teams head to head in playoffs more than the other way around.

jjgold

Both had best talent ever

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Both great but to me Phil gets the edge over Pop. His Laker teams beat Pop's Spur teams head to head in playoffs more than the other way around.
    yeah because they had better players. he had 2 of the top 3 players in the world on one team. meanwhile spurs had one top 10 player.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Never said that LB learn how to comprehend what you read. I said it pretty much sums up all coaches!!! Sure it was coming from a bitter old dying man who hated Phil but still funny. In Reds day the Celts and Lakers had all the best talent and why they won no doubt. Nothing different in today's gm just ALOT more teams. Start of every season though it's same story only a few outta the 30+ have a real shot.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Few years back I counted up all the nba title winners going back to what I consider "modern era" when Magic/Larry came in. It was something ridiculous like 5 teams had won 27 outta 31 titles or close to that. Not much parody in the association and never really has been.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Few years back I counted up all the nba title winners going back to what I consider "modern era" when Magic/Larry came in. It was something ridiculous like 5 teams had won 27 outta 31 titles or close to that. Not much parody in the association and never really has been.
    Well in the end its really players that win championships and when you get a once in a generation player, and combine him with another once in a generation player ala Jordan Pippen, Shaq Kobe, Magic Wilt, Lebron Wade.....it's gonna be tough to deny those teams rings. That's why I think Pop is the best. He has done more with less than anyone. Yeah he's had great teams but he hasn't had any top 3 player in the nba at any point in his career. Duncan was top 5 at best in his prime. Leonard will be a top 5 player soon. But these guys were never the best players in the nba. Lebron and Wade were 2 of the top 3 players in the entire nba when they joined up.

Closest thing to that today is Durant and Westbrook but they just can't figure it out. No reason why OKC shouldn't be the best team in the NBA. that's 2 of the top 5 players in the nba on one team. No other team in the nba can make that claim, and anytime that's ever happened in nba history, those teams have won rings.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Well in the end its really players that win championships and when you get a once in a generation player, and combine him with another once in a generation player ala Jordan Pippen, Shaq Kobe, Magic Wilt, Lebron Wade.....it's gonna be tough to deny those teams rings. That's why I think Pop is the best. He has done more with less than anyone. Yeah he's had great teams but he hasn't had any top 3 player in the nba at any point in his career. Duncan was top 5 at best in his prime. Leonard will be a top 5 player soon. But these guys were never the best players in the nba. Lebron and Wade were 2 of the top 3 players in the entire nba when they joined up.

Closest thing to that today is Durant and Westbrook but they just can't figure it out. No reason why OKC shouldn't be the best team in the NBA. that's 2 of the top 5 players in the nba on one team. No other team in the nba can make that claim, and anytime that's ever happened in nba history, those teams have won rings.
    Utah had 2 of top 5 in Stockton and Malone and won ZERO championships.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Not saying coaching not a factor either just not much as some might think. Prime example whats going on right now.

Last year 2 coaches right off the bus and no experience go to the finals. Both had primo elite stars the nba pushing hard and solid casts. What was it 7 months after appearing in a final with a broken down team Blatt is gone , and Walton with no experience fills in over a stretch for Kerr and they don't miss a best. I have zero doubt Lue and Walton could meet in finals just as easy if it had to be. What's that say for coaching vs importance of face of association elite player.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Phil JJ Jackson

Goat Milk

Stockton was never a top 5 player. Top 10 at best. At best. I would say more like top 12. You think stockton was better than Jordan? Barkley? Malone? Drexler? Olajuwan? Pippen? Robinson? Ewing? Shawn Kemp? Chris Webber? Shaq? Isiah Thomas? Albeit Isiah retired pretty early, but still was way better than stockton in his last year and stockton's 5th or 6th year. Then you got KG, Bryant, Pierce, AI coming to the forefront in the late 90s and early 2000s, who were all way better than stockton as overall players. Guys like Stockton, Kidd, Steve Nash were never top 5 players at any point in their careers. Nash 2 mvps are a joke. Don't care how many years he led league in assists. Top 5 players are ppl that can flat out take over a game on BOTH ENDS of the floor and dominate, straight dominate style in crunch time. I don't even think Karl Malone was a top 5 player, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Stockton and Malone are basically just Nash and Stoudemire but played more years together. Both Nash and Stoudemire were 1st team all nba a few years. Stoudemire was an amazing player in his prime, but never someone I considered with the same impact as a premier player like a Bryant or Hakeem or Jordan.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Isn't he the longest standing coach? I was in high school when he started coaching the Spurs.

zlaroc
    zlaroc's Avatar Become A Pro!

Luke walton !!!

jjgold

Gritter you do not know the game like me

Lets go to lunch at Capos and discuss the NBA

pilebuck13

Quote Originally Posted by Jaug View Post
    Phil JJ Jackson
    Lmao got a nice ring to it

12 Last