MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

All four CFP teams are there because of an improbable turn of events

For those who don't want to read the whole thing.

MichSt beats Michigan on crazy punting fumble on last play. If they lose that game, Ohio state goes to Big10 final, likely beats Iowa and goes to playoff.

Oklahoma wins on inexplicably bad decision making on the part of TCU. If they don't stop TCU, they likely win the big12 and Oklahoma doesn't crack top 4

Alabama benefitted from the crazy ending to Ole Miss vs Arkansas in which Arkansas converted on 4th and 25 with the backwards hail mary. If Ole Miss wins, they win SEC west, likely beat Florida in SEC title game and likely go to playoff.

ND misses two point conversion with 7 seconds remaining and Clemson wins (though they could have won in overtime anyways). Were ND to make it and win in overtime, Clemson may very well have fallen out of CFP contention as their schedule was not as tough as many other teams in the CFP but who knows.

Full article worth a read. I am not taking credit for any of this info or commentary. Merely paraphrasing.
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...michigan-state
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The Kraken

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

Good stuff MoMo. I don't necessarily agree with the OU bit, that happens more than people think. All part of the gamble.

No real confidence behind any one team this year. Should make for an exciting playoff.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

You have to be lucky somewhat to win big time

I think the best teams are there except Ohio State

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

Check the pulse on that guy calling the Ole Miss/Arkansas play. Don't forget Oregon had a wide open man for the win against MSU and their QB with a broken finger couldn't make the throw. It's fun to think about all of the what-ifs... but you've always had to catch some breaks to get to the big game(s).

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17040

i think for oklahoma you could say the only 3 hard teams they played all had their backup qb instead of a missed 2 point conversion.

eeezzzz
    eeezzzz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7391

nice post

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

You can say that about every team that has made, and that will make the playoffs. You have to be very good and you have to be lucky.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Good post Mo'er'est

I had forgotten about that lateral

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

Stopping a team on a two-point conversion is actually PROBABLE, and of course it wasn't necessary for Clemson to stop Notre Dame's two-pointer to win the game. Of course, the Arkansas fourth-down conversion and the Michigan State ending were extraordinarily improbable.

Memento
    Short Term Memory Loss Required
    Memento's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

yeah, nothing improbable about Clemson.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

OU didn't lucky out because they stopped a two point conversion. If anything they were unlucky in that game because they were up like 30-7 and then they lost their QB and both RBs to injury.

OU got lucky because they played Baylor, TCU, and OSU with backup QBs.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Very interesting..

Clemson argument is very weak... Tcu argument is weak...

I also wonder if mid-season game was different if a team like ole miss wud have felt more pressure later