The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Let's talk about the end of this Michigan State/Iowa game...

Iowa leading 13-9, Michigan State on the 2 yard line, about 1:45 left, and the Hawkeyes out of timeouts.

Should they have just let them score on first down, and saved themselves about 80 seconds?

Hindsight says they should have let them score.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. It's just a philosophy in coaching. Just like when a team is down by 3 points, in basketball, do you foul at the end of the game. Each coach is different.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

I though they should have let them score so they at least have a minute and change on the clock. Easy to do in my supple leather chair.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7903

hindsight 20/20

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I though they should have let them score so they at least have a minute and change on the clock. Easy to do in my supple leather chair.
    You really do live the good life, Jake.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

i was thinking the exact same thing. Especially once they converted that 4th down. Would have given them the ball with ~1:40 left needing a field goal to tie or a td to win.

Seems like the obvious decision in hindsight.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

Their defense was pretty stout tonight I think you have to trust them to get the stop.

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Iowa leading 13-9, Michigan State on the 2 yard line, about 1:45 left, and the Hawkeyes out of timeouts.

Should they have just let them score on first down, and saved themselves about 80 seconds?

Hindsight says they should have let them score.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. It's just a philosophy in coaching. Just like when a team is down by 3 points, in basketball, do you foul at the end of the game. Each coach is different.
    it depends. In this case, I would because michigan state is really physical and chances are they would score from a couple yards out. Let them score, drive for a field goal and tie the game.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You really do live the good life, Jake.

Yes sir...paying 700/sq ft is quite the life

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8819

Take my chances with the defense there.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Iowa could ONLY assure themselves of a possible tie if they let them score. Didn't guaranteed anything. Would have lost the game regardless. Like choosing death by 1000 cuts or an ISIS vest. Both will lead to death

The Giant

It's really a tough call.

The question is are you most likely to hold an opponent out of the endzone from the 2 yard line, over four downs. Or is it easier to score a field goal with 1:40 left, and no timeouts.

There is no obvious choice.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2258

Doesn't matter if they had let them score there's zero chance the refs wouldn't of taken over the game and made sure Iowa didn't drive down the field. Iowa doesn't equate to ratings and the college playoff is the biggest ratings whoring there is so Iowa had no chance from the beginning but they made it look good for tv

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19224

You gotta let the kids try and stop them.

Iowa almost stopped them.
    It was close.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9858

I don't think it's really a question. State needed 7. It's not like they could settle for fg. You ask your defense to make that stop. Never know if there will be a holding or a bad snap or negative play. If Iowa is down by 1 or up by 2 (such that a fg is an option) maybe that argument makes sense but a 4 point lead means they have to try and make that stop.

Plus Iowa had 1td all game and it was a 85 yd play. To me, you have to ask defense to stop there. No way you can ask them to roll over in that situation.

Bbr
    Bbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

tough call, right call & neither here nor there in hindsight

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3374

Iowa season is build on defense. The coach let it all on the line with the a goal line stand. Thst was the only way they were losing.

ki dice
    ki dice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8548

I thought Iowa use of time outs was terrible,they should of used there time outs when it was 1st and goal.terrible handling of the timeouts,because then the play calling from mich st would of been different.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

They had to try to stop them, Iowa had run 49 plays for just 256 yard at that point with 85 coming on one play. Iowa had shown no ability to move the ball against M.ST at all.

The reason Iowa was in the game was because of their defense and asking them to lie down and and give the ball to a highly ineffective offense was the worse of two bad options.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Highway robbery.

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

I live in Iowa country and had this conversation with a couple Iowa fans last night. I think they did right. Their O didn't do anything outside of that 85 yard TD, and their D was the reason they were in the game. The chance of their D getting a stop there was better than the O getting a TD, or a FG then winning in OT imo. It did take Michigan St six plays from inside the 5 to finally get it, converting a 4th down and the TD each by about half a yard. It was a high scoring game I could see letting them score, I just don't think Iowa's O had it in them to get a score.

Multiple Iowa fans complaining that they didn't let them score btw.

CubsFan1908
    CubsFan1908's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

If you're winning by 2 or less you let them score. If not you play defense. They were an amazing finishing run away from being at 4th and goal

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Letting them score is the pussy move. You fight with nails and teeth to stop the touchdown. This is Sparta!