No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Someone please explain the Alabama/Auburn ending

Henry picks up a first down with his third-down carry, yet they decide it isn't a first down and call it 4th and 1 instead. Henry runs the next play in for a long TD and Alabama covers. I was watching the game at a bar and couldn't hear the analysis --

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Auburn didn't attempt to play defense. They let him walk in endzone. The idea is you get the ball back and try to score and maybe get an onside kick recovered else Alabama would have burned the clock.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

I like the idea of No Coin at a bar.
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave texhooper 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Auburn didn't attempt to play defense. They let him walk in endzone. The idea is you get the ball back and try to score and maybe get an onside kick recovered else Alabama would have burned the clock.
    I'm pretty sure you're 100% wrong here.

So let me get this straight. Auburn trys to stop them on first, second, and third down and then they let Bama score on 4th and 1???? I doubt they tried to let them score so they could get the ball back with 25 seconds left in the game. It sure didn't look like it. Why not let them score earlier if you're going to do that?

I had Auburn first half and full game. I ended up losing juice. I was really pissed off because if the WRs at Auburn could have caught easy balls on their last drive, Bama wouldn't have had the time to score.

I'm also pissed off because Henry had a first down but the refs called it 4th and 1. Then he runs it in to cover.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

You are completely wrong, and completely missed the point of my post.

Henry had a first down with his third-down run. Refs give it to him, Bama takes a knee and game over. Instead, they give him a horrific spot, no one seems to mind or challenge it, and he runs in the 4th down play for a score.

kyhawk
    kyhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7806

Who gives a F! My local HS guy is going to win the Heisman and just wanted some extra pub. Let's go Yulee FL!!!!!!!!!!

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Henry was a good yard short on the 3rd down carry, he didn't make the first down. The bad spot was on the prior series. As posted, if the idiotic WR on Auburn doesn't have 2 drops right in his hands with nobody around him, Auburn easily covers unless they throw a Pick 6.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    You are completely wrong, and completely missed the point of my post.

Henry had a first down with his third-down run. Refs give it to him, Bama takes a knee and game over. Instead, they give him a horrific spot, no one seems to mind or challenge it, and he runs in the 4th down play for a score.
    The option for Auburn was to stop him on 4th down. Once they failed they didn't bother tackling and you are not going to have the Heisman winner take a knee with the end zone open on hated rival game in Auburn of all places. Remember Auburn fans poisoned Alabama trees a few years back.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Actually, the right play would have been for Henry to slide down once he got the first down. If he does, the game is over. Granted, odds of Auburn scoring, getting onside and scoring again in 25 second are minute, but going to a knee after getting first down leaves just about 0% chance of losing as oppose to 0.1% chance of losing by scoring.

My point is why leave ANY chance at all.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Agreed, thought Saban would be all over that. But as Danielsen said on TV, the play was to let them score at 2 minutes. If Auburn let them score, go down once you have the first ad take 3 knees.

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Actually, the right play would have been for Henry to slide down once he got the first down. If he does, the game is over. Granted, odds of Auburn scoring, getting onside and scoring again in 25 second are minute, but going to a knee after getting first down leaves just about 0% chance of losing as oppose to 0.1% chance of losing by scoring.

My point is why leave ANY chance at all.

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

The option for Auburn was to stop him on 4th down. Once they failed they didn't bother tackling and you are not going to have the Heisman winner take a knee with the end zone open on hated rival game in Auburn of all places. Remember Auburn fans poisoned Alabama trees a few years back.
    Idiot Alabama fan poisoned Auburn trees.---you got it backwards

Heyeverybody99
    Heyeverybody99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3245

What made it even funnier was right after Henry scored, he preceded to do the Manziel "money" sign with his hands. I think he knew what just happened.