ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11618

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    But, the religion thing doesn't make sense.
    Hate in his isolated heart and too much exposure to loser atheist preachers that sermonize online. This kid was such a self-obsessed loser from a dysfunctional home, just like any shooter.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    Hate in his isolated heart and too much exposure to loser atheist preachers that sermonize online. This kid was such a self-obsessed loser from a dysfunctional home, just like any shooter.
    Seems to have been a white supremacist/nazi type. Very typical.

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    None one iota. Nobody decides not to murder on the off chance that they might get the death penalty instead of life in prison.

It has no deterrent effect. It costs more than non-capital cases. It is applied in a ridiculously inconsistent manner. And innocent people have been, and will be, put to death.

I'm not against the death penalty in theory, but in current practice it is simply too broken and ought to be eliminated. If we could kill the worst of the worst in a uniform, consistent and efficient manner then I could could behind it.
    I agree. Classical theorist Cesare Beccaria believed that crime is rational and can be deterred, in the most simple form; thus if the punishment outweighed the benefit of crime it could be deterred. I agree somewhat here for the majority of petty criminals. He goes on to say that punishment must be swift, severe, certain. I totally agree here, but it's not the case even for the rational criminal.

Why?

Severe: Judicial discretion and sentencing guidelines

Certain: due process/plea bargain; it is not certain

Celerity: it takes months, if not years for a punishment to be handed down

I like Beccaria's thoughts and classical as well. Back in his day I would assume if the rational committed a crime, it would be eye for an eye (severity), it would be public (certain) and it would happen the next day (celerity).

For an example, in today's world let's say I get a DUI. Pending punishment, lose my DL for a year up to 30 days in jail (severity). Two years later with extensions and appeals (celerity) my time in court finally happens and with a plea bargin I get one year restricted license and 2 days in jail (certain), yet I may have almost killed someone driving drunk.

So yes deterrence is a joke. Not just the death penalty but as a whole. When the punishment is finally handed down and the public does not remember the crime...we have a problem. And if they do remember the crime and it's not severe enough we have a problem. i

But if we have mass-murder suicide, that's irrational right? So take the above and shove it someone's ass!

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19225

Guns aren't the only weapon of destruction. If there were no guns - nut cases would build bombs - lasers - tasers - create fires - go back to catapaults and cross bows - create landslides with big boulders. Or just crash into people with cars - trucks - tractor trailers - or trains - capsize ships.

Mankind has an insane desire to kill their fellow man! Man has been fycked in the head for it's entire existence and still has not become civilized. What deterrent could we possibly invent that would preclude deranged people from killing themselves and taking as many innocent human beings with them as they possibly can?

People commit suicide and take their wife and children with them! What can we possibly do to punish the dead?

How can you punish people in a civilized manner who perpetrate an uncivilized crime?

So - what - if the penal system inhumanely tortured the next 100 convicted capital crime criminals instead of just a painless injection and then interview them and ask - would you do it all again if you knew you would be tortured?

Society would have to give up some of their personal freedoms and rights to stop or neutralize terrorism.
    Last edited by BuckyOne; 10-02-15 at 09:50 PM.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

The number one threat to the American people is the American people

Forget terrorism, we're doing it to ourselves.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

it just seems gun murders are way up

a few today in Vegas and family disputes;;;kills killed

horrible

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

#killskilled

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8393

[IMG]https://*********************************/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12019770_10153710931314614_4700810118782 360928_n.jpg?oh=d13db166252186fd207bbe44 08408ee2&oe=569E8468[/IMG]
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: recon1, and Auto Donk

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    [IMG]https://*********************************/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12019770_10153710931314614_4700810118782 360928_n.jpg?oh=d13db166252186fd207bbe44 08408ee2&oe=569E8468[/IMG]
    Well if Secret Service followed everyone around I suppose it would be a different story.

I'd feel safe with secret service packing all around me too. Not so much with every doofus and d-bag around me packing heat.

Republicans are nothing if not masters of absurd analogies.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Optional

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    it just seems gun murders are way up

a few today in Vegas and family disputes;;;kills killed

horrible
    That's why it's better to go by numbers than feelings. Because it's just the opposite. Gun murders and violence have actually steadily decreased over the past 20 years and are at historic lows. We just hear more about everything because of all the media, social media, etc.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    How do you know it was a white person? (not saying it wasn't, I would bet a lot of money that it is)
    read article where t says his mother is black

chico2663

[QUOTE=Grits n' Gravy;24579697]Any chance of stricter gun laws went out the window many years ago. If politicians and the courts had the balls to turn down gun advocate/manufacturer campaign contributions they would go after the businesses that sell guns to people who commit felonies with those weapons. It might make a small impact on vendors who operate in grey areas. The death penalty needs to become automatic for those convicted of these kinds of crimes as well.

The majority of gun owners in USA have them just to be cool and compensate for the fact that they couldn't beat another man in a fair fight.

I have to laugh at paco trying to flex with his pistols. Guy valet parks cars for a living in Detroit. Is he worried about someone stealing his $27 in tips after a hard
    I worked in cincinnati as a debit agent. I worked in neighborhoods where it wasn't safe for black people to be in and this is black neighborhoods. I could go there because I knew alot of these kids when they were born. i paid claims on their grandparents. I walked in houses that had mounds and mounds of crack but these kids knew I would keep my mouth shut. I have 7 kids that made the first 48 as being killed.When the riots happened I was caught in the middle of it. 2 kids that had pitbulls (who happened to be from cleveland) decided to penetrate with me and i told them i could shoot both dogs and them before they could get to me. One of the kids that was a big dope boy walked over and told these to kids that if they wanted to make it out of the nati alive they wouldn't even look at me again. Another told them I wasn't white and that I just took care of his family on fire claim to back the penetrate off. As i always tell people; anyone that doesn't believe in guns has never needed one.

chico2663

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    This is a culture problem. It amazes me how the human species can make great strides in intelligence when it comes to fields like technology or medicine, but they can't see socially what has worked in the past. We have members of the animal kingdom that have done the same things in their circles since time began because it worked. Then you have the human species that has totally changed. Used to be that you would court your partner, marry them, mate with them, and then raise children together. Now we have a large segment that finds a person, mates with them, impregnates them, and then leaves the one parent to raise the child on their own. Then this one parent can be so self indulged that many of these kids are left to figure things out on their own. This puts the kid on the path of exploring a sense of self worth.

These kids figuring things out on their own becomes dangerous when mixed with technology. We've seen it on this message board where you have people that log on here, and can try to be whoever or whatever the want to be with little risk of physical confrontation. This just stokes the fire of kids searching for their own personal fame to satisfy that self worth. Yeah, you can throw mental health into the picture, but I truly believe that the parenting issue can be directly related to that also.

There is a reason why the University of Texas, and Kent State shootings were such big deals in the news. We had not seen things like that happen too often in that time. Guns had been around for decades before these events, so that didn't change. Behavior changed when our country got complacent after WWII. Those great people that fought their war were so inspired to give their kids everything they wanted and needed that they spoiled the hell out of them. This led to more and more women working, after they got a taste of it during the war, that we started getting generations of kids starting to come to a empty house after school, instead of a parent's loving hug. With cars, TV's, and suburbia starting to become more and more viable, self worth went from family and friends to material items. Its just spiraled generation from generation from there.

The toothpaste is out of the tube now, and it would take generations for it to even have a chance to come full circle. People can blame guns all they want to. They won't get offended. Maybe that's why its easier to blame them, then to blame humanity in this politically correct, easily offended, dying for attention society that we have made ourselves.
    i will tell you exactly when it changed. WHEN REAGAN SAID THE GOVT. WASN'T IN THE MENTAL HEALTH CARE BUSINESS! Used to be when i grew up you could lock these knuckleheads up. Now you can't. Also there wasn't no a.d.d. when I was a kid. There was a paddle with holes in it. Now teachers are to lazy to teach so they want to medicate. WHy do u think heroin is on the rise. because we teach kids it is alright to medicate.

chico2663

funny thing is last 3 shooters were devout faux news watcher.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    funny thing is last 3 shooters were devout faux news watcher.
    hilarious

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Quote Originally Posted by zizoudane10 View Post
    Don't get me wrong: I am all for gun control in my country. While I love (and do have) guns, I don't trust 90% of the other idiots with one.
    But honestly: there are so many guns in the US right now, that you basically have zero chance to get them all now.
    I agree; this is probably the biggest issue that won't allow a sudden ban on guns to be owned. I think maybe at a state level and not federal could be a start, and see just how it works in a USA society. Would have to be a smaller state, maybe like Idaho.

DwightShrute

REAL IMAGE (left) – CNN IMAGE (right)

jjgold

ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) -- The gunman had already shot several students at close range when he stood inches from Lacey Scroggins and demanded she stand up.
    It was only the fourth day of community college for the 18-year-old aspiring surgeon. She was face down, her head tucked between her outstretched arms, among dead and dying classmates.
    Scroggins could hear someone gurgling. She felt the weight of mortally wounded Treven Anspach against her, the 20-year-old's blood flowing onto her clothing.
    She prayed and played dead, frozen to the floor. The killer stepped over her and shot someone else.
    In a rampage lasting about 10 minutes, Christopher Harper-Mercer took nine lives Thursday morning in chilling fashion before killing himself as officers closed in, placing the small town of Roseburg among settings that have become infamous for inexplicable violence.
    In addition to slain English professor Lawrence Levine, the dead and nine wounded were students young and old - some high school aged, others just beginning college and some starting over after a broken marriage, drug abuse or in hopes of a new career.
    The rural Umpqua Community College on nearly 100 acres of pastureland along the North Umpqua River has about 3,200 students in this southwestern Oregon community, where the struggling timber industry is no longer seen as a path to the future. Its website said it offered "a peaceful, safe atmosphere."
    The school term had just begun and Levine's 10 a.m. introductory composition class was underway when Mercer-Harper arrived on campus not with books, but with a small arsenal of weapons that included five handguns, a semi-automatic rifle, five magazines of ammunition and a flak jacket.
    The young man was described as an awkward loner who had flunked out of Army basic training and lived with his mother. His social media profile suggested he was frustrated with organized religion and had studied mass shootings.
    Those who knew him said they never expected what would happen next.
    Scroggins heard a pop and noticed a hole in a classroom window, according to a detailed account provided by her father, Pastor Randy Scroggins.
    Harper-Mercer, 26, who was enrolled in the class but had showed no signs of anger two days before, entered, fired several rounds from a handgun and told everyone to get on the floor.
    Natalie Robbins was in another writing class nearby in Snyder Hall when she heard the first muffled gunshot that sounded more like a table had been overturned.
    "We heard this first BOOM," Robbins said. "About 45 seconds later we hear boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. Six shots. In the middle of that is when my instructor said, 'We have to get the hell out of here.'"
    She and other classmates bolted out of the room toward the campus center.
    The first 911 call was made at 10:38 a.m., but those on campus were not immediately alerted.
    Biology professor Ken Carloni was sitting in his office in the science building next door when a colleague entered with a startled groundskeeper who said there was a shooting.
    They locked the building, gathered about 40 students from the surrounding classrooms and huddled with them in a small hallway with no outside-facing windows.
    Back in Snyder Hall, Lacey Scroggins didn't see her teacher fall, but Anastasia Boylan did.
    The first-year student told her family from the hospital that Levine was shot at point-blank range.
    "She was crying and saying, 'Grandma, he killed my teacher! He killed my teacher! I saw it!" Janet Willis said, in recounting her granddaughter's story.
    In the chaos that followed, Boylan found herself on the classroom floor, bleeding next to a friend who had also been shot.
    Harper-Mercer began singling them out for slaughter, telling them to stand and state their religion.
    Both Boylan and Scroggins said the gunman shot Christians in the head and wounded others, though there was at least one account that said he treated all religions with the same cold response.
    "She hears the shooter in front say, 'You, in that orange shirt, stand up!'" Randy Scoggins said. "'What religion are you? Are you a Christian?' He says 'Yes.' She hears another pop, and she hears a thud as he drops to the ground."
    Rand McGowan, who was shot in the hand, told his mother it didn't seem the shooter was deliberately targeting Christians.
    "It was more so saying, 'You're going to be meeting your maker,' " Stephanie Salas said.
    Boylan, 18, was in terrible pain when Harper-Mercer told her to stand. She had been shot through the spine and a bullet was lodged in her back.
    "Hey blonde girl," he said, according to her grandmother. "Get up! I want to talk to you!"
    Like Scroggins, she played dead and Mercer left her there.
    He showed little mercy to others.
    At one point, Chris Mintz, an Army veteran and student who helped evacuate his classroom nearby, sounded a fire alarm in another building and ran back to help. He was shot as he came through the classroom door.
    Mintz asked the gunman to stop, saying it was his son's birthday. The gunman opened fire again, shooting Mintz but somehow missing vital organs. Mintz lived.
    The gunman told a woman to beg for her life, Randy Scroggins said. She did and he shot her anyway.
    One woman tried to show sympathy for the shooter, saying she was sorry for whatever happened to him.
    "He said, 'I bet you are, but it's not enough.' And with that, he shot her," Randy Scroggins said as he began to cry.
    Harper-Mercer herded people to the center of the room and shot them as they were lying down.
    Perhaps in a reference to the afterlife, he announced: "Don't anybody worry. We will all be together in just a moment," Scroggins said.
    McGowan, 18, managed to stay alive by staying as still as possible and avoiding eye contact with the shooter, his mother recounted.
    Then his phone began to vibrate in his pocket. His older brother was calling.
    "Rand was like, 'Oh my goodness,' and said 'Thank you Lord! My phone was on vibrate,'" his mother, Salas, said. "If it had rang, he would have been picked out."
    Harper-Mercer singled out a "lucky one" that he wouldn't kill and directed him to stand in the corner of the classroom to deliver something to law enforcement, according to Bonnie Schaan, the mother of Cheyeanne Fitzgerald, 16, who was seriously wounded and had a kidney removed.
    Police said he left behind a manifesto. That may offer some insight into what propelled him, but at this point they have not released details of what it said.
    Roseburg police officers arrived within six minutes of the first call for help. Two minutes later, they were in a shootout with Harper-Mercer.
    Lacey Scroggins said she heard a burst of gunfire and then the shooter said one last thing.
    "You got me. I've had enough. I quit," her father recounted.
    And then it was silent.
    Lacey Scroggins had thought it was her day to die, she told her father. But she was not hurt.
    She got up and began tending the wounded, fashioning her scarf as a tourniquet on the limb of a bleeding woman.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Well if Secret Service followed everyone around I suppose it would be a different story.

I'd feel safe with secret service packing all around me too. Not so much with every doofus and d-bag around me packing heat.

Republicans are nothing if not masters of absurd analogies.
    You feel safer with people who are employed to protect criminals have arms, but not the people? Yeah, OK

DwightShrute

lotterypick87
    lotterypick87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

Never realized how dumb the general population was until this gun control stuff started popping up. We really do deserve to be destroyed. lol

lotterypick87
    lotterypick87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

"A person that doesn't use his intelligence is no better than an animal that doesn't have any intelligence and thus are steaks on the table by choice and consent." This is appropriate for everyone that thinks gun control is a good idea.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by lotterypick87 View Post
    "A person that doesn't use his intelligence is no better than an animal that doesn't have any intelligence and thus are steaks on the table by choice and consent." This is appropriate for everyone that thinks gun control is a good idea.
    Should we start allowing people with mental illness, addictions, felons etc to all have equal access to firearms?

There already exists some forms of "gun control".

Is the intelligent choice to no longer restrict access to those folks?

DwightShrute

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post

REAL IMAGE (left) – CNN IMAGE (right)
    I keep seeing this, saying CNN showed the picture on the right, but I can't find any links to them showing it, or any video of them showing it.

Were you able to find a video of them showing the picture on the right?

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    I keep seeing this, saying CNN showed the picture on the right, but I can't find any links to them showing it, or any video of them showing it.

Were you able to find a video of them showing the picture on the right?
    no video.

many say its false and many say its true. who knows.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1902

Democrats on the presidential debate going hard on gun control and the NRA.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

I'm placing the blame of these mass shootings on the Republicans who have cut mental health programs to the bone
    or not at all. Insurance companies have cut mental health related benefits to the bone also. Drug companies and their
    new antidepressant drugs are creating more crazies than helping.

Parents and or spouses need to recognize mental health issues and for god's sake, don't teach kids how to shoot guns
    if they are on mental drugs!!!! If their spouse is on mental drugs, get those firearms out of the house! It's fukking
    common sense!

Kids on antidepressants before, during and after puberty should be a big no no! Emotions during that time is rampant.
    Putting them on drugs will only increase those emotions.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    I'm placing the blame of these mass shootings on the Republicans who have cut mental health programs to the bone
    or not at all. Insurance companies have cut mental health related benefits to the bone also. Drug companies and their
    new antidepressant drugs are creating more crazies than helping.

Parents and or spouses need to recognize mental health issues and for god's sake, don't teach kids how to shoot guns
    if they are on mental drugs!!!! If their spouse is on mental drugs, get those firearms out of the house! It's fukking
    common sense!

Kids on antidepressants before, during and after puberty should be a big no no! Emotions during that time is rampant.
    Putting them on drugs will only increase those emotions.
    Not a bad post but guns are too prevalent and too easy to buy now

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

I prefer a machete anyway....... that A&M receiver was on to something........... much more fun to hack someone up alive than to hit them from a distance with a measly bullet.....

JJ, i need you to purchase a machete for me from a local pawn store there in vegas, in a classic "straw man purchase" that Hillary is trying to outlaw.... I don't want the clark county sherriff's dept to be able to trace the machete back to me, as I plan to throw it into the fountain at Bellagio after I complete my tourist killing rampage over at Bally's.........

jjgold

An issue many of you are not seeing is that at least 40% of people have no business having children because of various issues and their kids turn out to be losers like the parents

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: existential

jjgold

How right am I… It's why I'm the most respected poster here because I'm very very accurate on almost every issue

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15111

More guns is the solution. Maybe give them away free.

Lets try to triple the amount of guns circulated.

Gun control is stupid. More guns i say!

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

I think everyone should just turn in their guns so that way nobody gets killed by them...the government agencies have plenty and they will protect us, they have special training and most citizens do not so it makes more sense for them to have guns.

First ... 234567 Last