teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by gs View Post
    Who is the best black college coach in football now?
    Sure or coach Sumlin at AM

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    and?
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Fuk you
    After I asked about sumlin and he didn't respond I knew he was trolling .... So I just ignored that the 2nd go round. Im not feeding the trolls. (Notice post #10 and #14)

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Strong's the real deal and I knew he wouldn't be at Louisville long unless he wanted to be. Will only improve as a coach and he already has the players' respect anywhere he goes. His relates very well to his players but has authority, like Mike Tomlin. He could probably get a D coordinator job in the NFL if he wanted to give up his $5 million a year job. And Mike Tomlin is a good as any coach in the game, any color.

Strong's a born winner, locked up a top 10 recruiting class, is tough and smart. Texas let poor Mack Brown wallow like a senile clown for 3-4 years too long, but made a good hire here, regardless of results.

Renegades
    Renegades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22206

Not sure if Strong is the problem. I know this though, Swoopes is one of the worst qb's I've watched. The guy is horrendous and I dont understand how a program like Texas can go yrs without having a marquee qb.

MeatWad

Quote Originally Posted by Renegades View Post
    Not sure if Strong is the problem. I know this though, Swoopes is one of the worst qb's I've watched. The guy is horrendous and I dont understand how a program like Texas can go yrs without having a marquee qb.
    Give it time. You do realize Strong recruited Teddy Bridgewater, who could have basically picked any college when he came out of south Florida high school. Bridgewater switched schools from Miami to U of L to be with Strong. This guy is the real deal and someone the players, many from dysfunctional backgrounds, will respect and look to as a father figure and mentor. Players want to work hard and play hard for Strong, like Mike Tomlin.

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Renegades View Post
    Especially with how many out of state and of course in state schools have qbs From Texas....

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Race has no bearing on coaching...how many dumbfukk "white" coaches keep going through the revolving door that haven't proved shit??

MeatWad

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Especially with how many out of state and of course in state schools have qbs From Texas....
    Texas showed why it is one of the most intelligent state universities in the country when they signed this guy to that mega contract. Strong basically steals the best high school QB recruit in the country from his own hometown The University of Miami, a national powerhouse no less, to a cold and dark place like Louisville. Strong is the best thing that has happened to Longhorn football since the Tyler Rose brought the Heisman trophy to Austin.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

After I asked about sumlin and he didn't respond I knew he was trolling .... So I just ignored that the 2nd go round. Im not feeding the trolls. (Notice post #10 and #14)
    You're right, all he does is troll

MeatWad

Let anyone contest anything I am saying. I have a buzz saw for trolls, chew'em up and spit'em out with sharpness son! I am passionate about NCAAF and flexing what I know on trolls.

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by MeatWad View Post
    Texas showed why it is one of the most intelligent state universities in the country when they signed this guy to that mega contract. Strong basically steals the best high school QB recruit in the country from his own hometown The University of Miami, a national powerhouse no less, to a cold and dark place like Louisville. Strong is the best thing that has happened to Longhorn football since the Tyler Rose brought the Heisman trophy to Austin.
    That's cool and the gang but that's in the past at another school...trust me I wish the brotha well but I know they're going to run him out of town if he keeps this up 8 wins isn't going to cut it at Texas they ran Mack out and they loved him....every cfb show was shitting on Texas this morning you think the boosters and powers that be arent talking about a change at least whispers? Mel kiper said Texas could be the 5th best team in Texas could be true think about that. Hopefully they give him another year or two...but I doubt it. Past performance at Louisville might have helped him get the job but as of now they don't care about if he recruited Peyton manning or Jesus to Louisville ....They want him to win ASAP as in NOW

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 396

Texas was a complete and utter mess when he took over. It seemed like he suspended half the team last year because they broke team rules. The sense of entitlement from the players there was unreal. Brown had let so much stuff go, and the inmates were running the asylum. Strong has done well changing the attitude and culture. Now he just needs a little time to get and develop the horses. He started 6 freshmen and 4 sophomores against Notre Dame. 2 of those freshmen were on the offensive line. Get your money ready to bet on these guys during the 2nd half of the season.

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

Have they asked Sumlin? He probably wouldn't leave A&M for that mess ....I don't know about graham he's good your offense will be good you'll need somebody for a defense though his defenses at Tulsa sucked and and I never thought he had a special unit at arizona st ...not sure he's right for a job like Texas he feels like a arizona school type of guy not to high profile if he fails you have another 2-3 wasted years after the time strong has wasted. It's the Texas job you'll be a God if you turn that around because we all know Texas shouldn't be behind Baylor,Texas Am,tcu. Does strong survive the red river rivalry game if they get their doors blown off by the sooners? Which is a Strong possibility ...sorry couldn't help myself. Gruden? Lame Kiffan? Anybody?
    Yes, Sumlin's name was thrown around a bit for UT dating back to his days at the University of Houston. At that time, he was also being discussed as a potential replacement for the Houston Texans since he's close friends with their owner. Of course he eventually went to A&M and then his stock slipped after Manziel left. After it became clear that Saban wasn't leaving for Texas, he was definitely a part of the UT's wish list.

Briles, Patterson, Sumlin all on that 2nd list after Saban and Harbaugh weren't interested. It just became a scramble at that point. UT was also in the process of hiring a new AD and it was thought that Oliver Luck was going to get the job (then AD at WVU, Andrew Luck's dad), but they eventually went with Steve Patterson from ASU instead. Patterson is a UT alum and had extensive front office experience with professional sports in Texas prior.

As for Patterson, he's angered a lot of UT fans and donors by his perceived greediness and value of money above everything else. He's basically monetized things like the ticketing process, parking privileges, and stadium advertisements to the extreme.

Thing is, he was the one who was finally able to get Brown out the door. And then, when all the other top coaches weren't interested in coming to UT, he was able to lure Strong from Louisville which was a place Strong really loved. And then he was able to snag Shaka Smart for hoops.

Anyway, I don't see UT panicking about Strong for the next couple years. They've undergone too many transitions recently across the whole department and need to let things settle down a bit. That said, I could potentially see Strong becoming unhappy if he feels like he's getting too much undeserved pressure too soon.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Strong will probably get next year as well to turn this thing around but if they get embarrassed this season I wouldn't be surprised if they make a change

I think he's a great coach but he doesn't seem to fit a place like Texas for many reasons already mentioned

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Texas was a complete and utter mess when he took over. It seemed like he suspended half the team last year because they broke team rules. The sense of entitlement from the players there was unreal. Brown had let so much stuff go, and the inmates were running the asylum. Strong has done well changing the attitude and culture. Now he just needs a little time to get and develop the horses. He started 6 freshmen and 4 sophomores against Notre Dame. 2 of those freshmen were on the offensive line. Get your money ready to bet on these guys during the 2nd half of the season.
    You're so Texas when I worked oil there a few summers back in oddessa and ft Stockton the guys talk like you ...calling players horses inmates running the asylum I hope he turns it around cfb is better when Texas is good.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Pretty sure Charlie Strong isnt calling the plays.

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by existential View Post
    Yes, Sumlin's name was thrown around a bit for UT dating back to his days at the University of Houston. At that time, he was also being discussed as a potential replacement for the Houston Texans since he's close friends with their owner. Of course he eventually went to A&M and then his stock slipped after Manziel left. After it became clear that Saban wasn't leaving for Texas, he was definitely a part of the UT's wish list.

Briles, Patterson, Sumlin all on that 2nd list after Saban and Harbaugh weren't interested. It just became a scramble at that point. UT was also in the process of hiring a new AD and it was thought that Oliver Luck was going to get the job (then AD at WVU, Andrew Luck's dad), but they eventually went with Steve Patterson from ASU instead. Patterson is a UT alum and had extensive front office experience with professional sports in Texas prior.

As for Patterson, he's angered a lot of UT fans and donors by his perceived greediness and value of money above everything else. He's basically monetized things like the ticketing process, parking privileges, and stadium advertisements to the extreme.

Thing is, he was the one who was finally able to get Brown out the door. And then, when all the other top coaches weren't interested in coming to UT, he was able to lure Strong from Louisville which was a place Strong really loved. And then he was able to snag Shaka Smart for hoops.

Anyway, I don't see UT panicking about Strong for the next couple years. They've undergone too many transitions recently across the whole department and need to let things settle down a bit. That said, I could potentially see Strong becoming unhappy if he feels like he's getting too much undeserved pressure too soon.
    Ex shacka was a good hire no doubt did you like barnes? If only Garrett Gilbert had panned out he looked like he was going to ...he came in vs bama in that championship game when colt got knocked out and looked good made me think they would be solid with him maybe they lost some linemen? I can't really blame Mack for that one wasn't gilbert all world coming out of high school Mr football Gatorade/mcdonalds this and that dad was a NFL QB too right.

existential

Ex shacka was a good hire no doubt did you like barnes? If only Garrett Gilbert had panned out he looked like he was going to ...he came in vs bama in that championship game when colt got knocked out and looked good made me think they would be solid with him maybe they lost some linemen? I can't really blame Mack for that one wasn't gilbert all world coming out of high school Mr football Gatorade/mcdonalds this and that dad was a NFL QB too right.
    No, Barnes was horrible and should've been fired years before he finally was. Steve Patterson did the dirty work with him like he did with Mack.

But now Patterson is out which is no surprise considering how he nickle and dimed everything about UT athletics.

Oliver Luck (UT grad alum) will likely get the job this time unless UT is somehow able to lure Tom Jurich away from Louisville. Jurich has been considered the best AD in college for a while now but really loves UL, so it'd be quite difficult. Perhaps the thought of having Strong and Shaka in place might make him reconsider the move though, we'll see..

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by MeatWad View Post
    Strong's the real deal and I knew he wouldn't be at Louisville long unless he wanted to be. Will only improve as a coach and he already has the players' respect anywhere he goes. His relates very well to his players but has authority, like Mike Tomlin. He could probably get a D coordinator job in the NFL if he wanted to give up his $5 million a year job. And Mike Tomlin is a good as any coach in the game, any color.

Strong's a born winner, locked up a top 10 recruiting class, is tough and smart. Texas let poor Mack Brown wallow like a senile clown for 3-4 years too long, but made a good hire here, regardless of results.
    Only a complete and total idiot would say that Texas made a good hire, regardless of results. I do not know whether you Strong lovers are Liberals, blacks, or just plain fools but you had better learn your lesson right now. Your days of B.S. and getting what you want are OVER. Learn to do a lot of things standing up because you are going to be doing a lot of that when people are through with you. Stupid posts deserve nothing less.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Texas just fired their AD, the person that hired Strong, so it's looking like Strong's leash is getting shorter by the day.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

As a Louisville fan I didn't really want Strong to go. His recruiting helps a lot at a school like Louisville. It does not at Texas, because it's Texas. Any coach can recruit there. I thought it was a bad move for him to go then, and still think it was now.

He'll get the defense going soon, but the offense will never be too spectacular.

GT21Megatron
    GT21Megatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6199

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Only a complete and total idiot would say that Texas made a good hire, regardless of results. I do not know whether you Strong lovers are Liberals, blacks, or just plain fools but you had better learn your lesson right now. Your days of B.S. and getting what you want are OVER. Learn to do a lot of things standing up because you are going to be doing a lot of that when people are through with you. Stupid posts deserve nothing less.
    You're the idiot. Strong turned Lville around into a legit program that wasn't playing sisters of the poor. He's got to get a QB in there like he had in Bridgwater and I'm sure he will. He's always been able to recruit players and is one hell of a defensive guy. He pummeled Florida in his bowl game two years ago. SMASHED THEM. Texas had a top 10 defense last year and couldn't figure the QB position out to save their lives and it literally cost them 3/4 of the games they lost. Only a complete moron wouldn't read between the lines and understand you have to walk before you can run. He will have Texas back on the National Stage in 2 years. Write that down

existential

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    Texas just fired their AD, the person that hired Strong, so it's looking like Strong's leash is getting shorter by the day.
    I could see how someone might jump to that immediate conclusion, but they're different issues. Steve Patterson had been in hot water with UT fans, donors, and regents for a while now.. reasons of which had nothing to do with Strong.

Yes, it's true that not all the higher-ups liked the Strong hire, but UT was getting quite desperate by the time they got him. And prying him out of Louisville wasn't nearly as easy as some might think it was. That was a place Strong and his family really loved and felt comfortable at. He and his AD (Tom Jurich) at Louisville were very tight so, again, if UT can somehow hire Tom Jurich away from Louisville, Jurich will be more than excited to already have Strong in place.

I'm not saying that Jurich will come to UT and I'm also not saying that Strong is necessarily the 'right' guy for UT, but his status at UT should be ok at least through next season. I doubt Oliver Luck as AD would look to fire Strong immediately either. If I were a UT fan, I'd much prefer Jurich over Luck, but Luck would be a solid back-up plan.

Now, if UT is silly enough (or is ultimately forced) to hire either Bob Bowlsby or Mack Brown as AD, all bets would be off in my mind because both of those individuals are not only unpredictable, but their relationships with Strong are likely considered unestablished or strained at best.

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16988

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    youre really scraping there, 2 not even modern era and one is a complete toss off any list
    saban made some pro d lineman cry if i remember right. im sure most of his players hate him even if they are afraid to say so. there is a long tradition of intimidation, verbal abuse, and denial of water to players in football. think if regular college professors acted that way, ppl would be outraged. i remember our offensive coordinator in highschool made our all district qb cry several times in games and our school was never even serious about football.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I hope you can come up with the $10,000 you are going to owe me when he doesn't get fired after this season. That was our bet wasn't it LardAssDaddyqh? Or was it 3 years? Doesn't matter, you lose either way.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 09-15-15 at 08:31 PM.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by existential View Post
    I could see how someone might jump to that immediate conclusion, but they're different issues. Steve Patterson had been in hot water with UT fans, donors, and regents for a while now.. reasons of which had nothing to do with Strong.

Yes, it's true that not all the higher-ups liked the Strong hire, but UT was getting quite desperate by the time they got him. And prying him out of Louisville wasn't nearly as easy as some might think it was. That was a place Strong and his family really loved and felt comfortable at. He and his AD (Tom Jurich) at Louisville were very tight so, again, if UT can somehow hire Tom Jurich away from Louisville, Jurich will be more than excited to already have Strong in place.

I'm not saying that Jurich will come to UT and I'm also not saying that Strong is necessarily the 'right' guy for UT, but his status at UT should be ok at least through next season. I doubt Oliver Luck as AD would look to fire Strong immediately either. If I were a UT fan, I'd much prefer Jurich over Luck, but Luck would be a solid back-up plan.

Now, if UT is silly enough (or is ultimately forced) to hire either Bob Bowlsby or Mack Brown as AD, all bets would be off in my mind because both of those individuals are not only unpredictable, but their relationships with Strong are likely considered unestablished or strained at best.
    Jurich turned them down 2 years ago, no reason to think he'll leave this time. I'd put the chances of him leaving here at less than 5%. He didn't even bother interviewing last time.

Got into the ACC, have an expansion of the football stadium coming (which is being headed by his son). He's been here 18 years, has his family and grandchildren here. Baseball is strong, as usual, football isn't doing too great but he just rehired Petrino so should be fine in a year or two. Basketball just won a NC a couple years ago, women's basketball has made the finals twice in the past 5 or 6 years. Soccer was #1 or #2 a year or two ago, they just opened a new stadium. New facilities, expansion plans on existing facilities. He can do whatever he wants with backing from the entire University here, as opposed to going to Texas and being forced to do things by their boosters, which could include immense pressure to fire Strong at the end of the year if Texas does poorly. Not to mention, Texas was one of the main reasons Louisville was left out of the Big XII (thankfully).

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30038076/b...ille-not-texas

I'd be shocked to see him go. Good luck to Texas in their search, Jurich isn't going anywhere.
    Points Awarded:

existential gave astro61200 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

existential

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    Jurich turned them down 2 years ago, no reason to think he'll leave this time. I'd put the chances of him leaving here at less than 5%. He didn't even bother interviewing last time.

Got into the ACC, have an expansion of the football stadium coming (which is being headed by his son). He's been here 18 years, has his family and grandchildren here. Baseball is strong, as usual, football isn't doing too great but he just rehired Petrino so should be fine in a year or two. Basketball just won a NC a couple years ago, women's basketball has made the finals twice in the past 5 or 6 years. Soccer was #1 or #2 a year or two ago, they just opened a new stadium. New facilities, expansion plans on existing facilities. He can do whatever he wants with backing from the entire University here, as opposed to going to Texas and being forced to do things by their boosters, which could include immense pressure to fire Strong at the end of the year if Texas does poorly. Not to mention, Texas was one of the main reasons Louisville was left out of the Big XII (thankfully).

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30038076/b...ille-not-texas

I'd be shocked to see him go. Good luck to Texas in their search, Jurich isn't going anywhere.
    Yeah, saw that article earlier, good piece. Jurich and his extended family have certainly been ingrained into UL culture for almost two decades now. The thought of being forced to potentially fire Strong down the line would probably make him extremely uncomfortable, perhaps to the point where he wouldn't even want to take an interview. Personally, I hope Jurich stays at UL because it's nice when people stay where they've actually built something lasting.

Worst comes to worst, Luck or Mack would likely take the job in a heartbeat if offered. Word is that Luck really wanted it badly last time, but still being at WVU at the time made things sticky. In the meantime, they have an interim UT alum to hold down the job until next August, so there's plenty of time for other proven AD names to be added into the mix. Just read that Bowlsby stated he has no interest, so that's good news for UT fans.

First 12