Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

A Giant FUKK YOU to the Feds and MLB - Barry Bonds gets the last laugh Bitches

Congrats on spending 55 Million Dollars and accomplishing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Well done Goverment!!!! Bravo!!!

The federal government spent at least an estimated $55 million to investigate and prosecute former MLB star Barry Bonds for obstruction of justice for allegedly lying about using steroids in 2003, ultimately securing a conviction against the slugger in 2011.
    Whether or not you respect Bonds as a player, the argument that a government with trillions of dollars of national debt should spend $55 million on a legal obsession with a baseball player's truthiness is specious — at best. Even worse: After an appeals court overturned Bonds' conviction this week, the massive investment was — as it stands now — quite literally for nothing.

How could that $55 million have benefited the poor? Or schoolchildren? Or the sick? Or the elderly?
    To throw some perspective on the sum, we rounded up five things that the feds could have bought instead of an overturned conviction that is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty pointless. As it turns out, $55 million can go a long way.

5 ways America could have better spent that 55 million.

<figure class="image">

Image: Seth Perlman, File/Associated Press

</figure>At least three 9/11 Commissions

In the wake of September 11th, the commission tasked with investigating the attacks was given $15 million to document what happened and recommend steps to protect the country. It cost at least three times that to decide if Bonds had lied to a grand jury.

10,000 Pell Grants

Students who qualify for a Federal Pell Grant can receive up to $5,775 each in financial aid. So the $55 million could have helped nearly 10,000 kids go to college.
    <figure class="image">

Image: Brynn Anderson/Associated Press

</figure>10 Ebola treatment centers

The World Health Organization pegged the cost of running a 50-bed Ebola treatment for one month at around $900,000. The money spent on Bonds would have fueled 10 of these treatment centers for six months.
    10 miles of highway

If the money had been spent on building new roads, it could have funded around 10 miles of two-lane highway.
    Medicare for 5,000 people

The U.S. government spends an average of $11,200 per person on Medicare. So $55 million could have covered the costs of health care for nearly 5,000 people.

Better luck next time, federal government.

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10358

Dam....Imagine all the lubrication I could've bought...

Did that ball Bonds hit ever land somwhere?

I would like to see the receipts for this 55 million spending on one case. They should start an investigation...uh, on second thought..
    Last edited by trobin31; 07-21-15 at 12:40 PM.

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16685

No biggie, the taxpayers will be reimbursed very soon

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13170

I think Big Bear should run for Congress.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Best good job

Good find

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Fred Bear settle down

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    I think Big Bear should run for Congress.
    He'd win the nomination for the dumbfukk ticket by a landslide.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Yeah bonds won alright. He is out of the hall. His name is equal to mud. The game squeezed him out. The reality is the game won cause the roids are out of the game.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

wouldnt say he got last laiugh. he isnt getting ionto HOF not cause of steroids cause he was an A-HOLE on steroids. probably ruined it for the whole lot of his generation getting into hall. clemens all them wont prob cause of barry.

think whitey gets last laugh here

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    wouldnt say he got last laiugh. he isnt getting ionto HOF not cause of steroids cause he was an A-HOLE on steroids. probably ruined it for the whole lot of his generation getting into hall. clemens all them wont prob cause of barry.

think whitey gets last laugh here
    they were so arrogant to take him to federal court like that though.... he never once failed a drug test. They had no proof on him ever.

I know he took steroids but i don't think it's wrong that he did it. I played baseball against guys who did steroids in college and i never thought it was unfair that they took that shit. I never wanted them tested or suspended... i feel like you should try to get every possible competitive advantage in sports.

All steroids does is make you stronger and recover faster and everybody has a choice whether they want to use them or not.

I mean i don't have a problem with MLB doing drug testing for steroids now either... I think that is fair now that everyone knows they will be tested....

But Barry Bonds never failed a drug test. It was all based on "allegations" and that is the thing that MLB and Congress really fukked up on is trying to take somebody to court and ruin their life and their career and take away all their accomplishments without any fukkin proof.

and when you do that you get burried and you lose 55 million dollars and your goverment looks like total incompetent pieces of shit.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    they were so arrogant to take him to federal court like that though.... he never once failed a drug test. They had no proof on him ever.

I know he took steroids but i don't think it's wrong that he did it. I played baseball against guys who did steroids in college and i never thought it was unfair that they took that shit. I never wanted them tested or suspended... i feel like you should try to get every possible competitive advantage in sports.

All steroids does is make you stronger and recover faster and everybody has a choice whether they want to use them or not.

I mean i don't have a problem with MLB doing drug testing for steroids now either... I think that is fair now that everyone knows they will be tested....

But Barry Bonds never failed a drug test. It was all based on "allegations" and that is the thing that MLB and Congress really fukked up on is trying to take somebody to court and ruin their life and their career and take away all their accomplishments without any fukkin proof.

and when you do that you get burried and you lose 55 million dollars and your goverment looks like total incompetent pieces of shit.
    those illegally leaked grand jury really hurt him the most imo. without that they might not have gone as far as they did trying to ruin him. and in the end him being a jerk made everyone want to get him more. not sure if there is a pro athlete with as many bad stories going around about him as bonds, even going back to his high school days. what a clown.

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Now that hes not a felon. He should run for president. Hit a few over the whitehouse fence. Like a drone.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Bonds won. Don't like roids, but the hypocritical league didn't have a policy against it, never blamed themselves for not having one, rather enjoyed the immense gate receipts and ratings.

tragicend
    tragicend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 569

Well said.

Pick'nParlays
    My Wifi Name is PrettyFly4aWifi
    Pick'nParlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Yeah bonds won alright. He is out of the hall. His name is equal to mud. The game squeezed him out. The reality is the game won cause the roids are out of the game.
    Don't single him out

Half the league was dirty then

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Damn, highways are expensive