eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

NBA history, the team that wins game 3 wins the series 84% of the time

NBA history, the team that wins game 3, wins the series 84% of the time, when going up 2-1.
    So why is Golden State a small favorite over the Cavs to win the series?

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Cavs are shorthanded and will be gassed tomorrow, Warriors will regain homecourt and win the series

JameisBrady
    JameisBrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1490

Because the warriors were huge pre-series favorites and have HCA. Literally no other reasons.

The fiddler
    The fiddler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anybody that doesn't jump on the Cavs plus money for the series right now is a blooming idiot. Cavs will win in 5. Book it. GS...this aint the marshmallow conference you're dealing with. Cavs obliterated the marshmallow conference the entire second half of the season. Oh yeah...and LeBron plays for Cleveland.

TheLangster
    TheLangster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1675

because cavs only have one nba player on their team

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

That's nonsensical. So by the same logic, teams that win game 1 win the series like 76% of the time or something. So you're saying if, say, the Pelicans had won game 1 against Golden State this would have meant they should have been favoured to win the series at that point?

Every series is different.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

Quote Originally Posted by JameisBrady View Post
    Because the warriors were huge pre-series favorites and have HCA. Literally no other reasons.
    Nope.

kosmos4
    kosmos4's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    NBA history, the team that wins game 3, wins the series 84% of the time, when going up 2-1.

Ask the grizzlies

bryant81
    Update your status
    bryant81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12228

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    That's nonsensical. So by the same logic, teams that win game 1 win the series like 76% of the time or something. So you're saying if, say, the Pelicans had won game 1 against Golden State this would have meant they should have been favoured to win the series at that point?

Well said.

And to add to that, you must also look at WHICH team was up 2-1. For example, if the higher seed (or the team with HCA coming into the series) is up 2-1, then they are more likely to win the series since even if they lose game 4, they still have HCA with a pivotal game 5 at home (and possibly game 7). Whereas if the lower seed is up 2-1, then losing game 4 means they have lost HCA and a pivotal game 5 is on the road (only 1 home game left). Two very different scenarios.

I would like to know, what are the percentages that the team who won game 3 wins the series based on:

1. Higher seed up 2-1

2. Lower seed up 2-1

That would give us a more accurate picture.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by bryant81 View Post
    Well said.

And to add to that, you must also look at WHICH team was up 2-1. For example, if the higher seed (or the team with HCA coming into the series) is up 2-1, then they are more likely to win the series since even if they lose game 4, they still have HCA with a pivotal game 5 at home (and possibly game 7). Whereas if the lower seed is up 2-1, then losing game 4 means they have lost HCA and a pivotal game 5 is on the road (only 1 home game left). Two very different scenarios.

I would like to know, what are the percentages that the team who won game 3 wins the series based on:

1. Higher seed up 2-1

2. Lower seed up 2-1

That would give us a more accurate picture.
    Only 2 teams that have ever done it are the 2011 Mavs and 2013 Heat. One had HCA and the other didn't.

Not sure how many of the 13 teams that did hold the 2-1 advantage had HCA though. Pretty sure it's 87% and not 84 come to think of it, it was 11/11 teams before the 2011 Finals and 2/4 since.

bryant81
    Update your status
    bryant81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12228

Only 2 teams that have ever done it are the 2011 Mavs and 2013 Heat. One had HCA and the other didn't.

Not sure how many of the 13 teams that did hold the 2-1 advantage had HCA though. Pretty sure it's 87% and not 84 come to think of it, it was 11/11 teams before the 2011 Finals and 2/4 since.
    Interesting. Hard to compare if we're only looking at Finals since the format was 2-3-2 until last season.

2Shirts
    2Shirts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

So your saying the Warriors have no nba players, or they're just a bad team. One would think if what you say holds water GS would be one game away from sweeping.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLangster View Post
    because cavs only have one nba player on their team

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    Cavs are shorthanded and will be gassed tomorrow, Warriors will regain homecourt and win the series
    That is what most think

I would of lost almost everything chasing gsw and would do it again tomorrow

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  97.8 KB

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Winning game 3 is updating information. If your prior on GS winning the series before game 3 wasn't as high as 84%, it's reasonable to say this new info makes Cavs the favorite. Thinking of it a different way, GS is a fave to win at least 3 out of the next 4. Do you think the lines are gonna be -300 GS each game? Seems high.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    Winning game 3 is updating information. If your prior on GS winning the series before game 3 wasn't as high as 84%, it's reasonable to say this new info makes Cavs the favorite. Thinking of it a different way, GS is a fave to win at least 3 out of the next 4. Do you think the lines are gonna be -300 GS each game? Seems high.
    The first part of your post makes no sense.

Yeah, it updates the line before game 3, no shit. The line before game 3 was -230/+210. After game 3 it was -120/+100. Is that not an update? One game where they were 2 point faves is not gonna change the line more than that.

Did you not see the game 2 line? GS will obviously be above -300 in both games 5 and 7. They will be a short fave in game 6 if down 3-2 and a short dog if up 3-2 most likely. I'm too lazy to do the math but I figure that makes the fact that they're a fave for the series logical. LT Profits check in, I know you have a model for this kind of thing.

Menses
    Menses's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5815

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    The question I have is how much are they favored over Joey Crawford?

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

I'm too lazy to do the math
    We agree on something.

The fiddler
    The fiddler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Teams that lead 3-1 in NBA finals are 32-0. Warrior backers are in deep shit if Cavs hold serve in game 4.

vasilli07
    vasilli07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10601

I think Warriors will play better tomorrow. I hope Cavs is prepared to deal with David Lee.

astrobloke
    astrobloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1642

I love the fact everyone is still dissing the cav's even though they are the better team, and up 2-1.

Seems that my cav bets, are safe and secure.

new era
    new era's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1931

Means nothing considering they were using the dumb 2-3-2 format.

QuangX
    QuangX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6668

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    That is what most think

I would of lost almost everything chasing gsw and would do it again tomorrow
    this is a brilliant statement. let us chase to our death today JJ