Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

What's With Pitchers Using The Foreign Substances Lately?

First Will Smith, and now Brian Matusz. Both have been given 8 day suspensions that are under appeal. They don't actually think they can get away with something like that nowadays with all of the cameras, and eyes watching, do they?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Not sure why the umpires don't pad down pitchers before going to mount like they do in UFC.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm a little torn on this one. I understand the players wanting to be safe at the plate but isn't that just kind of part of the game? I remember getting beaned and watching others get hit on occasion growing up. It's scary and hurts but I feel it's part of the game.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Lately? Shits been going on forever since baseball started! And no Brady isn't 1st to push boundaries or go beyond limits with air pressure either. Come on man

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

It's not "LATELY", been going on forever.

They should just change the rules to allow it.

All pitchers do it. Batters want them to do it too, it gives pitchers more control and less chance of getting hit by 95MPH pitch.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Cheating been going on forever in all sports but bases has always been ahead of the curve pardon the pun lol. Some might even argue cheating was invented and made into an art form by major leagers in today's modern sports.

Typically shit has always been mostly overlooked unless the offender in question is a hated villian like a Canseco, Bonds, or Brady etc. I would bet anything if that was not Mr T Brady with all the glory, $, and supermodel wife but instead some afterthought scrub playing on a meaningless team like KC or Tenn for example it would barely make the news wire and certainly wouldn't be getting little crybaby girls everywhere panties in a bunch.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

Can't they just make the substance skin colored. Everyone knows all pitchers use this

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13170

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Lately? Shits been going on forever since baseball started! And no Brady isn't 1st to push boundaries or go beyond limits with air pressure either. Come on man
    I was going to say the same thing. They call the Pat's cheaters for 1 PSI in a football. By the way, a football that is HANDLED ever single play by at least two ref's before the snap.

Ra77er

I must have grown up under a rock because kids that pitched when I played didn't cheat like that (to my knowledge). I only played through high school so perhaps this is some shit in college or farm systems that's just a normal deal. It wouldn't make any sense for Fredi to call Smith out if it were just a "thing" to him as well so someone thinks like I do out there.

I hate to get back on this topic but the deflation happened during the super bowl......not the preseason, not in the backyard with your cousins or when your team is 2-8 on the year and you're just trying to get an edge. Pats fans downplaying it so hard its hilarious. Dude got caught, man up and move on.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Only these days to people get so frenzied over cheating and gives the talking heads something to whine about. I've heard every story under the moon far as cheating goes in all sports in every country. Some a bit extreme, some truly are laughable and entertaining.

Can't rememeber who it was but a teammate of Albert Belle in early 90's went tunneling in on a b&e assignment to retrieve a loaded bat Belle got busted with and in process of being tested. Anyway bat was locked away by league but the player achieved his mission and got it back before mlb knew what hit them. Lmao

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

No Pats fan here at all and no I'm guessing they won SB fair and square but the offense happened in prior gm vs Colts....who barely lost I might add and the weight of ball had to clearly be the difference.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It doesn't change the outcome of the game it's penny-ante stuff all those steroids will change outcomes of games

Ra77er

RP is the reason the cheating will continue to happen in sports. It ruins the game and it should make those of us that weren't fortunate/good enough to play at that level angry. I'm not starting 40 threads a day or anything but messing with the game in any way is unacceptable imo. I really wish I could go back in time with the knowledge of how fans view the game today because I would have cheated my ass off in high school knowing that if I did make it people wouldn't care wtf I did.

Ra77er

Oh yea your right RP, it was just the playoffs not the Super Bowl. I smoked too much this afternoon, will crawl back into lurk status only.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

Nothing wrong. All do it. Get your payday first. Apologize later

Ra77er

I should have followed that code TwoWays. RP for the record I wasn't picking on you specifically just that attitude towards cheating frustrates me. I believe you are a Oakland fan if I remember correctly.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Yep I'm an Oakland fan Don't condone cheating really I just acknowledge it's part of the gm and always has been. Is what it is and its always run rampant in sports.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    I must have grown up under a rock because kids that pitched when I played didn't cheat like that (to my knowledge). I only played through high school so perhaps this is some shit in college or farm systems that's just a normal deal. It wouldn't make any sense for Fredi to call Smith out if it were just a "thing" to him as well so someone thinks like I do out there.

I hate to get back on this topic but the deflation happened during the super bowl......not the preseason, not in the backyard with your cousins or when your team is 2-8 on the year and you're just trying to get an edge. Pats fans downplaying it so hard its hilarious. Dude got caught, man up and move on.
    Are you on drugs???? During the Super bowl. LOL.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Yep I'm an Oakland fan Don't condone cheating really I just acknowledge it's part of the gm and always has been. Is what it is and its always run rampant in sports.
    The RAIDERS were and always HAVE been the biggest cheater's in Pro sports. LOL. Their motto used to be: " If you ain't Cheatin, you ain't trying" . By the way, that Fat Slob John Madden used to condone this.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Coulpe games this year I suuurrrree wish Steve Cishek put something on the ball he was throwing.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    The RAIDERS were and always HAVE been the biggest cheater's in Pro sports. LOL. Their motto used to be: " If you ain't Cheatin, you ain't trying" . By the way, that Fat Slob John Madden used to condone this.
    And the thing I liked about them is that they admitted it while they did it. The Patriots are acting like a bunch of politicians out of Washington.

MdReach
    MdReach's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6708

The only things new about this situation is Managers calling players out on it. Its a widely known and used practice for pitchers to better grip the ball, especially in cold weather. The only real issue arises when the substance is applied to the ball which can give it a knuckle-ball effect which doesn't seem to be the case in these recent examples.

Ra77er

You got me .44, I was way off on the significance of the game, it was only the AFC championship. I reprimanded myself mentally and have decided to jump on board with JJ and everyone else that cheating is just a thing and it doesn't affect the outcome in any way.

Ra77er

If anything I believe I have just realized that there is perhaps a market out there for pitchers needing these substances that are stealth in appearance and provide them with a 30% guaranteed boost in command. I am hard at work in the lab now developing said substances. It will be like gatorade for pitchers.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Oh I know Mag no disagreement here. I just state I acknowledge everything imagined has been done by about everyone.Davis use to Mic opponents locker room when visiting Oakland. I read in a playoof gm vs Pitt in '73 or '74 they were sending out half deflated balls for Pitt on fg or p.a.t. attempts lol. Then couple years later in a playoff gm Pitt returns favor by having their groundscrew ice down the field night before we played to slow down our vert attack.

Basketball hoops being tampered with be it springs or height
    Over/under inflated balls
    Scuffed /greased balls
    Loaded bats
    Stealing signs using many different methods
    Making visitors locker rooms uncomfortable as possible
    Finding out what hotel visitors are staying at and renting rooms nearby to have Motley crue like parties raging till dawn so visitors can't sleep
    Stolen or bought play books
    Performance enhancers of many kind mainly steroids or amphetamines which were certainly the thing in mlb long before roids.

Fukk I could go on forever it's all been done to death.
    Last edited by R.P. McMurphy; 05-25-15 at 03:52 PM.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    And the thing I liked about them is that they admitted it while they did it. The Patriots are acting like a bunch of politicians out of Washington.
    Not necessarily true. Bob Kraft the cheap owner of the Pat's came out this week and pretty much said they did. After all his rhetoric about wanting an apology and blah, blah, now he says he is paying the fine and NOT suing the league. Talk about throwing your team " under the bus". If I was Brady I would just retire and tell Kraft & Goodell to go F.... themselves.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Oh I know Mag no disagreement here. I just state I acknowledge everything imagined has been done by about everyone.Davis use to Mic opponents locker room when visiting Oakland. I read in a playoof gm vs Pitt in '73 or '74 they were sending out half deflated balls for Pitt on fg or p.a.t. attempts lol. Then couple years later in a playoff gm Pitt returns favor by having their groundscrew ice down the field night before we played to slow down our vert attack.

Basketball hoops being tampered with be it springs or height
    Over/under inflated balls
    Scuffed /greased balls
    Loaded bats
    Stealing signs using many different methods
    Making visitors locker rooms uncomfortable as possible
    Finding out what hotel visitors are staying at and renting rooms nearby to have Motley crue like parties raging till dawn so visitors can't sleep
    Stolen or bought play books
    Performance enhancers of many kind mainly steroids or amphetamines which were certainly the thing in mlb long before roids.

Fukk I could go on forever it's all been done to death.
    And the Great Red Aurbach, used to pull all that shit. No hot water in visiting club house, change the nets to slow the ball down, if that makes sense??? And on & on. The "edge" is all they cared about. Just too much social media today. LOL.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Soccer another notorious dirty sport. Read once I think it was an American team playing in S Amerca. Can't recall the country but for arguments sake let's say Chile. Anyway Americans arrive and leave their hotel to get to the gm and come across hundreds of cars blocking the streets parked by fans to impede their trip. Team bus can't thru or around in anyway. So every player on team has to get off the bus carrying their shit and run on foot several miles to the stadium so they can play. Lol....shit really happens!

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Soccer another notorious dirty sport. Read once I think it was an American team playing in S Amerca. Can't recall the country but for arguments sake let's say Chile. Anyway Americans arrive and leave their hotel to get to the gm and come across hundreds of cars blocking the streets parked by fans to impede their trip. Team bus can't thru or around in anyway. So every player on team has to get off the bus carrying their shit and run on foot several miles to the stadium so they can play. Lol....shit really happens!
    That was a good idea. LOL.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

So much of that shit is so overblown at times. But honestly so much of it is just mental. If you've ever played a sport everyone knows most athletes are superstitious, or just need that mental edge for themselves or some of its just personal preference, and some is indeed overstepping boundaries to gain an edge at whatever cost. Not trying to condone any of it but let's be honest.

60's Celts, 70's Raiders, Brady, Bonds and whomever for most part didn't honestly need that shit. They truly were or are great and winners regardless.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

How ironic I mention soccer being a forever notoriously dirty crooked sport then comes the fifa bust......who didn't see that coming at some point? God only knows what kind of skeletons are in the closet of our mainland sports we haven't heard about but I'm sure they are there.