SharkAA
    SharkAA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6282

Silver will talk about eliminating Hack-a-Shaq strategy from the game

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...-shaq-strategy

This has to be a joke. It shouldn't even remotely be a topic worth debating by the NBA.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

It should be elimated. All away from ball fouls pass the foul limit should be one shot and possession. Done
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: eidolon, and existential

bosigga
    No Sleep Gang
    bosigga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3706

If they want less stoppages take away a few timeouts and have less commercials. Don't change this rule because a few players can't sink free throws at a decent rate

etothep
    etothep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

Quote Originally Posted by bosigga View Post
    If they want less stoppages take away a few timeouts and have less commercials. Don't change this rule because a few players can't sink free throws at a decent rate
    Based on that & your avatar I can tell you aren't American. Commercials are like 75% of our economy (90% in sports)

They'd make Hack-a-Shaq a required part of the game before they got rid of some commercials

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

He should be talking about eliminating the first round of the playoffs...pathetic
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave Booya711 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

kgindy gave Booya711 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

ridiculous idea, if guys get paid 7 figures, they should be able to make a free throw

SharkAA

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWays View Post
    It should be elimated. All away from ball fouls pass the foul limit should be one shot and possession. Done
    I don't know about Capela and Dorsey's FT%, but DeAndre Jordan is one of the worst FT shooters in the NBA along Drummond.
    It's their responsibility to improve their FT%. Whatever the case about their FT shooting techniques may be, I'm surprised that Clippers (and Pistons) organization don't do anything about it.
    Personally, I like Hack-a-Jordan and I hope it stays that way. It resembles one of the fundamentals of sports; exploiting opponent's weakness to gain advantage. I really feel sorry for the Clippers and Jordan that they're not doing anything about it.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Hit your free throws. Problem solved
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SharkAA

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    ridiculous idea, if guys get paid 7 figures, they should be able to make a free throw
    these guys work hard on their freethrows

for some players who are so big and strong, 7 foot 270 pounds, it is tough to have a soft enough touch to make a decent percentage of free throws

some players are capable of it, some are not.

i like to see them rule out hack a shaq

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Hit your free throws. Problem solved
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Bastard.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    these guys work hard on their freethrows

for some players who are so big and strong, 7 foot 270 pounds, it is tough to have a soft enough touch to make a decent percentage of free throws

some players are capable of it, some are not.

i like to see them rule out hack a shaq
    Me too. Fouling a player like that is just a lazy way to try and get back into the game because your team has not played to the level of your opponent. I don't even consider this a strategy. The rule doesn't exist in college basketball, and shouldn't be in the NBA either.

ZetaPsi808

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Me too. Fouling a player like that is just a lazy way to try and get back into the game because your team has not played to the level of your opponent. I don't even consider this a strategy. The rule doesn't exist in college basketball, and shouldn't be in the NBA either.
    i think they should make it illegal but for different reasons. it is just not entertaining and boring.

is hack a shaq really illegal in ncaab? i was not aware of that

SharkAA

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    i think they should make it illegal but for different reasons. it is just not entertaining and boring.

is hack a shaq really illegal in ncaab? i was not aware of that
    When a team parks the bus in soccer, it's also not entertaining to watch. Should they eliminate it from soccer for that reason? Of course not...

ZetaPsi808

Quote Originally Posted by SharkAA View Post
    When a team parks the bus in soccer, it's also not entertaining to watch. Should they eliminate it from soccer for that reason? Of course not...
    sure it is. the other team has to worry about on defense and can focus their efforts on scoring.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

To me it's like a good fighter in hockey back in the early 90's. You always had one good fighter... and basically sucked at scoring.

In the NBA... you have good free throw shooters.... and guys who can rebound but suck at free throws. It's simply a part of the game.

You know how hard it is to put a line on a game that involves a sh#$ shooter like DeAndre Jordan? It's extremely difficult for a deep team like San Antonio that can foul at any part of the game. Clearly I don't care how good of a line setter you are at Mirage... no fukking way you can figure out an accurate line the way Pop fouls Jordan.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

the regular season has too many games in it.
    the court needs to be widened.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

They could just extend the intentional foul rule for the last 2 minutes to the entire game.

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWays View Post
    this sounds like the most reasonable and least intrusive solution. you obviously can't prevent fouls when teams are trying to make a late come back, but there should also be a modest penalty for this when it happens intentionally on a guy who doesn't possess the ball.

this will keep the emphasis on only fouling someone with the ball, which is still fair to both sides when you think about it. i.e... the team with the lead will still have to work to get the ball into the hands of their best free throw shooters, while the team who's down will still be required to chase that guy down.

the bottom line is that we've all seen this issue turn many incredible games into complete horror shows. almost to the point where it makes you feel like an idiot for still watching. no matter if you consider yourself a serious or common fan, it does affect your entertainment value and somewhat cheapens the events of the game up until that point.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

just switch to FIBA rules each team gets max 2 timeouts in last 2 minutes that fixes one problem

hack a shaq not the problem here