Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

I'm Telling You Guys...The Astros Are For Real!!

Getting excited that my team is starting to become relevant again. Have won B2B road series against Seattle and Oakland. This is the most days in a row that we have been in first place since 2006. Angels, Athletics, and Rangers have gone at least a tier down now. Its going to happen. I'm drinking the Orange Koolaid!!!!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They are better but we do not know how much better

Baseball pretty weak so they have a shot to do some damage

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

They need to make contact, strike out too much. McHugh & keuchel are legit. Decent bullpen. They need a 3-5 starter and no Feldman isn't it

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    They need to make contact, strike out too much. McHugh & keuchel are legit. Decent bullpen. They need a 3-5 starter and no Feldman isn't it
    They have the farm to trade for someone like Cole Hamels if they stay in contention.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

They traded away players for years to build up that farm, if they trade anything away for Hamels or anything comparable it's a mistake

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    They traded away players for years to build up that farm, if they trade anything away for Hamels or anything comparable it's a mistake
    They would have Hamels under control until 2018, so i wouldn't feel too bad about it. Mark Appel is really looking good, and will probably be in the rotation next year.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Offense is still no where near the level of a contending team. Pitching however is a vast improvement. They did well on the pieces they paid for in the bullpen. Definitely the best team in H-town for quite a few seasons. They remind me of the Pirates and how they rebuilt their team. I don't see Houston being in a position to buy nor needing to if they are in that position. Young team, they would be happy to just be in the mix.

They've done it the right way so far, they should stick to the plan. Got more pitching on the way and I think the plan is to be legit by the time Correa is ready to get to the Majors, hopefully like two years tops. Man I cannot remember the last time they has a SS worth a shit, Dickie Thon???!?!

Still, right there with you as someone who grew up in Houston - baseball has been irrelevant there for damn near a decade. Nice to see a team that can at least compete.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Offense is still no where near the level of a contending team. Pitching however is a vast improvement. They did well on the pieces they paid for in the bullpen. Definitely the best team in H-town for quite a few seasons. They remind me of the Pirates and how they rebuilt their team. I don't see Houston being in a position to buy nor needing to if they are in that position. Young team, they would be happy to just be in the mix.

They've done it the right way so far, they should stick to the plan. Got more pitching on the way and I think the plan is to be legit by the time Correa is ready to get to the Majors, hopefully like two years tops. Man I cannot remember the last time they has a SS worth a shit, Dickie Thon???!?!

Still, right there with you as someone who grew up in Houston - baseball has been irrelevant there for damn near a decade. Nice to see a team that can at least compete.
    Ah yes, I do remember the immortal Craig Reynolds

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Been to 3 games this year. 3-0 in those games.

Went to 13 the previous 2 years, 4-9 in those games. I'm loving the improvement, second divisional series in a row we're going into the third game looking to sweep.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Ah yes, I do remember the immortal Craig Reynolds
    He rocked a sweet jew fro back in the day.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Another comeback win! This is getting addictive!

jjgold

KLC have you ever been to the Astros stadium?

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

excited to see Correa whenever he's called up. Astros will be a force in a few years (since they have the Cardinals architect as their GM)

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Yelled, loudly, at work when we drove in two runs in the 9th. This team is learning to love winning.

Rbyrne
    Rbyrne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12643

I live bet the Astros +170 for $200 when the game was 0-0 then of course A's go up 2-0 immediately then Astros go up 5-2 and blow that lead. anyways Evan Gattis hitting .150 on the year hit the game wining double in the 9th

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Why is McHugh a dog tomorrow?

can we say POY?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    KLC have you ever been to the Astros stadium?
    Try to get to Houston every 2-3 years. Minute Maid is a beautiful park. Practically lived at the Astrodome as a kid. Dad got company tickets, and we would see 10-15 games a year.

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 544

Mr KLC, you are one of my elders, and probably one of only the few around here and I just want to tell you I want a hug.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Mr KLC

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

MR KLC how are the weed laws in Houston?

is the bud quality good?

do u recommend living in H-Town?

i was only there once and the only things i remember about it was bars on windows of businesses and it was very flat and there was a lot of chicken wing places

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post

But the rotation includes Roberto Hernandez and Scott Feldman?

Astros have good young talent, but they are short this year. Too early to draw conclusions. They are building the right way though.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

if they are willing to be spenders at the trade deadline and do a correa for Cole Hamels deal then they may have something

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    MR KLC how are the weed laws in Houston?

is the bud quality good?

do u recommend living in H-Town?

i was only there once and the only things i remember about it was bars on windows of businesses and it was very flat and there was a lot of chicken wing places
    Lived there back in the 70's and early 80's during the oil boom. It was a great place to live then. Still love to visit, but don't know if I'd ever move there again. My old neighborhood looks like an atomic bomb was dropped there. Love to go to Galveston. Kids enjoy NASA, and my history buff son likes to see San Jacinto. Its not nearly the same as when I grew up, but it'll always feel like home.

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

MrKLC, we have season tickets to the Astros. let me know if you ever want some games. We usually sell most of the big games that we cant attend, but we also sell them for less than face value usually.

But if it is a game during the week, you can have those for free

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

if they are willing to be spenders at the trade deadline and do a correa for Cole Hamels deal then they may have something
    NOOOOOOOOOO! Looking forward to seeing Correa and Altuve man the middle of the infield for the next decade.

jjgold

KLC where do you live now?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post
    MrKLC, we have season tickets to the Astros. let me know if you ever want some games. We usually sell most of the big games that we cant attend, but we also sell them for less than face value usually.

But if it is a game during the week, you can have those for free
    Appreciate it sir. Not going there this year, but thinking of going back after my son's graduation next year. Want to get that last vacation in before we lose him for good.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    KLC where do you live now?
    Nashville

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

can we say POY?
    Play of year? What is the point of calling a play play pf year?

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Altuve is probably the most underrated player in baseball.

Too early to call them contenders though.

Lets reconvene in this thread in the coming months.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

can we say POY?
    Going against Big Game James.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

no fukkin chance..

Jeff Luhnow builds teams through the draft

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Let's see where they are in September.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    no fukkin chance..

Jeff Luhnow builds teams through the draft

at this point in Cole Hamels career he is a proven ace. That cannot be disputed. There is no shame in trading your top prospect for a pitcher in his prime the caliber of Cole Hamels.

The Dodgers though IMO will be the ones trading their top prospect (Seager) for Hamels.

You know its gotten bad when a team with a salary and a budget like the Dodgers have are trotting out Scott Baker to be one of their starters.