Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Probably a good read on Paver Giant I give you that. I am an older dude and I don't care for 2-1 games unless it's the playoffs.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Solid post, existential.

162 games is way too long. I heard Bob Costas the other day suggest they cut the season down to 154, and then make the wild-card round two out of three, and the divisional playoffs a best-of-seven, with the team with the better record getting the last three games at home. It sounded good. I liked it.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Bunch of fvcking A.D.D. squares.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19443

Spring training should be cut to three weeks total with two weeks of games and the playoffs should be cut to four teams in each league.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nothing but squares everywhere

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Solid post, existential.

162 games is way too long. I heard Bob Costas the other day suggest they cut the season down to 154, and then make the wild-card round two out of three, and the divisional playoffs a best-of-seven, with the team with the better record getting the last three games at home. It sounded good. I liked it.
    Bob Costas knows

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I remember when Coach was on the juice

Name:  drugs.gif
Views: 150
Size:  117.9 KB

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    Nothing but squares everywhere

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Solid post, existential.

NBA needs to cut games more than MLB does.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

If baseball games were high scoring no one will watch. Imagine all games ending with scores like 19-17 or something. Each inning lasts 30 minutes and the games are 6 hours long. There will be a break in the 7th inning stretch so that the players can eat dinner. Think smart before you ask more scoring through steroids.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11641

Baseball is the perfect thing to have on the tv when you want some background noise while doing something else and don't have to devote all your attention to.

JLester2015
    JLester2015's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Quote Originally Posted by existential View Post
    literally no one watches baseball outside of the sedentary and geriatric crowds. it's been like that for many years now, the sport is dead and irrelevant.

only things worth watching..

1. NFL & CFB
    2. NHL playoffs
    3. Int'l soccer tourneys
    4. Tennis & Golf majors
    5. NBA playoffs (barely)

baseball is so unwatchable that even college hoops is better, and that sport is a disaster.

it's funny that people rage about the NBA regular season (which i agree is meaningless), but to think there's still a "sport" that spans nearly 8 months with a long pre-season, 162 worthless games, and playoffs is laughable.
    lmao watching golf and tennis... and soccer when it's not the world cup? You're a moron.

SomeDayinBuffalo
    SomeDayinBuffalo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1201

Quote Originally Posted by JLester2015 View Post
    Pitchers just do it to rebound from injuries though. From my understanding of PED's, don't most of them make your ligaments a little bit tighter? Just asking for arm problems if you do steroids.
    They did them in season also. That's how they were able to recover as fast and be ready for their next start in five days.

The Giant

I'm not really encouraging drug use, but something is amiss here. Pitching is too good. They've been playing with the same set of rules for 150 years, the players are bigger and better today than they were in the 1800s. Hitting a baseball isn't easy. I read some article a few weeks ago, which I can't find now, that stated there are like seven or eight times as many pitchers throwing 95+ mph now as compared to six years ago. Every year since 2006 the collective batting averages in baseball has gone down. In 2006 it was .269, fast-forward to 2014 and its .251. This year it's .225.

Ugly.

JLester2015
    JLester2015's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Watching good pitching isn't ugly, Giant. It is beautiful.

Pitchers are better today than they were 50 years ago, and hitters are probably a little bit better as well. Players get better. The problem is, in baseball, good pitching has always beat good hitting. So if both are getting better, it is an edge for the pitchers.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Agree with above. I like when hitters lay off strikes and swing at balls. Makes the game faster.

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

It's April. Everyone relax.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Golf is using it

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

The Jays have 11 hung on Balty and Bud "the gas can" Norris right now as we speak.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

It's worth the risk for players. Lots of money to be handed out for big year

The Giant

Every game went over today.

It's nice to see MLB quietly took my advice behind the scene.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Would be more interesting if the season started in June or ended right before NFL....season drags on and most people don't care about individual games until it matters the last few weeks

The Giant

They should just play doubleheaders every day, for three months.

Mid-June through mid-September.

Man, that would be intense.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

I stopped watching years ago. .around 2000...so dead now...no one can hit...complete joke...

k13

Oh yeah they changed the strike zone ...

The Giant

They changed the strike zone?

k13

About 4-5 years ago...big dip in average after...

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

it's the only package i buy

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Let me inject your ass Giant!

Dan Kelly
    Update your status
    Dan Kelly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    I never understood baseball. Why do they have to run to the bases counter clockwise instead of clockwise? People are faster when running to their right and more runs would be scored.
    Baseball is the game in which a LEFTY has the greatest advantage over a righty (except for maybe boxing), and I always say that the reason is because baseball was invented by a lefty - then I'm asked how I know baseball was invented by a lefty - simple, they run the bases counter-clockwise, if it had been invented by a righty the bases would go clockwise.

BOL

Dan Kelly
    Update your status
    Dan Kelly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Baseball needs to do 2 things to fix the game =
    1. Get rid of the DH - it has become a true drag on the game by keeping fat has-beens that can no longer run drawing a ridiculous paycheck, because those same fat has-beens run the MLBPA, the DH makes the game much less interesting and thoughtful. The true appeal of baseball has always been the chess-like aspect of it, but more offense is more fun for the spectator.
    2. Move the pitching rubber back 18 inches making it 62 feet from the rubber to the plate. From 1870 to 1900 the official distance from the pitching rubber to home plate was moved 3 times. Now with so much of modern technology helping the defense and the pitcher, but the batters hand eye coordination can't be helped (unless you want to give every batter a baseball version of "google glasses"), it's time to move it back.

I happened to tell my son earlier today that I believe baseball will be a dead sport in 50 years - like boxing is today compared with how it was 60 - 70 years ago.

BOL

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kelly View Post
    Baseball is the game in which a LEFTY has the greatest advantage over a righty (except for maybe boxing), and I always say that the reason is because baseball was invented by a lefty - then I'm asked how I know baseball was invented by a lefty - simple, they run the bases counter-clockwise, if it had been invented by a righty the bases would go clockwise.

BOL
    Baseball had to be invented by a right-hander.

Left-handers can't play second base, shortstop, third base, and you rarely if ever see a left-handed catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kelly View Post
    Baseball needs to do 2 things to fix the game =
    1. Get rid of the DH - it has become a true drag on the game by keeping fat has-beens that can no longer run drawing a ridiculous paycheck, because those same fat has-beens run the MLBPA, the DH makes the game much less interesting and thoughtful. The true appeal of baseball has always been the chess-like aspect of it, but more offense is more fun for the spectator.
    2. Move the pitching rubber back 18 inches making it 62 feet from the rubber to the plate. From 1870 to 1900 the official distance from the pitching rubber to home plate was moved 3 times. Now with so much of modern technology helping the defense and the pitcher, but the batters hand eye coordination can't be helped (unless you want to give every batter a baseball version of "google glasses"), it's time to move it back.

I happened to tell my son earlier today that I believe baseball will be a dead sport in 50 years - like boxing is today compared with how it was 60 - 70 years ago.

BOL
    #1. I don't love the DH, but I don't hate it either. I actually like the contrast between leagues. It's like watching two different games. I don't mind it. I do agree that there is a lot more strategy involved in the National League, though.

#2. I could definitely get behind that. I'm sure they would never change the dimensions of the baseball field though. I'd guess they would be more likely to do something with the mound. IE: lowering it.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

You're a National League guy, Tat, with a team that can't hit.

This plays perfectly for your small ball club.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatddy View Post

Giants let's face it. At some point in the life of most men they reach an age where the excitement of the game as passed us by. You could have just made a thread saying I'm officially an old man and I'd rather just watch highlights. There's no shame in that. My father reached that point 20 years ago.

Love ya

I think you've got it backwards. Old people love these 2-1 games.

This is a new generation, Tat. Either you conform or you're behind the eight-ball. Manfred will make changes. Unlike Selig, he knows how to text and e-mail.
    Haven't been paying much attention to the scores around the league. Tigers are 6-0. I've been watching them though. That's all you guys need to do. Watch them Tigs.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Lots of high scoring games lately. Are steroids allowed now?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Pavers right there seems to be more scoring

First 123 Last