existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    I acknowledge more than once in this thread that a level of sophisticated or "sharp" money sent that line to 144 points. I also acknowledge that early limits were likely hit with that sharp money.

I considered 144 points a pretty sharp line, by most standards. I wrote that. I even give Marques credit for getting there.

So you repeat my position and credit any seasoned market reader with the same position. I guess thank you.

Don't troll, read and comprehend instead.
    I guess you can't comprehend a simple request.

Again, we're still waiting for any "evidence" of this supposed market edge that you claimed to have. You've yet to provide any, just flowery language.

James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

I use Bayes Theorem to compare each team's tempo (PACE) against the league NCAA median. That accounts for game speed reasonably well. As for low scoring vs high scoring teams, that's a bit more complicated. I don't wanna say too much but essentially I have a statistical method that I use to break down each team's possessions and calculate the probability of said team scoring 0, 1, 2, or 3 points on that possession (I eliminate the 4 point play for simplicity purposes, plus it's extremely rare). You do this for both offense and defense. Then you compare team 1 offense vs team 2 defense and get an adjusted number... you get the idea. It's fairly accurate, but has some obvious faults I'm working to correct. At the very least, it is often close to Vegas numbers, so it keeps me selective.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

The lesson here is if you can't fish you go to McDonald's.

sjm5122
    sjm5122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11837

Good play these college kids just cant shoot for shit

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by James Marques View Post
    I use Bayes Theorem to compare each team's tempo (PACE) against the league NCAA median. That accounts for game speed reasonably well. As for low scoring vs high scoring teams, that's a bit more complicated. I don't wanna say too much but essentially I have a statistical method that I use to break down each team's possessions and calculate the probability of said team scoring 0, 1, 2, or 3 points on that possession (I eliminate the 4 point play for simplicity purposes, plus it's extremely rare). You do this for both offense and defense. Then you compare team 1 offense vs team 2 defense and get an adjusted number... you get the idea. It's fairly accurate, but has some obvious faults I'm working to correct. At the very least, it is often close to Vegas numbers, so it keeps me selective.
    More detail than I expected Marques, lol I was just poking a little when asking if you addressed those tendencies. Good work. A good example of how a winning handicapper never stops learning and must constantly improve his work to stay ahead or sometimes just with the markets.

It's not easy.

Points Awarded:

James Marques gave KVB 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Going to need more fish...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  57.7 KB

James Marques

More detail than I expected Marques, lol I was just poking a little when asking if you addressed those tendencies. Good work. A good example of how a winning handicapper never stops learning and must constantly improve his work to stay ahead or sometimes just with the markets.

It's not easy.

Yeah, I tend to get long winded when I talk statistical analysis.

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3403

i prefer steak..

STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

not trying to sound trollish here James, but don't you think all your statistical analysis is already built into the line? I'm of the belief that crunching numbers doesn't do a whole lot of good, bc I believe the books already figure in about every number you can muster up. I tend to put my stock in the intangibles of sports. It just seems like a little bit of a waste of time to be crunching all these numbers when the books have already incorporated it into the line. By all means, if it is working for you then more power to ya, but I just never bought it personally.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Soxsfan9 View Post
    The NCAA needs to stop playing these games in huge arenas where the sight line sucks balls and no one can shoot!
    its most likely not the sightline I bet you somebody messed with the rims theres been an fukk ton of in and outs in both games and both duke and Utah can shoot they both look like Baylor outside of winslow.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Thanks Boomer. As far as basketball goes, the refs are a part of every game, always have been. Don’t let the grove of trees that make up handicapping a game get in the way of you seeing the forest.

Keep an eye on the big picture.

Like I said I appreciate your write up and insight. Actually,it's good to educate or try anyway, to the many uneducated on here. Sorry you lost. I had Utah +5. Can you believe that I communicated that there are many bad beats in BB and then the bullshit foul call with .07 seconds when teams were in the locker room. See, just what I've been saying about the mindset of gambling and the power of our thoughts. That's why I don't post plays, bad energy in here! That FUKING foul was bullshit, game was over!! But it all balances out. Lose with dignity or FUKING cry game was fixed. Lol

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

if you watched game you can see outcome was all random events

James Marques

Quote Originally Posted by STAX View Post
    not trying to sound trollish here James, but don't you think all your statistical analysis is already built into the line? I'm of the belief that crunching numbers doesn't do a whole lot of good, bc I believe the books already figure in about every number you can muster up. I tend to put my stock in the intangibles of sports. It just seems like a little bit of a waste of time to be crunching all these numbers when the books have already incorporated it into the line. By all means, if it is working for you then more power to ya, but I just never bought it personally.
    I don't disagree. But I'm looking at closing numbers the market has moved from what Vegas set initially. If Vegas thinks a line is 4, and I think a line is 4, and then it gets bet up to 6... that's useful information.

James Marques

Further, the math I do is by no means a crystal ball. It simply alerts me to bets I should look into and bets I should pass over. I treat it like reading an injury report or studying a rotation schedule. Nothing more.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by boomer62 View Post
    Like I said I appreciate your write up and insight. Actually,it's good to educate or try anyway, to the many uneducated on here. Sorry you lost. I had Utah +5. Can you believe that I communicated that there are many bad beats in BB and then the bullshit foul call with .07 seconds when teams were in the locker room. See, just what I've been saying about the mindset of gambling and the power of our thoughts. That's why I don't post plays, bad energy in here! That FUKING foul was bullshit, game was over!! But it all balances out. Lose with dignity or FUKING cry game was fixed. Lol
    There's something about posting plays and them going sour that I just can't put my finger on...lol

And I was watching that Duke ending. When he missed the first free throw I thought he was just going to miss #2 and keep it real. Then we all saw what happened.

We'll get 'em next time.

STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by James Marques View Post
    Further, the math I do is by no means a crystal ball. It simply alerts me to bets I should look into and bets I should pass over. I treat it like reading an injury report or studying a rotation schedule. Nothing more.
    OK, that makes a lot of sense then... good insight, always looking for different views on betting, whether I agree or not. I'm more of an intangibles better. I put a lot of stock into anything you can't put a number on... tradition, momentum, destiny, philosophy, feel, "it" factor... I'm sure if I put a little more effort into the numbers crunching side of things (Im very good with numbers, passed 4 levels of college calculus) it could only help me.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by STAX View Post
    OK, that makes a lot of sense then... good insight, always looking for different views on betting, whether I agree or not. I'm more of an intangibles better. I put a lot of stock into anything you can't put a number on... tradition, momentum, destiny, philosophy, feel, "it" factor... I'm sure if I put a little more effort into the numbers crunching side of things (Im very good with numbers, passed 4 levels of college calculus) it could only help me.
    Bingo Stax. You nailed it right here. I have helped countless bettors (well a good amount of folks anyway) take their own subjective skills and see immediate positive results by just considering some of the basic numbers.

You're right...that "little more effort into the number crunching side of things" can become a little more cash in your pocket quicker than you might think. Being able to stack your opinions up against the market in a numerical way, and then diligently track your results will help any bettor's bottom line. Your awareness of the markets will increase, immediately taking you off of some losers and eventually maybe even putting you on to some winners.

To all of us improving....

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: James Marques

First 12