jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

unreal

yes it is...good find

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Would you rather the lady at the DMV make more than a coach?...if it werent for media and tv contracts this map would look a lot different...

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 396

Supply and demand. If you don't like the setup, convince the millions of Americans to stop going to college sports events. I'm sure as hell not invigorated to pay, and see, a New York Medical School Department Chair in action.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Supply and demand. If you don't like the setup, convince the millions of Americans to stop going to college sports events. I'm sure as hell not invigorated to pay, and see, a New York Medical School Department Chair in action.
    Not exactly. There is no supply and demand. It's an illegal cartel. The coaches are getting the players' money. If were supply and demand, Hal Mumme would be coaching Kansas for $150,000 and the players would be making $50,000.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Jayvegas420

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

NrmlCurvSurfr

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    Not exactly. There is no supply and demand. It's an illegal cartel. The coaches are getting the players' money. If were supply and demand, Hal Mumme would be coaching Kansas for $150,000 and the players would be making $50,000.
    Not exactly...it's very much legal...that's the saddest part of all of this...

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

The kids know the system when they get in there. In basketball, they don't have to go to college. There are opportunities overseas, if they choose. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of these kids are getting compensated in other ways, outside their free college education.

Buffalo Nickle

The kids know the system when they get in there. In basketball, they don't have to go to college. There are opportunities overseas, if they choose. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of these kids are getting compensated in other ways, outside their free college education.
    True. They are getting cars and cash. But they are wising up fast. And when they unionize eventually, the game is up.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: gauchojake

NrmlCurvSurfr

NCAA football and basketball players are not compensated at a fair rate if you look at the millions they bring into their universities...not to mention how much broadcast companies make etc...stundent athletes are one notch above slaves imo...not to say thei don't benefit, but the numbers are very much out of line..

BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4137

Now do another map that states the amount of money each and every public employee brings into their institution over and above a substandard replacement and it would look much the same.

If you replace Nick Saban with an average Joe, the University of Alabama would lose millions and millions of dollars. If you replace Eugenia at the DMV with an average Joe, no effect.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    NCAA football and basketball players are not compensated at a fair rate if you look at the millions they bring into their universities...not to mention how much broadcast companies make etc...stundent athletes are one notch above slaves imo...not to say thei don't benefit, but the numbers are very much out of line..
    Never mind the money they bring into the universities. They aren't paying players enough when you compare them to the head coaches salary. Self makes about $400,000 per player on his team. The KU football coaches (including Charlie Weis) make $75,000 per player based on an NFL roster. And this is a school that can't compete financially we are told.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    Oh well. Doesn't break my heart. Kids nowadays feel so friggin privileged, its unreal. I do believe it was unfair that they HAD to stay in school for the full 4 years before going pro back in the "olden" days, but in the same breath, those kids would have had a better case than the group we have now. The good players don't play for the full 4 years like they used to. You mostly see "one and dones" in basketball among the marketable group of kids. What does that leave us when they leave early? A second rate product compared to 30 years ago. How many of the elite players can you even name, compared to when they were in school for a full 4 years? These kids should just be happy about the marketing, television and the NCAA, provides them to get their names out there, all the while getting a free education that more qualified people could use, but probably have to take out student loans instead. A lot of them wouldn't even be on TV, if the 4 year rule had been kept in effect.

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

The Wyoming gig has to be the best

no expectations, good pay, wear shit kickers to work and go cow tippin on the weekends

of all the states paying football coaches, this state is getting bent over for return in investment

NrmlCurvSurfr

Never mind the money they bring into the universities. They aren't paying players enough when you compare them to the head coaches salary. Self makes about $400,000 per player on his team. The KU football coaches (including Charlie Weis) make $75,000 per player based on an NFL roster. And this is a school that can't compete financially we are told.
    It's quite a mess indeed, I think people are waking up though...you have to demand what you are worth, student athletes need to rise up!!

Buffalo Nickle

Oh well. Doesn't break my heart. Kids nowadays feel so friggin privileged, its unreal. I do believe it was unfair that they HAD to stay in school for the full 4 years before going pro back in the "olden" days, but in the same breath, those kids would have had a better case than the group we have now. The good players don't play for the full 4 years like they used to. You mostly see "one and dones" in basketball among the marketable group of kids. What does that leave us when they leave early? A second rate product compared to 30 years ago. How many of the elite players can you even name, compared to when they were in school for a full 4 years? These kids should just be happy about the marketing, television and the NCAA, provides them to get their names out there, all the while getting a free education that more qualified people could use, but probably have to take out student loans instead. A lot of them wouldn't even be on TV, if the 4 year rule had been kept in effect.
    That's how most people feel. Who wants to see a 19-year-old black kid making more than you do paying for the tickets? Better it goes to Nick Saban. It's actually pretty comical. It will be interesting to see how long the bastards can pull it off.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

The saddest part is many states have roads and highways named after football coaches instead of veterans who gave their lives for this country. This bothers me tremendously.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

I think Michigan just changed to football coach.

NrmlCurvSurfr

Never seen a kid play an NCAA sport...these are adults, that are getting played...it's confusing to olds timers I'm sure, but like I posted above. You have to demand your worth, just like the rest of the adults in the workforce...

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14368

Terrible, just terrible.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

That's how most people feel. Who wants to see a 19-year-old black kid making more than you do paying for the tickets? Better it goes to Nick Saban. It's actually pretty comical. It will be interesting to see how long the bastards can pull it off.
    I never said that. A matter of fact, as a compromise, if a 19 year old thinks that they can market themselves in things like shoe deals, commercials, etc. have at it. I think it would actually help market the college program, with the top players names out there even more. That way, the players that deserve more money are still free to go get it, and the others that will never be pro in the first place, are still getting their education. If you start putting everyone on the payroll, it just opens a big can of worms. Why can't the girls volleyball team be paid? Its not their fault their attendance is down. Why aren't high school players being paid? They go to school too. Keep it simple.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

What's the sad part?

Buffalo Nickle

I never said that. A matter of fact, as a compromise, if a 19 year old thinks that they can market themselves in things like shoe deals, commercials, etc. have at it. I think it would actually help market the college program, with the top players names out there even more. That way, the players that deserve more money are still free to go get it, and the others that will never be pro in the first place, are still getting their education. If you start putting everyone on the payroll, it just opens a big can of worms. Why can't the girls volleyball team be paid? Its not their fault their attendance is down. Why aren't high school players being paid? They go to school too. Keep it simple.
    The reason you don't pay volleyball players is that they aren't playing professional sports. College football and basketball players are employees in enterprises earning multi-million dollars. The only way you can do that is to rig the labor market.

If they want to have amateur sports let them drop the ESPN television contracts and athletic scholarships and go back to the intramurals at Michigan getting in the bus and playing the guys at Michigan State to see who wins instead of playing these ringers.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

The reason you don't pay volleyball players is that they aren't playing professional sports. College football and basketball players are employees in enterprises earning multi-million dollars. The only way you can do that is to rig the labor market.

If they want to have amateur sports let them drop the ESPN television contracts and athletic scholarships and go back to the intramurals at Michigan getting in the bus and playing the guys at Michigan State to see who wins instead of playing these ringers.
    Actually, I see players in college sports as apprentices, working through the school, to improve their trade, and potentially start a career in that desired field. Its not the NCAA's fault that they know how to market this lesser quality product so well.

Buffalo Nickle

Actually, I see players in college sports as apprentices, working through the school, to improve their trade, and potentially start a career in that desired field. Its not the NCAA's fault that they know how to market this lesser quality product so well.
    People are willing to perform all sorts of mental gymnastics to try to avoid it. Not sure exactly why people are so against NCAA players being paid. I guess it is the romance of it all and of course the racial aspect of watching yet more young blacks making money doing what white male adults have dreamed about and would do for free gladly. The whole thing is pretty obvious and undeniable. People who claim to believe in a free market absolutely expose themselves when it comes to this issue.

NCAA players are clearly minor league players but much more profitable than other professional sports which are not protected by anti-trust exemptions. The NCAA is just a benefactor of a accident of history and they are certainly making the most of it.

Brooks
    Brooks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

when you live in a country that allows soldiers to rape boys in front of their mothers, what can you really expect

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13200

Thanks brooks. Now go clean up.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

People are willing to perform all sorts of mental gymnastics to try to avoid it. Not sure exactly why people are so against NCAA players being paid. I guess it is the romance of it all and of course the racial aspect of watching yet more young blacks making money doing what white male adults have dreamed about and would do for free gladly. The whole thing is pretty obvious and undeniable. People who claim to believe in a free market absolutely expose themselves when it comes to this issue.

NCAA players are clearly minor league players but much more profitable than other professional sports which are not protected by anti-trust exemptions. The NCAA is just a benefactor of a accident of history and they are certainly making the most of it.
    Racial? Really? I don't know what professional sports you are watching on TV. There are quite a few "people of color" getting paid well. I don't see the white college players getting paid either, so I don't even know where you are coming from with that statement. This is more of an emotional issue, than a business one, that brings the "It's not fair!" groups out whining and complaining. That's why I brought up volleyball earlier. You can't say that we are just going to pay the football, and basketball players. Yeah, you get what YOU want, but what about the other kids that play for the school in different sports? They then have an emotional beef with the school. They can say its sexist to pay the boys' teams in those sports. Its not their fault that they can't play football, and make money too. What seems fair to you on this issue, will not be fair to others that want to drag it even further down the road.

There's one thing these kids just need to learn. Life is not fair! If you don't like the system, nobody is forcing you to become a part of it. If you think you have better options out there, other than a free education, and a platform to showcase your skills to a future employer, have at it.

Buffalo Nickle

Racial? Really? I don't know what professional sports you are watching on TV. There are quite a few "people of color" getting paid well. I don't see the white college players getting paid either, so I don't even know where you are coming from with that statement. This is more of an emotional issue, than a business one, that brings the "It's not fair!" groups out whining and complaining. That's why I brought up volleyball earlier. You can't say that we are just going to pay the football, and basketball players. Yeah, you get what YOU want, but what about the other kids that play for the school in different sports? They then have an emotional beef with the school. They can say its sexist to pay the boys' teams in those sports. Its not their fault that they can't play football, and make money too. What seems fair to you on this issue, will not be fair to others that want to drag it even further down the road.

There's one thing these kids just need to learn. Life is not fair! If you don't like the system, nobody is forcing you to become a part of it. If you think you have better options out there, other than a free education, and a platform to showcase your skills to a future employer, have at it.
    Hey, that's the problem of being labor instead of ownership. You gotta fight for your rights. There is only one way the whole thing gets resolved and it is the same way the pros and any workers ever got their rights. They unionize and go on strike. When the money stops flowing, the fat hits the fan.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11642

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    If you replace Nick Saban with an average Joe, the University of Alabama would lose millions and millions of dollars. If you replace Eugenia at the DMV with an average Joe, no effect.
    Actually, average Joe would be a massive fukkin improvement. I'm all for it.

Buffalo Nickle

This is more of an emotional issue, than a business one, that brings the "It's not fair!" groups out whining and complaining.
    That's a fact. But obviously, you don't have a problem with athletes getting scholarships which is without a doubt compensation. You just think it is ENOUGH compensation. Obviously, when Nick Saban is making 7 million and the player that people are paying to see gets nothing and people like yourself say that's the way it ought to be, you are responding emotionally. You don't object to compensation at all. You just object to the amount. It offends you that the players would get what they are clearly worth. Yes, it is based greatly in race but also in jealousy of a player getting payed to "play." It's breaking the romantic idea of amateur sports which is obviously a crock. Romantic ideas are purely emotional ones.

NrmlCurvSurfr

Isaiah, what have you got to say about all of this? Is this why the mapp is so fukked?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

That's a fact. But obviously, you don't have a problem with athletes getting scholarships which is without a doubt compensation. You just think it is ENOUGH compensation. Obviously, when Nick Saban is making 7 million and the player that people are paying to see gets nothing and people like yourself say that's the way it ought to be, you are responding emotionally. You don't object to compensation at all. You just object to the amount. It offends you that the players would get what they are clearly worth. Yes, it is based greatly in race but also in jealousy of a player getting payed to "play." It's breaking the romantic idea of amateur sports which is obviously a crock. Romantic ideas are purely emotional ones.
    Going to bed now, but I saw you responded a couple of hours later, so I will just complete my part of this conversation with a summary. I have not once given an emotional answer to this problem. I have told you my stance on how I believe that these kids are working as an apprentice, through a university, to improve their skills, and possibly forge a career on a platform provided to them by the networks, and NCAA. Same as a law student would with a law firm, and a medical student at a hospital. This is the same type of stage that our high schools provide these kids, so they can possibly get the opportunity at a college degree. (I guess you would want us to take the profits from all state organizations that sponsor high school football also, since those kids are the ones we come to watch.)

I have told you alternate ways that the kids who are superstars can recoup their money, without opening the flood gates, so to speak, and causing total chaos within the system. By chaos, I'm speaking of lower tier sports wanting their "fair share" once the Pandora's box has been opened. Let them commercialize themselves, if they want. Let them get an agent to help. Baseball, and basketball players have immediate options to go pro in the minor leagues, or overseas, if they choose.

Again, you say I give an emotional argument, but you are the one that keeps bringing up racism, and jealousy. Indeed, emotional terms. Your argument is that the money is there, so it has to go to the players. My argument says no it doesn't. The marketing groups for the NCAA, universities, and television networks are the ones that have given these kids this grandiose stage to promote their talents to possible employers at the next level. Many of these kids don't take full advantage of the educational benefit that is forwarded to them, which is their decision. Why the hell do you want to throw even more money at them, when they are probably going to be compensated on the next level anyway?

You say the schools are using these poor students. Well think of the poor students that might not get a scholarship because the university cut the program for their sport because it isn't financially feasible. You can think what you want, but these coaches will not be paid less. The university has to keep its profit margin, while maintaining the status quo of the cash cow. There is only so much money to go around. That means someone will get hurt, and if you think its going to be the people that are already get paid greatly, you're crazy. It will more than likely be your volleyball player, or your golfing student because they don't bring the attendance in like the bigger sports. Hell, maybe some schools will even cut the football program (UAB anyone?). Are you then going to have them make a law that they have to provide these programs, and scholarships? Like I said before, it never ends.
    Last edited by Mr KLC; 12-30-14 at 11:20 PM.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

if u dont like America get the fukk out. We could care less about Europe or any other fukkin place.

America has its problems sure but its still the best country in the world and dont piss us off either or we will fukkin vaporize you.
    !
    Germany and Japan found out the hard way what happens when u fukk with USA!

12 Last