Betpoints: 5652

They're done

first d1 program to fold since pacific

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?story...26&src=desktop

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Consolidation is the best solution. Some of the football players of small schools are barely athletic.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

It's a good start. Now if we could get rid of about 30 or 40 more horsesh*t programs the overall health of the college game would improve dramatically and fans would be the winner.

Less dilution of talent means more parity, thus more competitive games. Also, fewer "Sisters of the Poor" teams would force the traditional "powerhouses" to schedule legitimate non conference games instead of scrimmages against teams who agree to be cannon fodder in exchange for a huge payout.

Less is more.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 12-02-14 at 09:24 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    It's a good start. Now if we could get rid of about 30 or 40 more horsesh*t programs the overall health of the college game would improve dramatically and fans would be the winner.

Less dilution of talent means more parity, thus more competitive games. Also, fewer "Sisters of the Poor" teams would force the traditional "powerhouses" to schedule legitimate non conference teams instead of ridiculous games in which cannon fodder teams agree to be beaten up in exchange for a huge payout.

Less is more.
    they were 6-6 under a first year coach, surely worse teams like new mexico st should be canned before them

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Wasn't Tulane close to folding a couple years ago as well? Crazy..Memphis and other CUSA staples might be in line as well.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    they were 6-6 under a first year coach, surely worse teams like new mexico st should be canned before them
    Absolutely. Order of demise is of secondary importance, just 'git er done"! The more the better.

Oh but who would the mighty Nebraska Cornhuskers schedule then?
    Last edited by Isaiah; 12-02-14 at 09:26 PM.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Tough to compete against Alabama for market share.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

hopefully they get a bowl game

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Blazerettes please report to Daner's condo to complete course credit

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Damn, just watched the video one of the players recorded from in the room with the Pres of the University being told about the axing. Emotional...those guys made their case. YouTube UAB players in Disgust or Ray Watts UAB rant. Hope those guys land somewhere and play.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

I know a few people in Birmingham, and they say the Alabama flags on people's cars are all over the place. UAB, nothing.

Really sucks. They just couldn't draw. NCAAF needs smaller programs like that. Widespread contraction is not the answer.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Ralphie - you are correct on the support aspect. Once Bama stopped using Legion Field years ago was only a matter of time. UAB campus in a bad spot to get to with the headaches of the game and 70% of Tide fans live in the Bham burbs as it is so just hop on the road and drive the 30 minutes (3 hrs in 20/59 gameday traffic) to Tuscaloosa so it pretty much makes UABs football like Tulane is to LSU...the met students are only ones who attend and they do it to pass time not for the fan thing.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    Ralphie - you are correct on the support aspect. Once Bama stopped using Legion Field years ago was only a matter of time. UAB campus in a bad spot to get to with the headaches of the game and 70% of Tide fans live in the Bham burbs as it is so just hop on the road and drive the 30 minutes (3 hrs in 20/59 gameday traffic) to Tuscaloosa so it pretty much makes UABs football like Tulane is to LSU...the met students are only ones who attend and they do it to pass time not for the fan thing.
    Do you think South Alabama has a chance? I talked to a guy from Mobile at an airport, and he didn't even acknowledge them (huge Auburn fan). Couldn't name one player at SoAla, but could name everyone to ever play for Auburn.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    I know a few people in Birmingham, and they say the Alabama flags on people's cars are all over the place. UAB, nothing.

Really sucks. They just couldn't draw. NCAAF needs smaller programs like that. Widespread contraction is not the answer.

Ralphie, when I was in undergrad, UAB had no football program. Every student at UAB was a Bama fan. Every student, because of proximity and tradition. UAB is a great med school, had no business in the football business. UAB is always upgrading their hospital facilities, ALWAYS. The med school is the baby, the football team is the foster child..............good only if it brings in money. Which it wasn't.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11641

So are the players allowed to transfer without having to sit a year out?

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Remember well when UAB began their FB program...

Some Auburn 'fans' thought it would hurt The University... Even called Bama UAT

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?story...76&src=desktop

Sad, wonder what becomes of their players
    prison

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Do you think South Alabama has a chance? I talked to a guy from Mobile at an airport, and he didn't even acknowledge them (huge Auburn fan). Couldn't name one player at SoAla, but could name everyone to ever play for Auburn.
    Not sure. Depends on how the university divides out the money with USA I suppose....conference funds wise. UAB was stuck with the deadweight of the failed CUSA teams once teams started jumping ship with that American Conference thing and all. The guy from Mobile is correct though about the low key program but I've lived in and around all the Alabama schools at some point and from what I remember of South Alabama it was mostly Florida kids that went and played there - its 30 miles or so from Pensacola Florida so they usually drew more of the Gulf Coast players than they would Auburn types. Just too many watered down teams these days....with all the hype of Miss State and Ole Miss this year Southern Miss (Brett Favre's start) is really feeling the pressure to survive in the coming years....another CUSA school. The only difference with them from UAB is the facilities since UAB has been neglected while Southern Miss has tried to keep improving on their stadium and all for several years but damn they have had shittty teams for 4+ years now

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

I went to UAB, sad day for us Blazers, Bama doesnt like us, never schedule us, pure punks. Its all good, more focus on Blazer basketball now.

jtoler

Could be adapted into a movie.

Ralphie Halves

I just feel bad for those kids who did pick UAB as their program, bought in, got all excited to play college football, then this.

Hoping that SoAla becomes that UCF type school that gets the leftover Alabama kids and still ends up strong. I don't think it's as watered down as much as they say, there's good talent everywhere nowadays, and it gives more kids a chance to play D-1 and better themselves.

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    hopefully they get a bowl game
    Yes, match em up w Georgia Southern

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Wow... very surprising actually. How many damn college basketball teams do we have compared to college football? Way too many b-ball teams if you ask me. How the hell do you keep track of them all? Sad to see a football team fold up though. Wow. And I never knew Pacific vanished either. Hard to keep track.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3369

I agree monopolization is not a good thing.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Sad. Especially for the players.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO

UAB announced the school will resume football competition beginning with the 2017 season.

The Blazers will remain an FBS program, be counted as an FBS level opponent and is eligible for postseason activities. Bill Clark will remain head coach and has a tall task in front of him to re-stock a roster. For those interested, UAB will also resume Rifle for the 2015 season and Bowling in 2017.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

Stupidest thing ever It's like a self-imposed death penalty. Good luck getting over that! How long did it take SMU?

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

I think it is a good think as all of the kids will get a new lease on life by moving out of Birmingham.

Alabama is a bottom 10 state.

If they did not have coastline, they would be bottom 3

jtoler

Blazers, nice name.
    Last edited by jtoler; 07-26-15 at 10:11 PM.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    I think it is a good think as all of the kids will get a new lease on life by moving out of Birmingham.
    How so?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Blazers, nice name.
    These aren't my blazers, fwiw

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    These aren't my blazers, fwiw
    They are mine, alumni, wasn't being sarcastic. Prob. most horribly located school in America.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

UAB clinched the C-USA West — the first championship of any kind in program history — with a 26-23 overtime victory against Southern Miss to move to 9-1 and stay unbeaten in league play.

12 Last