BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money
    BigBusiness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Can you turn your kid into an elite professional athlete if you start early enough?

Say if you take a child from his early years and only focus on one particular sport vigorously until he grows into an adult. What are the chances that he will become an elite, world class, cream of the crop professional athlete?

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Id start with some of the kids you see on the late night commercials and see how it goes first. IF you were pretty diligent with training them, maybe even hiring a professional then could maybe get a few 2nd round draft picks

Ra77er

Freak injuries would be the thing that would be hardest to handicap

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

there's just so many pussies out there
    Last edited by texhooper; 10-27-14 at 01:48 AM.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

If your kid don't grow, no chance in hell

Ra77er

I'm working under the assumption that Bigbiz doesn't have a kid yet. If you do have a kid then your approach would be to look for what he has a natural affinity for and then develop it. Mama Biz having some athletic genes would help along with pops. Just knowing the sport and maybe playing in high school or a little college ball doesn't make you a great coach for your kid. Bottom line would be +ev to take a turkey baster to Lebron's sheets if your looking for an NBA star and then find an egg that played at the rucker or something.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

0.00000000000000000001%

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

If you're Asians, no chance in hell
    Points Awarded:

manny24 gave tony_come 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

go to africa an adopt a 7 foot 10 year old and maybe
    Points Awarded:

manny24 gave Big Bear 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

If you have good genes and have athletes in the family then absolutely. If I worked my ass off, I could have at least got a scholarship in football or basketball. It's all about genetics. I would like to find an athletic tall girl and pump out some kids since my family is full of athletes but I love short, petite girls so I'm gonna have to the make the money myself. Plus, I'm white.

Still have tennis, soccer, hockey...so many sports that you can find the one to maximize the chance for your kid to be successful, if you want to be that type of parent. Shit, I was an all-star goalie growing up but gave it up. Who knows. So many athletes in the world, the chances are very minimal to make it.

I'd love my kid to play basketball but not gonna force it. I wasn't allowed to play football even though that was my best bet. QB/LB/TE, if I busted my ass I really believe I could have made it to college ball. Oh well, wasn't built for it mentally anyway. The chances are rough.
    Last edited by Cuse0323; 10-27-14 at 05:06 AM.

HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

Check in on Todd Marinovich to see how this turns out in real life
    Points Awarded:

manny24 gave HotStreak 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

You could in not so athletic "sports"....such as racing and golf. No guarantee of course but much easier.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Depends. Some kids the harder you push the further they will be from what you are pushing them towards. Other kids are soft lil puddles that do everything mommy and daddy say so depends on the kid. Also your genetics, if someone is 5'4" and their girl is 5'2" prob not gonna be breeding the next Yao Ming.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

If you can figure out how to, I'm sure it'd be a big business

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

as already mentioned Genes are by far the biggest part.

but I still think there is a niche for NFL specialities of Kicker, Punter, Longsnapper (if you got bigger boned/framed genes) that could train any reasonably athletic kid to become

not too many under 6'0 white kids got a shot at NBA
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: manny24

geebert74
    geebert74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

My kid is almost 3 and I have him taking pile-drivers and irish whips to get him ready for the WWE. Nothing is out of the question.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: greenhippo

BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4143

Quote Originally Posted by BigBusiness View Post
    Say if you take a child from his early years and only focus on one particular sport vigorously until he grows into an adult. What are the chances that he will become an elite, world class, cream of the crop professional athlete?
    That was what Todd Marinovich's father tried to do. He was a damn decent athlete to the college level but never made it in the pros, and certainly was not an elite, world class caliber player.

Then he was pretty f*cked up for much of his life, getting arrested for drug offenses and sexual assault. So maybe people should consider that before trying to make robo-athlete.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    If you're Asians, no chance in hell
    Yao... Lin....

warbux
    warbux's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

all about them genetics tall and strong if your kid is 6'0 by he 10 then hell ya!

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

My 8 year old has been playing baseball since he was 3. We started off slow with some Lil Sluggers stuff and now it's at the point that baseball is his favorite thing to do.

I coach his team but I can honestly say I've never pushed him to play. I simply introduced him to baseball.

I'm 6'-0" and his Mom is 5'-7" so I feel he has a good chance for a full ride scholarship barring injuries. Getting drafted would be a miracle but I don't tell him that. Let him dream and work hard and have fun.

geebert74
    geebert74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    My 8 year old has been playing baseball since he was 3. We started off slow with some Lil Sluggers stuff and now it's at the point that baseball is his favorite thing to do.

I coach his team but I can honestly say I've never pushed him to play. I simply introduced him to baseball.

I'm 6'-0" and his Mom is 5'-7" so I feel he has a good chance for a full ride scholarship barring injuries. Getting drafted would be a miracle but I don't tell him that. Let him dream and work hard and have fun.
    Glad to see parents doing the right thing. You see it way too often with parents pushing their kids way too hard to do something that the kid may have no interest in at all. Nice that your not just dropping him at practice and games and getting involved. Kids need that more than we ever truly realize. Go get em Lock!

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

have a 12 year grandson that's dreaming pro football. Finish season yesterday and will move into school league next year. He was biggest kid on team and controlled games from his lineman position. I love watching him play and plan on hiring tutor next year for him. My son is 6'6" better then 500 lbs

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

skills>sports

ronald
    ronald's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8459

Not with the genetics and habits of most posters.

Most posters are in terrible shape physically, terrible athletes, and just in overall poor health.

etothep
    etothep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

Can't train/teach genetics

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Korean chicks own the LPGA because they identify talent early, take these young girls and train them 24/7 from a very early age.
    It works because the culture doesn`t value woman with anything resembling equality.

BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money
    BigBusiness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Quote Originally Posted by DOM-Ganador View Post
    Korean chicks own the LPGA because they identify talent early, take these young girls and train them 24/7 from a very early age.
    It works because the culture doesn`t value woman with anything resembling equality.
    Interesting. I never knew that

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

There are a lot of things which are way more important teaching your kids than wasting their childhood to have a slim chance at getting them into the pro level.

Ra77er

What could possibly be more important than turning your kid into a meal ticket?

Ra77er

Brittney Spears perfect example, run her ass into the ground like seabiscuit as kid and collect that money before it blows up....Maccauley caulken another one

warbux

A friend of mine is trying to do this with his son, its sad because the kid isnt even good and he seems to not care. All he talks about is his sons sports activity and how "good" he is and how he will go pro. I kinda just wanna tell him the kid sucks.

I was invited to a couple of this kids games to see his "talent". The scariest part is after his sons poor performance his dad would scream at him. I never went back to one of his games again but still talk to the dad frequently cause he is a pretty decent guy.

warbux

The dad is also one of the guys always saying "i could have gone pro" blah blah blah. Pretty annoying when I think about it I should cut ties with this guy.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

easiest way to get college scholarship is pole vaulting. Hardly any competition.

litterally everyone and their brother plays baseball

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by etothep View Post
    Can't train/teach genetics

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by jayc88 View Post
    There are a lot of things which are way more important teaching your kids than wasting their childhood to have a slim chance at getting them into the pro level.

12 Last