Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5949

Espn really sucks for this.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Not that hard to figure this out.

The NFL is ESPN's single biggest client. When an employee calls your biggest client a "fukkin liar" on your own website, you're going to have to do something about it. Has nothing to do with whether or not Goodell is a fukkin liar. It's simply business.

Simmons made the mistake of thinking he's bigger than the company. He's not.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

twitter is a strange place

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Right on. You also don't dare your employer to suspend you. They can plug another chimp into Simmons seat any day.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Right on. You also don't dare your employer to suspend you. They can plug another chimp into Simmons seat any day.
    Fans for the most part dont care. The blowhards making the most noise are ex-nfl players and guys like Simmons.

Probably about a third of fans are "outraged" or disappointed with how the league handled the fiasco but they will watch more NFL games, make more posts about it on twitter/instagram/facebook and talk non-stop about their fantasy teams.

Soxsfan9
    Update your status
    Soxsfan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

This is great PR for them. Everyone is talking about ESPN and they get clicks and the Simmons fans will only grow in numbers. Its a win-win and the machine keeps on turning!

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Not that hard to figure this out.

The NFL is ESPN's single biggest client. When an employee calls your biggest client a "fukkin liar" on your own website, you're going to have to do something about it. Has nothing to do with whether or not Goodell is a fukkin liar. It's simply business.

Simmons made the mistake of thinking he's bigger than the company. He's not.
    It's definitely not that simple. Yes, ESPN and the NFL have significant ties but ESPN is also a news organization that has the responsibility to report everything significant in the sports world, both positive and negative. Censoring those who speak truth to power sets a dangerous precedent for the company and personally is enough for me to move on to other places in acquiring my sports news.

DrStale

Quote Originally Posted by Soxsfan9 View Post
    This is great PR for them. Everyone is talking about ESPN and they get clicks and the Simmons fans will only grow in numbers. Its a win-win and the machine keeps on turning!
    Everyone is talking about how ESPN is garbage. yeah I know any publicity is good publicity but for many people who have been seeing ESPN's news quality slide further and further down this may very well be enough to turn them off. At least it is for me.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    It's definitely not that simple. Yes, ESPN and the NFL have significant ties but ESPN is also a news organization that has the responsibility to report everything significant in the sports world, both positive and negative. Censoring those who speak truth to power sets a dangerous precedent for the company and personally is enough for me to move on to other places in acquiring my sports news.
    That all sounds noble...but that whole unbiased "responsibility" was lost when espn agreed to pay 15.2 billion to broadcast NFL games.

You can't have it both ways.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I believe in censorship

Freedom of speech has hurt our nation actually

a mix of democratic facism would be very good for usa

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    Who is Bill Simmons?
    Never heard of him either.

DrStale

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    That all sounds noble...but that whole unbiased "responsibility" was lost when espn agreed to pay 15.2 billion to broadcast NFL games.

You can't have it both ways.
    Why? ESPN has been showing sports and reporting on sports scandals for decades. Is it simply the amount of money? Where do you draw the line at being able to pay for broadcasting right while still being a reputable news source?

And just because ESPN may be beholden to the NFL doesn't mean it's beholden to it's employees. Goodell is an assclown who's position within the league is doing massive damage to the organization and thus hurting ESPN as well. If anything ESPN should be clamoring for this guy's job so that someone semi-competent can take over.

zola
    zola's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

It was on his weekly podcast where he and Cousin Sal discuss the upcoming NFL lines.

He said it was "fukkin bullshit." Those were the expletives which were bleeped out on the podcast. BUT then he said "I dare anyone to call me about saying this. I dare you." Aiming it at the ESPN big wigs. I guess they took him up on his challenge.

Word is the ESPN President felt like he was calling him out and took a lot of offense to it.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Never heard of him either.
    This is Bill....
    [IMG][/IMG]

I spoke with him today. He's still in good spirits.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Good one Opie!!

First 12