Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5614

Will MLB Ever Do This?

Okay, so MLB needs to quicken the game no doubt and I believe measures will be taken in some form to meet that end. But in this day where replay is par for the course in order to get the correct call (which I believe is a good thing because if we can stop a bad call screwing a team then I am all for it) why do we still have umps calling balls and strikes? Tennis adopted the Cyclops to get it right so why not here (think-Zone or whatever they call it now)? And before you talk to me about the umpires union bitching that it would take jobs away, I say keep the home plate umpire for calls at the plate, check swings, etc....just let the computer call the balls and strikes.

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Umps won't go anywhere. It's part of baseball. The interaction with the umpires, the back and forth. It's just part of the game.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5614

Quote Originally Posted by laclippers504 View Post
    Umps won't go anywhere. It's part of baseball. The interaction with the umpires, the back and forth. It's just part of the game.
    I'm not suggesting they go anywhere Clips. A home plate ump would remain as would the others. Just taking a critical task away that too often gets botched.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

good idea

would speed up game

swinger make a video..we want to all slam you

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    I'm not suggesting they go anywhere Clips. A home plate ump would remain as would the others. Just taking a critical task away that too often gets botched.
    I feel ya.

I guess I'm old school and Iike it the way it is