BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Watch this Frank Thomas HOF speech. One of the best I've seen.

Thankfully there was one person out of this HOF group that was worth listening to.
    The rest were all trust fund babies just saying the right things.
    Pretty awful.
    Torre's speech was ok.
    All the Braves guys were garbage.
    Frank Thomas couldn't get it together for practically the whole speech. He was a wreck, nervous, and overwhelmed.
    By far the most appreciate of the award and the only one of the group who wasn't handed everything in life as a kid.
    This was an amazing speech.

Does anyone else recall any great HOF speeches? I'd like to watch a couple of guys that were as grateful and appreciative as The Big Hurt was.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

The Big Hurt wasn't ever on any PED's? Uhhhhhhhh...

This guys traps were SO BIG at times... usually a key sign when someone is taking PED's.

TheMoneyShot

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Money

I believe the White Sox (when Thomas played), as a team, WANTED all of baseball to be tested. I can't remember the exact guidelines, but the team intentionally triggered testing, as per the rules involving PED's at the time. I think if so many players on a team didn't show up or missed a certain number of tests (or something similar??), then the whole team got tested instead of a couple random guys by random tests. So the players did what they had to.

I/O

Also, I don't know if you were aware of this, Auburn gave Thomas a scholarship for FOOTBALL.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Frank was no juicer. Fck that nonsense.

Video didn't work for me, another link just in case. Absolutely great speech from a great hardworking man.

http://deadspin.com/heres-frank-thom...ech-1611751909

TheMoneyShot

It's ok for me to take some heat on this one. He played during the years of Canseco... Bo Jackson. etc. Similar body structure. Like a tank. And please don't anyone say Bo Jackson never took roids. Growing up as a kid looking at these players... I was brainwashed into thinking eat your Wheaties and drink your Milk. What a dumb fuk I was.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Bo Jackson was a bull as a kid

We're starting to get into the habit now anybody that cries during the Hall of Fame speech it's the greatest speech both times

Please let's all stop that way of thinking

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11176

I missed those days seeing him and Griffey hitting those bombs!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: eidolon

jjgold

everyone does not take steroids

man some guys are real dumb here

MoneyIsWater
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    MoneyIsWater's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Instead of criticizing what may have happened. EMBRACE his greatness, IF he did take them, you can fully accuse him because there is no evidence.

I firmly believe Thomas and Bo never took any PEDs/Roids.

It is said that any time an Athetle reaches greatness now, he is accused of doing it the wrong way.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    It's ok for me to take some heat on this one. He played during the years of Canseco... Bo Jackson. etc. Similar body structure. Like a tank. And please don't anyone say Bo Jackson never took roids. Growing up as a kid looking at these players... I was brainwashed into thinking eat your Wheaties and drink your Milk. What a dumb fuk I was.
    Bo didn't lift weights...steroids wouldn't have done him any good. Guy was a freak of nature. Thomas was clean, HOF wouldn't have let him in if there was the slightest hint of PED use (see Bagwell).

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

To even mention Bo and frank Thomas in the same sentence is a joke.
    Thomas was just a mammoth of a man his whole life.
    He was Never in steroid talk once and consistently hammered steroid users his entire career.
    Guy was just a hard worker and a gym rat.
    If you try and say this guy did roids, the whole steroid talk should be retired and put to rest. There weren't many big names who didn't do roids anyways, but this guy was one of the few who did it the right way, and despised ppl cheating to match his talents.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

So all of the white guys had everything handed to them is that correct Benny? You're a joke and a biggest fool on SBR.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

If Frank was on PED's he would have hit 60 HR every year.
    But he wasn't, that is why he hit 50 doubles every year.
    The guy was a beast of a man with a great swing.

jjgold

Guy was one of the most talented hitters in the last 30 years

Strong and powerful and a very quick bat

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

Bo didn't lift weights.....lol

Yeah he just got out bed one day ripped and big.

There all juicers including griffey but that's Ok .

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Bo didn't lift weights.....lol

Yeah he just got out bed one day ripped and big.

There all juicers including griffey but that's Ok .
    Yep, all his former teammates dating back to high school and college and his coaches must have been lying. Griffey took roids
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: I/O, and Cuse0323

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32787

Joe Torre a trust fund baby
    Too funny

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4508

White Sox fan here, followed him all my life, from the beginning. Look at his stats: He was a great avg. and OBP guy, led the league in BA and didn't hit many bombs until 2000, which was the only year near the era of real suspicion. His greatness had nothing to do with HRs. End of story. Possibly the greatest right handed hitter of all time. Pujols under much greater suspicion now and Cabrera hasn't been caught or implicated.

SG

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    White Sox fan here, followed him all my life, from the beginning. Look at his stats: He was a great avg. and OBP guy, led the league in BA and didn't hit many bombs until 2000, which was the only year near the era of real suspicion. His greatness had nothing to do with HRs. End of story. Possibly the greatest right handed hitter of all time. Pujols under much greater suspicion now and Cabrera hasn't been caught or implicated.

SG
    I love Frank Thomas, but WTF?

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    Possibly the greatest right handed hitter of all time.

SG
    Joe D.
    Willy Mays
    Hank Aaron all say hello.

Hell, I'm not even sure if Thomas was a better right handed hitter than Vlad was.

I/O

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Joe D.
    Willy Mays

Hell, I'm not even sure if Thomas was a better right handed hitter than Vlad was.
    If you don't count walks

jjgold

Bo was big as a Freshman in college

pretty much seals he did not do roids

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    If you don't count walks
    That's just it, Vlad never met a pitch he didn't like, saw him once hit a double off a pitch that bounced in the dirt four inches from the plate.

stevenash

Oh, and if the OP wants to watch epic HoF speeches, he needs to watch Andre Dawson and Goose Gossage.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Joe D.
    Willy Mays

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-g...-frank-thomas/

He created more runs than anyone you mentioned. Pure hitter, he was better than all 3 (in his prime).

stevenash

So now, based on a RC27 stat, Thomas was better than Mays, Joe D, and Aaron.

Good bye.

TheMoneyShot

For all the people who are so conclusive about athletes who never took roids... do a cycle for yourself... I don't care if you're 5'8 and 210 with a 40 inch gut before you cycle. Go to the batting cages... watch how precise, fluent, and crisp your swing is. Watch how dramatic your hand eye coordination is. You're almost like a robot.

Played softball for a year about 5 years back... never hit a home run in my life. Did a cycle... my first 7 at bats 4 were home runs. They finally decide to pitch me differently. Yes, it's only softball. But mind you... I never hit a home run in my life... and I've always lifted weights since age 16 off and on. And no... that bat wasn't shaved or rolled.

That's why I know anything that's PED gives you an extreme advantage. Why the sport of baseball??? Compared to Football, hockey, or basketball? I don't know??? But steroids do something for a hitter. Gives you more focus... more confidence. The ball looks probably 3X bigger than a normal baseball coming to home plate.

So after you guys cycle... then come back to me... and tell me if these players didn't take roids or not. I bet you... it will change your thinking process.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BennyBigNuts

TheMoneyShot

These guys play 162 games a season. Traveling from state to state. Away from their families... they hardly have time to lift weights. You think steak dinners on airplanes get you ripped? Fatigue would be a HUGE FACTOR. It's a supplement that's doing it. There's no way you can go from ball park to ball park.... with hardly any rest... and put up 60-70 HR's. It's unhuman like.

I/O

For all the people who are so conclusive about athletes who never took roids... do a cycle for yourself... I don't care if you're 5'8 and 210 with a 40 inch gut before you cycle. Go to the batting cages... watch how precise, fluent, and crisp your swing is. Watch how dramatic your hand eye coordination is. You're almost like a robot.

Played softball for a year about 5 years back... never hit a home run in my life. Did a cycle... my first 7 at bats 4 were home runs. They finally decide to pitch me differently. Yes, it's only softball. But mind you... I never hit a home run in my life... and I've always lifted weights since age 16 off and on. And no... that bat wasn't shaved or rolled.

That's why I know anything that's PED gives you an extreme advantage. Why the sport of baseball??? Compared to Football, hockey, or basketball? I don't know??? But steroids do something for a hitter. Gives you more focus... more confidence. The ball looks probably 3X bigger than a normal baseball coming to home plate.

So after you guys cycle... then come back to me... and tell me if these players didn't take roids or not. I bet you... it will change your thinking process.
    I'm gonna say it's cuz your eyes are also just muscles

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

These guys play 162 games a season. Traveling from state to state. Away from their families... they hardly have time to lift weights. You think steak dinners on airplanes get you ripped? Fatigue would be a HUGE FACTOR. It's a supplement that's doing it. There's no way you can go from ball park to ball park.... with hardly any rest... and put up 60-70 HR's. It's unhuman like.
    Your softball analogy was very compelling. Frank put up 40 or more 5 times in a 19 year career so not sure what you're even saying with 60-70 HR's. I don't need to do a cycle to believe that one of the biggest advocates against steroids didn't juice. It still bugs Frank today and continues to talk about it when he really should just let it go. It's crazy that it has come to this where it's impossible to put up HOF numbers without using in the eyes of many. Just sad.

Maybe most of them, but if Frank juiced his numbers would be so much better.
    Last edited by Cuse0323; 07-30-14 at 12:00 AM.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

So now, based on a RC27 stat, Thomas was better than Mays, Joe D, and Aaron.

Good bye.
    No, sir. He was better according to many statistics. Not overall player. Offensively. Open your mind up a bit. He had historically great statistics.

stevenash

^
    My mind is open.
    As far as hitters goes, without considering defense, (he doesn't know the defininton of the word) and speed, an amputee could get around the bases faster, he was the best OBA+OPS guy of his era.
    I'm big OBA guy, and he was the best at getting on base and combining that with power, of, like I said, his generation, his era.
    If he played defense, do you think his offensive numbers would have been the same?

OK, let' stack Frank's numbers against others of his day.

Was he head and shoulders better than the hitters of his era?

Vladimir?
    Gridffey Jr.?
    Bonds?
    Albert Belle?
    You can throw Bagwell in there if you want.