jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

This one hitting everyone real hard

I hated watching news about it and him its too sad

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11078

I was a big fan of gwynn when i was a teenager playing baseball but lets face it the skoal did it to him he had a choice to chew or not to but mustve been an addict

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

It was an honor to watch this gentleman play. Like the poster earlier had stated, it was commonplace to see him in the NL average standings through most of his career. Wish he could have gotten a World Series championship ring. To the poster that questioned why God would take him so soon, just remember, only the good die young. While we stay stuck with guys like Barry Bonds, and Alex Rodriguez, a great ambassador of the American Pastime is lost.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47501

Gwynn's death is hitting me pretty hard. All the stories and the looking back at his career, achievements and impact on the game and numerous young players has been emotional and heartwarming.

I feel very lucky to have watched or listened to a large majority of his career..it was liking watching a Van Gogh or Rembrandt at his craft. The way he handled a bat and made a game of failure look so easy was magical. He was by far the best PURE hitter that I've ever seen. It's nice but bittersweet to see and hear many former peers, teammates and baseball people talking about him in such high esteem, deservedly so. RIP Tony
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chachi, Sam Odom, I/O, and Ra77er

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

good post , jake

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47501

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    good post , jake
    thanks sammy..This is a tough time for San Diego and baseball fans everywhere..

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I feel privileged to have been able to watch Tony and MJ and Gretzky's careers ...

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10352

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    I feel privileged to have been able to watch Tony and MJ and Gretzky's careers ...
    well said RIP, seemed to be such a great guy!!

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Another crazy Tony gwynn stat

From 1995 when he turned 35 to the final year of his career in 2001 he batted .350 and collected 937 hits

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Tony is a perfect example of why mid80s-90s cards are +ev and worth more than paper. Flipping through the binders, several pages of Tony. He was one of my favs, brings back some good memories. Playing baseball and trading cards, Tony was part of it. RIP.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chachi

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Great point by many on the internet tonight...no tribute to Tony at the ASG. MLB and FOX messed up.

Nothing new from FOX but would think that MLB would set something up.

BarstoolProphet
    BarstoolProphet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1530

Bug Selig stated that his greatest shame as commish was the strike shorten season. You are Fing right Bud. If you recall Tony was hitting a .396 going into that strike. And only needed something like 8 of 14(not sure on the numbers) of an estimated at bats he would have had, if they finished the season, to hit .400. Everyone knew that he could have done that easily.

Believe me, when the Nation watched intently when McGuire and Sosa were having their slug fest. I assure you TG would have had the same, if not more eyes on him to finish at .400. RIP Tony. Dont worry about MLB or FOX or the ASG. I will always remember you.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chachi

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bad move by baseball

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

One of baseball greatest players...and MLB don't honor him last night

BeanTownClown88
    BeanTownClown88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4131

I read that he could have gone like 0 for his next 1100 something at bats and still would have had a .300 career avg.

Legendary

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

going 0 for 1182 at the end of his career would still have left him being a lifetime .300 hitter

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

Willie Mays was a .301 lifetime hitter in the big leagues.

Tony Gwynn was a .302 lifetime hitter with two strikes.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: hawkwind, JAKEPEAVY21, and thezbar

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Anyone remember Parker Brothers Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Game? Any time Tony Gwynn was up to bat... it was an automatic single. lol Even when defending the bunt... Gwynn would get a base hit just by laying down a bunt. lol Couldn't get the dude out. Legend.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Anyone remember Parker Brothers Starting Lineup Talking Baseball Game? Any time Tony Gwynn was up to bat... it was an automatic single. lol Even when defending the bunt... Gwynn would get a base hit just by laying down a bunt. lol Couldn't get the dude out. Legend.
    Great hitter. After Ted Williams, one of the great hitters that turned Hitting into a science. He would travel with his video machine and build a scouting report on opposing pitchers.

ESPN did a great piece years ago on Tony Gwynn vs Greg Maddux. Really the most analytical Batter/Pitcher from that era. Great talents but they made it a thinking man's game, too.

First 123