ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11612

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Sore loser..guy went on a tirade to reporter after race. I never saw this before.

No rule that these horses have to run other two races

So what they were fresher part of the game
    Wasn't that amazing? I never saw anything like that before either. I'm so sure he would have somberly slipped these talking points into interviews had CC won.

"our horse had a target on his back" (they bent the rules to let his horse run with a nasal strip)

RGG
    RGG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

What a sore loser. Man up your horse lost.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I wonder how many people who watched the race can even name the horse that won?

ByeShea

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    Conquistador Cielo won the Met Mile, I think it was, and then won the Belmont less than a week later by FIFTEEN lengths.
    Trained by Woody Stephens who took 5 Belmonts in a row, including Swale.

RGG
    RGG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I wonder how many people who watched the race can even name the horse that won?
    i can't name you a single horse other than CC and 3 weeks ago couldn't name you a single one.

ByeShea

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Just like interviewing an athlete right after a game, they're going to be fired up. If you interviewed him now it'd be a totally different experience. Who cares? How many of you, me included, post stupid shit right after a game that our team lost?
    We've all seen many, many interviews with disappointed horse owners, team owners, etc. I don't ever recall seeing such whining to the camera, pretty much ever - nothing comes close. Works for you though.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273605

Quote Originally Posted by mw00 View Post
    yet if the horse won, he'll thump his chest and take in the glory and say how special his horse is bc no horse has won the crown in 30 years..but now that he lost, it's a travesty. if he was so appalled then he shouldve withdrew his horse before the race started, not wait til the results to bitch and complain.

au contraire mon fraire

He did say it before the Belmont. In fact before the Derby. how do I know. Well Ill tell ya...

I was in Louisville OAKS morning, driving to a hotel to pick up my Oaks tickets through a stub hub sale

Of course catching Louisville radio horse racing local coverage which is on non stop Derby weekend...

One of the local radio stations Had an interview with Steve (I don’t recall if it was syndicated type radio show or a local sports radio show ) and in that interview that morning they asked him about his statements about he is winning the Derby and even the Triple Crown. In that interview (radio) that day he said the exact same thing about the triple crown, the Belmont, needs to change, only horse that run in the first races should have a chance in the Belmont, new horses coming in late make this task unfair to the horses and connections attempting what the sport is seeking, and his feelings is that this needs to change.... very direct… it was strange to hear actually.... It also is not an opinion that I agree with but I heard it, adsorbed it, the two guys interviewing were a bit taken back as you normally don’t get a real interview in anything these days its just jargon and political correct, They discussed it a bit after the interview ended so it got their attention some also…Ive been thinking about it lots since that morning…
    Now when I heard that great open brash interview OAKS morning I was thinking WOW this will be an interesting year for the Triple Crown, and Chrome connections with this not afraid to state his opinion wild card co owner). I figured well if Americal Sports gave Sherman a partial pass I think this guy will get through it also but I was not sure… I was already feeling like many that he was going to win the Derby, Preakness sets up great for him and then the Belmont buildup will be interesting with this as one of the backdrops......

but unlike what ANYONE has reported about Steve and his opinions he was and did say this BEFORE the Derby....and to the Press...SO I was not even the smallest amount surprised on the in your face 3 minutes after this huge emotional event that NBC sticking a mic in front of him got those direct post race comments again, which again stated the same opinion on the process I heard 5 weeks 1 day earlier. But this time included “cowards” and more heat of the long battle phrases which were unfortunate and I thought inappropriate by Steve.

While I wish he would have been rehearsed a bit more by him those are his actual thoughts.

So sorry haters, there was no Sour grapes at all... so now Ya know...

and I can also say if they had won the Crown he would have said the same thing again, if you want these spaced maybe 35 years apart stay with this format but for the improvement of the sport change some things as his opinion...

. Lots more horse racing discussion next week or so and his consistent opinion and holding to it.

you can debate the opinion but now you know the truth...

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

The old man is spot on with his statement... Fukking cowards!!!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Sam Odom

ProPicker713
    METS!
    ProPicker713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

try , it takes star quality for a triple crown, no need to change the format. Look at the mlb for example before Miggy won the triple crown in 2012,
    Carl Yastrzemski last won it in 1967, 45 years to be correct it took for another triple crown in MLB. Miggy for the past 2 year has been nothing but great although he is struggling this year. Give it within the next 5 years we will see a triple crown winner in horse racing

ProPicker713
    METS!

2012 AL Miguel Cabrera DET .330, 44 HR, 139 RBI
    1967 AL Carl Yastrzemski BOS .326, 44 HR, 121 RBI
    1966 AL Frank Robinson BAL .316, 49 HR, 122 RBI
    1956 AL Mickey Mantle NYY .353, 52 HR, 130 RBI
    1947 AL Ted Williams BOS .343, 32 HR, 114 RBI
    1942 AL Ted Williams BOS .356, 36 HR, 137 RBI
    1937 NL Joe Medwick STL .374, 31 HR, 154 RBI
    1934 AL Lou Gehrig NYY .363, 49 HR, 166 RBI
    1933 AL Jimmie Foxx PHA .356, 48 HR, 163 RBI
    1933 NL Chuck Klein PHI .368, 28 HR, 120 RBI
    1925 NL Rogers Hornsby STL .403, 39 HR, 143 RBI
    1922 NL Rogers Hornsby STL .401, 42 HR, 152 RBI

ProPicker713
    METS!

Look at those number in the post above, it takes a true star to put up them numbers.

chaka
    chaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11152

lets say they change to allow only the KD entries in the other 2 races, does he really think he would win 3 races in a row against 20 horse fields?.. That's making it harder not easier and increases injury risk to the horses.

these are developing animals that need to be peaking over those 5 weeks not racecars that just swap a part out for the next race. some horses have been injured in prior races or in training so they cant get the points needed- why should these owners be prohibited in the latter two races because of injury? or the horse not being developed/mature enough?

once the other 19 horses lose the Derby they cant win the Triple Crown so his theory only pertains to the Derby winner..as an owner of non winning derby why should they be forced to risk injury when the biggest Racing Jewels for 3 yr olds(KD & TC) are no longer attainable and target being healthy and competitive for the horses next start

so whats his stance on horses that have enough points but are #21 or # 22 but there are no scratches to get them in the Derby?--so these owners are supposed to pay 3 entries for qualifying for the 3 races and then not be allowed to run? Or they qualified but don't make the derby but a scratch gets them in Preakness or Belmont and they win? Are they cheaters/cowards too? Plus these horses still require training, food, housing, etc Bills need to get paid.

and yes they do have a target on their back but so does the champion in every other sport- Coburn is taking the "target thing" personally. Its one thing if two jockeys conspired to just keep CC from winning by intentional interference rather than trying to focus on winning outright but they are jockeys not owners and it would be their last race ever if such nonsense were attempted.

He is exactly the guy who if he had lost the derby would be doing whatever he could to prep his horse to win one of the latter two races and prevent a TC winner by being a spoiler-. That is a completely natural thing and is everywhere...look at all the football & other sports teams who cant make the playoffs trying to win to keep other teams out of playoffs too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and teams/players openly call themselves "Spoilers" and it keeps the integrity of competition in order.

No one forced Mr Coburn to race in all 3 races but he was chasing the ultimate in horse racing where several things need to go right for many many weeks and rather than be thankful for havin a 1 in a million horse and being in a position where many others in the sport have spent their life pursuing and not making it- when the final piece of Racing luck failed to fall his way... he chose to attack his defeater
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ProPicker713

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

There was something I disliked about the California Chrome connections and now I know what it is: the buffoon of a co-owner. What Coburn fails to understand is that, for a variety of reasons, some are specifically pointed toward ONE of the three TC races. Deputed Testamony was a Baltimore horse and the Preakness was a much bigger deal to his owners; some trainers DO have horses likely to race well over a longer distance, and thus, the Belmont is more attractive. This is not a one-size-fits-all proposition.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

I thought, what a sore loser at 1st, but he's right. The last triple crown winner had a different format.

Watching the race, Chrome wasn't in front at the stretch. So if the race was shorter, he still wouldn't have won.
    Tied for 4th is not bad after winning the 1st two. How many other horses fell way back at Belmont after winning
    the 1st two?

He should just shut up and take his couple hundred grand and be glad he got that.

Edit: he's on Good Morning America.....Now.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Apologizing to everyone. Tears flowing. Wife is proud of him for going public and apologizing.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Yes, it was a different format, but you have to sleep in the bed you make. Everyone knows the deal.

A winner nowadays would arguably be even more of a champ. By the way, this wasn't exactly the greatest year of contenders/foes for CC either. Danza didn't even take a shot at him again, and he finished 3rd in the Derby on a bad trip.

The stars were aligned but CC just didn't have it. Period.

matrix1022
    matrix1022's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12110

It was good period for horse racing that's dead

King tut
    King Butt
    King tut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8655

Im King Tut JJ. You got the wrong King

Magnolia Slim
    Magnolia Slim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    Man what a cryin cok that owner was ....the other Derby winners all faced newcomers somewhere what a poor show
    of sportsmanship by a guy on a 10 k free ride

Im pretty sure we will see a match race around Oct some time Chrome vs Toenails
    toenails..

First 1234