MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I played football in high school and like it the most of any sport but I love watching soccer and that is now probably second for me overall

It took a little bit to get used to but it really grew on me once I started to learn all of the good players, teams etc probably about 7 years ago....

Soccer will be huge in America in about 10 years I believe.....The popularity between now and 5 years ago is crazy
    Points Awarded:

zizoudane10 gave MoneyLineDawg 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

hotelis
    hotelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 957

soccer is the king of sports

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5045

So easy a caveman can do it....and probably did.

cala56
    cala56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5810

in 10 years will be a top league the MLS.

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    I played football in high school and like it the most of any sport but I love watching soccer and that is now probably second for me overall

It took a little bit to get used to but it really grew on me once I started to learn all of the good players, teams etc probably about 7 years ago....

Soccer will be huge in America in about 10 years I believe.....The popularity between now and 5 years ago is crazy
    Possible, especially since how pansy our next generation is going to be because no one wants to get hurt. So some of our better athletes parents might force them to play soccer which will be good for the game.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by cala56 View Post
    in 10 years will be a top league the MLS.
    Master Yoda I just don't think it's possible

Networks will never make it a big primetime sport because they can't make enough money on it with advertising

Unless they change the game with stoppages for commercials or start running commercials in a split screen like Nascar

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    I have played. And when I did, we were taught to work as a team and to treat your opponent with respect, I suppose I got out of it before they taught us to over exaggerate any contact and whine until the ref buys it, or gives me a card for bad acting. Looks like I missed out on a lot not going pro
    Playing when youre 15 or younger does not count. You have never played a high level to experience what the game is really like.
    Literally seen people get knocked out, legs broken, arms broken, noses broken, etc.
    You will never understand the game unless you have played college ball or higher.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post
    Playing when youre 15 or younger does not count. You have never played a high level to experience what the game is really like.
    Literally seen people get knocked out, legs broken, arms broken, noses broken, etc.
    You will never understand the game unless you have played college ball or higher.
    Well I don't know what that's like. But I can say that I loved playing, I just moved on to other sports and then realized watching soccer was not nearly as much fun as playing. I do think soccer players athleticism is underrated. Running the field for 90+ min will keep you in shape. I do enjoy/respect that part of it.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Anyone see that hit in the USA game?

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love soccer. We just don't have a great product here yet. Also no way MLS becomes a top 3 league in next ten years. I don't think americans realize how much the top soccer teams pay for players. think the NY Yankees type salaries times five.

I didn't see the hit Tham I am watching thunder sleepwalk through the late 3Q. What happened?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    To understand the US indifference to soccer, all you have to do is examine the high school experience in America. Homecoming & cheerleaders is a socially a central part of just about every high school in the United States - and it revolves around football, 100% like the movies.

So what happens is, athletes who've spent their grammar school years playing soccer switch to football by junior high where all the hubbub is. It's totally cultural.

So football is perpetuated while soccer gets fizzes out. And this isn't going to change. More American kids have been playing youth soccer than baseball since the 1970s - and yet everybody stops (except the chicks ... and how is US ladies soccer, anyway?)
    Same in Australia, soccer is biggest junior sport until kids turn 14 or 15. But same as US it's the least popular pro football code here. AFL, Rugby League and Rugby Union all more popular.

It's got nothing to do with cheerleaders (dont have them) or another sport being the main thing at school down here. But they still drop off playing about that age.

Mothers like soccer more than other football codes for their kids is one big factor.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    I love soccer. We just don't have a great product here yet. Also no way MLS becomes a top 3 league in next ten years. I don't think americans realize how much the top soccer teams pay for players. think the NY Yankees type salaries times five.

I didn't see the hit Tham I am watching thunder sleepwalk through the late 3Q. What happened?
    Dude from the other team rocked Bedoya from usa

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Popularity and being good at something are two completely different things. For example, picking winners is popular on the forum, but that doesn't mean everyone is good at it
    No argument here,if everyone on the forum was good at Sports Betting,it would be a much happier bunch of people.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Soccer is a beta sport, always will be.
    In the US. Agreed.

All this "soccer is about to take off" stuff has been being said in America forever. And for over a generation more American youth play soccer than any other sport. That is massive exposure. And then ... the kids (the boys) simply stop playing. It's cultural. Again, just look at any high school in the United States. The sports program, even the dances, and some times town identities, revolve around football.

Undo that (and that's not impossible, considering head injuries and how litigious society is) and then soccer has a chance. But I don't see it happening any time soon.

I'm not even a hater, think it's a great sport and I keep tabs on some of the European clubs. But the people in the stands of MLS games will continue to be youth league soccer team outings and bored immigrants.
    Last edited by ByeShea; 05-28-14 at 06:21 AM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I guess it's all part of your culture and where you're from

Every country is different when it comes to sport

Hard to change just like the NFL still top sell in Europe

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Personally I think Americans love soccer.

The problem is there are too many profesional soccer leagues.

They need to just have one elite soccer league and play it here in USA.
    Major League soccer does not have the best players and there are not enough teams to get the whole country interested. Personally i would much rather watch soccer than basketball.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Personally I think Americans love soccer.

The problem is there are too many profesional soccer leagues.

They need to just have one elite soccer league and play it here in USA.
    Major League soccer does not have the best players and there are not enough teams to get the whole country interested. Personally i would much rather watch soccer than basketball.
    They have elite soccer leagues. And they aren't here, never will be.
    Why?
    Because there isnt a big enough market for it. Elite soccer players make BANK in Europe.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post
    They have elite soccer leagues. And they aren't here, never will be.
    Why?
    Because there isnt a big enough market for it. Elite soccer players make BANK in Europe.
    Thats why the best American players are over in EPL

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

yeah no shit but pro soccer is too watered down all the good players are split up between so many different continents...

All the good players need to play in 1 league like in MLB.

They could have like a secondary league similar to what Japan is in baseball.

Americans are not going to get excited about professional soccer if we dont even have the best players.
    Major League soccer in the US is equlivalent to single A baseball.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

The only sports I watch from beginning to end are football and maybe a nascar race. Other than that, I just
    bet them and sometimes win. Very rare a soccer game. I don't know when their season starts or ends.
    Any info would be appreciated. Also a system to play would be helpful.

packerd_00

To be honest Soccer season is all year round it feels like,there's games on all year to bet on from some country or other,never stops.

whareouttogetme
    whareouttogetme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4195

Easy.

Americans like "BIG" "FAST" "MUCH" "MANY" "WOW" "EXPLODE" everything. If you got 50 points for scoring a goal, so games ended 150-100 they would love that shit.

They also don't like draws, but it would be ridiculous to have teams play 120-minute games 2 or 3 times a week. What they do in American sports is have someone play, then after 20 seconds when they're tired they show an advert and go to the bench, and another player comes on for 20 seconds, then he goes off and another comes on for 20 seconds. Adverts are shown during everything.

Football is a tactical sport, it's not about just being the fastest/strongest (like the other guy said before, whoever takes the most steroids wins)

NFL: "You there, run fast that way! You also, you run fast too. You there, quarterback, you hold the ball and wait for these guys to run fast and then throw the ball to them"

Hockey: "You there, run fast that way! When you lose the puck, run fast back the other way. Try and hit puck into the goal"

Baseball: "Scratch your balls and spit on the ground, then we'll go to a commercial for 2 minutes"

Then there's the fact USA are just shit at football, and most people don't want to watch their team never achieve anything.

whareouttogetme
    whareouttogetme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4195

Quote Originally Posted by akphidelt View Post
    Possible, especially since how pansy our next generation is going to be because no one wants to get hurt. So some of our better athletes parents might force them to play soccer which will be good for the game.
    You do realise the guy in your pic is wearing like 10kg of pads and protection, right?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

ARoot55
    ARoot55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

This has been an entertaining thread. I know everyone has been saying soccer will take off in the US in the next ten years forever, but I think it really has a chance now. Youth football numbers are going to continue to decline and kids in the US will likely continue their soccer careers longer as opposed to switching to middle or high school football. When high school players increase in the US more quality players will be produced. It'll be funny when more and more athletes from the US start dominating soccer and Europe will be left with second rate leagues in every sport but cricket and badminton.

horja1
    Grrrrrr
    horja1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by akphidelt View Post
    It's absolutely boring and played by the rest of the world because that's pretty much all they can afford. Just wrap up some sheep's wool and kick it around on the dirt. It's the most primitive game out there. Might as well put a chess board at midfield and have two guys playing chess.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Weems2k, and Carseller4
    Carseller4 nominated your post ... do i have to say anything else? SOCCER wins

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by ARoot55 View Post
    This has been an entertaining thread. I know everyone has been saying soccer will take off in the US in the next ten years forever, but I think it really has a chance now. Youth football numbers are going to continue to decline and kids in the US will likely continue their soccer careers longer as opposed to switching to middle or high school football. When high school players increase in the US more quality players will be produced. It'll be funny when more and more athletes from the US start dominating soccer and Europe will be left with second rate leagues in every sport but cricket and badminton.
    They need to invest money in the Soccer Acadamies

ARoot55
    ARoot55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    They need to invest money in the Soccer Acadamies
    They will. I think this head injury shit will have a trickle down effect everywhere. No point in investing in the academies if no one wants to attend them. People attend prep and charter schools for the four major sports with dreams of maybe playing pro here in the states to gain fame and money. I don't believe kids playing soccer right now have those dreams but when they have no choice from their parents of playing football and they're too small to play basketball many Americans may continue their soccer careers and reach new heights with the added amount of players/talent.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

We don't understand soccer

packerd_00

They will. I think this head injury shit will have a trickle down effect everywhere. No point in investing in the academies if no one wants to attend them. People attend prep and charter schools for the four major sports with dreams of maybe playing pro here in the states to gain fame and money. I don't believe kids playing soccer right now have those dreams but when they have no choice from their parents of playing football and they're too small to play basketball many Americans may continue their soccer careers and reach new heights with the added amount of players/talent.
    That's true,also gotta remember the best young players are coming overseas to play in the Academies for the English Clubs

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Klinsmann was deflecting from the Landon Donovan questions saying how he is happy to see everyone shitting on him because it shows how much more interested the USA is in its soccer. He pointed out that 6 years ago we didnt have any soccer channels not there are about 6 channels devoted to soccer.

The Hispanic population which favors soccer is up about 50% since 2000 according to this random website Google showed me. fun facts....If the Hispanic population is now over 53 million it's about 5x the population of Portugal, the team expected to kick our ass in the 2nd game of the World Cup.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    Klinsmann was deflecting from the Landon Donovan questions saying how he is happy to see everyone shitting on him because it shows how much more interested the USA is in its soccer. He pointed out that 6 years ago we didnt have any soccer channels not there are about 6 channels devoted to soccer.
    Did you hear about his idiot son bashing Donovan on Twitter.

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/e...than-klinsmann
    Last edited by Bill Dozer; 05-28-14 at 01:15 PM. Reason: combined post

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Did you hear about his idiot son bashing Donovan on Twitter.

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/e...than-klinsmann
    Yea, three thoughts on it. 1) What a dumbass. You are 18 and you don't know how the internet works? He tweets so he must have seen things take off before. You play for the u19 national team and they don't lecture you about character? 2) I feel bad for kids today. Everything they do is recorded. Everything has to be PC. I think how lucky I am having been able to be a kid and mess up all the time. 3) It's clear there was a rift between JK and LD... Some kind of internal headbutting. We'll probably hear all about it from the older guys and LD after the tourney. Right now he can still make it with an injury so he wont say shit. An old bench player will spill it in July.

WowK
    WowK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Soccer won't get hurt? LMAO
    Caveman. Have you ever travel outside of United States?

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    He pointed out that 6 years ago we didnt have any soccer channels not there are about 6 channels devoted to soccer.
    To be fair 6 years ago we didn't have a channel devoted to giant crab fishing or celebrity rehabbing, either.

Vegas_bond
    Vegas_bond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10099

Quote Originally Posted by allang198 View Post
    Every other country in the world love it!

Its the most wagered sport in the world!

It has the most fans in the world!

So why? Can yanks not concentrate that long without an ad break? Is it because it can end in a tie?

Not dissing anyone just find it unreal it never took off in a big way.

Imagine if it took off and the likes of Messi, Ronaldo etc... Came over to play in the states!

Soccer is too simple for the american mind.

The US loves sports that defy the body, AND the mind.

By the way, you remind me of some other poster here at SBR. You know what a ghost is?

Greetings.

First 1234 Last