UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

My Donald Sterling opinion- Now that things have cooled down

After a few weeks have passed I'd like to give my opinion on this case now that this thread wont get 300 replies about nonsense.

I'm a second generation Mexican-American who is happy to live in this country that offers us freedom (in some standpoints). I'm not African-American but my grandparents were subject to the type of stereotypical racism that blacks went through in the 50's and 60's. Every time I think of this story I cant help but think that if not for this huge social media/twitter era this wouldn't be a big deal. When I first heard of this I didn't even think it was a big deal and thought a couple people who raise an eyebrow but nothing more.

Sterling said absolutely nothing racist. He stated he'd rather his girlfriend not associate with certain people. It was clear as day and that's all it was. In order to be subject of racism you must be discriminated in some way. Did Donald Sterling walk into practice every morning and say " Hey niggers, why don't you play as hard as your white counterparts?", No. Does Sterling only employer whites? No. Does Sterling underpay his black athletes? No. Does he in away way shape or form discriminate against his African-American employees? No.

If I worked for an employer who publicly said he thinks Mexicans are the scum of the earth but he never treated me any differently from my other coworkers I wouldn't have any issue with the owners comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I may not agree with it, and it definitely does not belong in the NBA, but it sure isn't Sterling being a racist.

People are acting like Sterling is the second coming of Hitler. Clippers players are acting like this will have an impact on their want to play for the team next year if his family still owns the team. Why? how in any shape or form does Sterling being a racist affect your play or your employment with the team. The whole story is so overblown and I feel sorry for the guy.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: dfish

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 525

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    After a few weeks have passed I'd like to give my opinion on this case now that this thread wont get 300 replies about nonsense.

I'm a second generation Mexican-American who is happy to live in this country that offers us freedom (in some standpoints). I'm not African-American but my grandparents were subject to the type of stereotypical racism that blacks went through in the 50's and 60's. Every time I think of this story I cant help but think that if not for this huge social media/twitter era this wouldn't be a big deal. When I first heard of this I didn't even think it was a big deal and thought a couple people who raise an eyebrow but nothing more.

Sterling said absolutely nothing racist. He stated he'd rather his girlfriend not associate with certain people. It was clear as day and that's all it was. In order to be subject of racism you must be discriminated in some way. Did Donald Sterling walk into practice every morning and say " Hey niggers, why don't you play as hard as your white counterparts?", No. Does Sterling only employer whites? No. Does Sterling underpay his black athletes? No. Does he in away way shape or form discriminate against his African-American employees? No.

If I worked for an employer who publicly said he thinks Mexicans are the scum of the earth but he never treated me any differently from my other coworkers I wouldn't have any issue with the owners comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I may not agree with it, and it definitely does not belong in the NBA, but it sure isn't Sterling being a racist.

People are acting like Sterling is the second coming of Hitler. Clippers players are acting like this will have an impact on their want to play for the team next year if his family still owns the team. Why? how in any shape or form does Sterling being a racist affect your play or your employment with the team. The whole story is so overblown and I feel sorry for the guy.
    I agree, he was telling his GF to act more classy and show him respect as his GF.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Sterling is not racist

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

racism was never the main issue.

the tross
    Update your status
    the tross's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6226

I thought i heard him say that he didn't want her to fuk any of the guys she was hanging out with. Which i thought was reasonable.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

I want to give the guy every chance in the book, but he is racist. It doesn't get anymore racist than giving examples of how "blacks are lesser than whites".

“You go to Israel, the blacks are just treated like dogs… there’s white Jews and black Jews, do you understand?”

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It was way overblown and I am glad he slammed Magic Johnson and was 100% correct in his statement regarding him role model and AIDS

Magic had it coming to him

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It was way overblown and I am glad he slammed Magic Johnson and was 100% correct in his statement regarding him role model and AIDS

Magic had it coming to him
    I'd like to know where the hatred towards Magic comes from with some people. I don't get that.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Let the market decide. If guys didn't want to play for him then they would leave. If fans didn't want to come then they would leave. If all of this happened he would be forced to sell by the economics of it. He has the right to be ignorant or smart if he wants. Look at the faux outrage over something like this which affects the country absolutely zero and yet when the powers in Washington lie and say "you can keep your plan" and further enslave all of us, barely a peep calling for that head to roll. Damn, get some perspective people.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheCentaur

jjgold

I like magic I don't like when he slam sterling he went overboard

Trying to steal the team from them

So he was open game to criticism

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    I want to give the guy every chance in the book, but he is racist. It doesn't get anymore racist than giving examples of how "blacks are lesser than whites".

I suggest you go back to middleschool and open some textbooks. lol honestly, thank you for the laugh this morning, going to be chuckling about that as I workout. "doesn't get any more racist than giving examples.." lol

Pick up a dictionary while you're at it and learn the difference between prejudiced and racist so you know what you're talking about.

JoeVig
    JoeVig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    I suggest you go back to middleschool and open some textbooks. lol honestly, thank you for the laugh this morning, going to be chuckling about that as I workout. "doesn't get any more racist than giving examples.." lol

Pick up a dictionary while you're at it and learn the difference between prejudiced and racist so you know what you're talking about.
    You may be too smart to post here!

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post

I picked one up and here's what it says......

Racist:1.
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

You're telling me his example of what goes on in Israel is not trying to drive home HIS BELIEF that "The whites are superior to the blacks"???

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

I don't know why anyone wants to defend what he said as not racist.

Blown out of proportion for sure, but saying not to bring black people to the game and it's embarrassing when his friends see her associating with blacks is not racist is just being in denial. Or refusing to accept what racism is.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Bluehorseshoe, and ParlayininHTown

jjgold

All races are lesser than others in different categories

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Donald Sterling is a realist. Not a racist.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd like to know where the hatred towards Magic comes from with some people. I don't get that.

He worked this whole thing. Maybe that flakey whore will give him up sooner or later.

Also, he seems to look for any and all opportunities to chime in on how bad the Lakers, organization and coaching esp, has been and all that's wrong. He couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Also, I GUARANTEE YOU he hated Larry Bird FAR MORE than any venom this old man has against blacks. Thank God a commercial opportunity came to bring those two together and now they are all nice and chummy.

Also, he was still fukin any woman at his choosing even when he knew he had AIDS. Prolly including his wife.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Solid post. I find it ironic that, given this guy's history of saying and doing deplorable things, this little blip on the radar is what's crumbling his NBA empire. For all of the moral and social outrage, I figured the tape was going to blow me away when I heard it. Instead it was just some old kook saying shit that is as predictable as it gets. Typical NBA, with its fake moral overreaction and outrage -- from the front office all the way down through the players.

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    He worked this whole thing. Maybe that flakey whore will give him up sooner or later..
    I do think this is possible. Anderson Cooper better ask him the right questions tonight.

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think the debate should be about Sterling being racist because he clearly is. The point is he never discriminated against other races whether it be players or fans of the NBA. A shitstorm blown out of nothing.

A side note, Magic Johnson is becoming more and more of a pussy. Adam Silver apologizing for Sterling's remarks on CNN? Is this a joke?

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I picked one up and here's what it says......

Racist:1.
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

You're telling me his example of what goes on in Israel is not trying to drive home HIS BELIEF that "The whites are superior to the blacks"???
    So we going to play the quote game of a guy who was clearly being baited by someone to prove racism? alright then

What about this quote, funny how not single media outlet singled this line out.

"I have no problems with minorities... they're fabulous"

And since we're looking at quotes, notice how he never once said I don't want black people at my games, he said he didn't want his whore to bring them with her yet every media outlet repeatedly worded it as if he said the former.
    Last edited by brooks85; 05-13-14 at 09:31 AM.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

i never really liked the guy, but i know david stern would have handled this much better, it disgusts me that adam silver was getting "two thumbs up" for his stance on this. however, in that interview last night, its clear to me that sterling has lost his marbles completely. the best part was when he asked anderson cooper who is gay if he was ever jealous over another guy about a girl. guy clearly does not a give penetrate anymore, why would he not research the man interviewing him?

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Modern day witch hunt.

jjgold

Sterling gaining lots of support around the USA

He even said most players support him on the team and will not walk away from the money

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

At any rate, I'm glad he's fighting this.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Clippers were already being told from sponsors they wouldn't renew. Some of these sponsors (State Farm) don't just sponsor the Clips.

The NBA isn't about altruism and righting social wrongs. If it were, they'd be more focused on supporting d-league players and their families as one example.

It was a decision to stem off a league wide exodus of advertisers, and a possible players revolt.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ParlayininHTown

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    Clippers were already being told from sponsors they wouldn't renew. Some of these sponsors (State Farm) don't just sponsor the Clips.

The NBA isn't about altruism and righting social wrongs. If it were, they'd be more focused on supporting d-league players and their families as one example.

It was a decision to stem off a league wide exodus of advertisers, and a possible players revolt.
    Players revolt

That would be the first time they turned down money.

Please cite sources that that there was to be a "wide exodus of advertisers."

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/biz-beat/...nd-clippers-s/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...sors-drop-team

Only took 15 seconds to find these. Not going to get into this shit with you guys because I couldn't care less who owns the Clippers.

Perhaps you wouldn't call this a "wide exodus," but you have to admit those are some large companies.

muldoon

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Players revolt

Please cite sources that that there was to be a "wide exodus of advertisers."
    State Farm is a national company, Car Max is a national company. KIA and Virgin as well.

In my opinion, if the league hadn't acted so harshly and quickly against Sterling, I'm quite sure the uproar from the usual suspects (Sharpton et al) would have brought about pressure to drop all league sponsorship (whether it be national, or on a market by market basis).

As far as players revolt goes, we won't know now (unless somehow he gets the team back), but a revolt can take many forms (from outright boycotting of league events, to subtle tanking of games...finals...game 4...2011)

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

"JUST EVICT THE BITCH." It was 2002, and Donald Sterling was talking to Sumner Davenport, one of his four top property supervisors, about a tenant at the Ardmore Apartments. Already the largest landowner in Beverly Hills, Sterling had recently acquired the Ardmore as part of his move to extend his real estate empire eastward toward Koreatown and downtown LA. As he did, Sterling "wanted tenants that fit his image," according to testimony Davenport gave in a discrimination lawsuit brought against Sterling in 2003 by 19 tenants and the nonprofit Housing Rights Center.

Cultivating his image, Davenport said, meant no blacks, no Mexican-Americans, no children (whom Sterling called "brats") and no government-housing-subsidy recipients as tenants. So according to the testimony of tenants, Sterling employees made life difficult for residents in some of his new buildings. They refused rent checks, then accused renters of nonpayment. They refused to do repairs for black tenants and harassed them with surprise inspections, threatening residents with eviction for alleged violations of building rules.

When Sterling first bought the Ardmore, he remarked on its odor to Davenport. "That's because of all the blacks in this building, they smell, they're not clean," he said, according to Davenport's testimony. "And it's because of all of the Mexicans that just sit around and smoke and drink all day." He added: "So we have to get them out of here." Shortly after, construction work caused a serious leak at the complex. When Davenport surveyed the damage, she found an elderly woman, Kandynce Jones, wading through several inches of water in Apartment 121. Jones was paralyzed on the right side and legally blind. She took medication for high blood pressure and to thin a clot in her leg. Still, she was remarkably cheerful, showing Davenport pictures of her children, even as some of her belongings floated around her.

Davenport reported what she saw to Sterling, and according to her testimony, he asked: "Is she one of those black people that stink?" When Davenport told Sterling that Jones wanted to be reimbursed for the water damage and compensated for her ruined property, he replied: "I am not going to do that. Just evict the bitch."

Repairs never came. The shower stopped working, and the toilet wouldn't flush; Jones needed to use a plunger and disposed of waste tissue in bags. Kandynce Jones departed the home she loved but that caused her so much grief when she passed away, on July 21, 2003, at age 67.

yeah, doesnt sound like a racist..... and hitler loved jews.

muldoon

Players revolt

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    i never really liked the guy, but i know david stern would have handled this much better, it disgusts me that adam silver was getting "two thumbs up" for his stance on this. however, in that interview last night, its clear to me that sterling has lost his marbles completely. the best part was when he asked anderson cooper who is gay if he was ever jealous over another guy about a girl. guy clearly does not a give penetrate anymore, why would he not research the man interviewing him?

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

remember what happened last time they tried to strike. 3 weeks after the checks stopped coming they folded up like a lawn chair.

opie1988

Talks cheap. 90% of those clowns would be broke after missing one check.

Good luck with that strike.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

muldoon

Talks cheap. 90% of those clowns would be broke after missing one check.

Good luck with that strike.
    They can't all be 2011 poster of the year.

12 Last