texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

haven't seen anyone talking about the show horseplayers

i've seen a few episodes of this show and it's pretty awesome. plan on watching more in the near future. the shit will make you want to bet horses too. i almost made some derby plays yesterday but slapped myself back into reality. it's got a good balance of old and new school guys. there's probably a bunch of misinformation in it just like in money talks, but it's still entertaining.

it's on esquire, and i don't know what kind of reach that channel has nationally. but you should check for it. we all like anything that has anything to do with gambling.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

that Christian Hellmers guy is a quack

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    that Christian Hellmers guy is a quack
    the guy with the glasses? he's been kicking ass in what i've seen! he seems like the complete douche of the show though.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

I literally know nothing about horse racing but I like the show. Maybe it'll get me down to the portland meadows and bet a few races sometime

eidolon
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    the guy with the glasses? he's been kicking ass in what i've seen! he seems like the complete douche of the show though.
    just watched the 1st episode. It was the guy that was drinking special teas, and burning sage

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    just watched the 1st episode. It was the guy that was drinking special teas, and burning sage
    same guy...he will wear these weird goofy glasses from time to time.

bostonboss
    bostonboss's Avatar Become A Pro!

once you become a horse bettor it consumes you....I spend 3-4 hrs a day handicapping cards....watching replays..you must accept bad beats and study to be successful..but a lot of fun.

lexxa
    Update your status
    lexxa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3673

Better show than Money Talks for sure.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: eidolon

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Good show, and Christian Hellmers is a flake.

jt315
    jt315's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13772

Helmers won another 269k in the Orleans tournament in Vegas in March.

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9724

its not a real show, those guys are fake.

Slimpickens
    Slimpickens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6151

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    its not a real show, those guys are fake.

No they arent fake. Season 1 has been over for awhile now. Dont know if there will be a season 2.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I love betting and watching racing so you would think I'd like the show. I turned it off after 5 minutes because whatever I watched seemed scripted. It was a guy and girl talking and it seemed rehearsed. I turned it off after that.

harthebar

my buddy goes to belmont all over new york tracks, and he has looked for that guy, never saw him
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimpickens View Post
    No they arent fake. Season 1 has been over for awhile now. Dont know if there will be a season 2.

Slimpickens

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    my buddy goes to belmont all over new york tracks, and he has looked for that guy, never saw him

Who is "that guy" that you are refering too? You do realize Belmont is a big place right?

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

bogus handicap contest tv show

the show started out with a halfway decent idea and promise. but quickly faded into a longshort stabbing contest like most handicapping contests are. the old guy with the magnifyling glass who actually won one in 2009 couldn't handicap his way out of a paper bag. i would take him on any day one on one. hellmers is legit despite his odd approach albeit meditation and the like. those clowns from ny/nj are totally inept. if they don't hit something early they just stab at longshots to get back in contention. nothing wrong with that but anyone could do the same any day or time. show somewhat scripted to show them in a good light but they like most don't have a clue. hope it gets cancelled after one season. they show the races like it's a marx bros. movie. not realistic at all, as the horses seem to keep running forever and no one shows 5 positions as the race unfolds. totally inept camera coverage of that. i could produce a better tv show on handicapping contests and i have absolutely no idea on how to do it, but i know i could do better. meant to say longshot handicapping contest and the old idiot who uses a magnifying glass who couldn't handicap a race if his life depended on it. they had a good idea but had no directors, producers, actors, or script writers that knew anything about horse racing.
    Last edited by unusialsusp5; 05-05-14 at 09:34 PM. Reason: a couple of misspellings

eidolon
    USA

Are all of these guys betters for a group of ppl?
    Like hedge funding?

jjgold

Anyone betting horses is flat broke and on the welfare lines

Go to the race track and See all losers there

That show like other reality type shows is fabricated

Every guy looks like a model etc.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9488

How about a format like this for a reality show. Two contestants over the course
    of an entire meet (Belmont spring, Saratoga) get to make a 1K,2K and 5K bet (half
    win, half place).. over the course of a weekend so they have more choices. Whoever
    has the larger bankroll at the end wins 50K plus keep any profit that was earned. If
    the loser was profitable he gets to keep it also. If both lose money higher bank wins 25K.
    Maybe hypothetical bets for a bigger prize would work bettor lol

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

hard to get excited about a group of contestants that are affluent and can afford to fly to gulfstream, keeneland, santa anita, saratoga, churchill, etc. and casually put up thousands to get into one of these qualifying tournaments to eventually get to the world series in january. need to make it more realistic. fact is that it is nothing more than a longshot stabbing contest with very little handicapping involved. the way they showed the contestants yelling and screaming as the races were being run was ludicrous. hellmers didn't, but the rotondo's and some others seemed to be over rooting their plays for the cameras. need to make it more current with more insight into selections. difficult to make it interesting to attract an audience that cares about these guys. they know nothing like most horseplayers and anyone with money could do what they are attempting to do. too much luck involved in the whole thing.

Slimpickens

It is what it is. Odviously it could have been produced better. I didnt like that the shows were always constructed around contests/tournaments.

eidolon
    USA

When betting the horses, always bet on the ones that take shits right before the race

dise-pa
    dise-pa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4269

wow any one here ever get involved in a big handicapping contest? who got 6k to throw away if so, then get involved

homervdoh
    homervdoh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Love the show. At first I was annoyed by everyone but bernier but then they all grew on me. Sometimes gotta mute the tv when a rotundo horse gets the lead down the stretch. Obviously the show is somewhat fake. The main thing I never got is how bernier couldnt afford to enter a couple tourneys. Its like really Esquire is gonna fly you all over but cant pay your buy in? Still never missed an episode though. Really wish in season 2 one would start bringing a degen buddy who bets all the 2-5s and shuns their advice, beychok could use a sidekick

jjgold

It's entertaining but that's all most of it's fake

Fake sells reality does not

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

I never heard of this show, just saw the YouTube promo posted above, but it's difficult to watch players during a race have their curses bleeped out.

harthebar

lol, i said the exact same thing on this forum, its staged, my friend goes to nyra all the time, he never saw that guy or crews, that play on the show, your right about fake and reality,
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It's entertaining but that's all most of it's fake

Fake sells reality does not

harthebar

because its like any good movie, you need 4 things to make, i cant remember what they are, the girl, ...bernier .....is the poor guy, who dresses in 500 suits, then you got the flake the guru......from hollywood, the old man and the sea, the cowboy, come on, 5 different people.........nect time you go to the track, look around and find 5 characters like that.......i like the jockeys better, and the one with ...i cant remember the name ,was dustin hoffman on it ? and the ex cop from chic. who died recently.....
    Quote Originally Posted by homervdoh View Post
    Love the show. At first I was annoyed by everyone but bernier but then they all grew on me. Sometimes gotta mute the tv when a rotundo horse gets the lead down the stretch. Obviously the show is somewhat fake. The main thing I never got is how bernier couldnt afford to enter a couple tourneys. Its like really Esquire is gonna fly you all over but cant pay your buy in? Still never missed an episode though. Really wish in season 2 one would start bringing a degen buddy who bets all the 2-5s and shuns their advice, beychok could use a sidekick