shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

This guy needs to be giving talks to rookies

Instead Of Going Broke Like Most Retired NBA Players, Junior Bridgeman Built A $400 Million Fast Food Empire

Pop quiz #1: In 1975, which newly drafted player did the Lakers trade away to acquire superstar Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? If you guessed Junior Bridgeman, you are correct.

Pop quiz #2: As of April 2014, who is the second largest owner of Wendy's franchises in America? Once again, the correct answer is… Junior Bridgeman. As an NBA player, Junior Bridgeman had a moderately successful 12-year career playing for the Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Clippers. To be completely honest, his NBA career was kind of unremarkable. And as you may know, retirement can be a very painful experience for many NBA players. According to a study conducted by Sports Illustrated, a staggering 60% of NBA players are completely broke within five years of retiring. Junior Bridgeman did not go down this route.

In his 12-year NBA career (10 with Milwaukee, two with the Clippers), Bridgeman was mostly a sixth man. For nine consecutive seasons he averaged double figures in scoring. He holds the Milwaukee franchise record for number of games played at 711, though he only started in 105 of those games.

Bridgeman was a good basketball player, solid and steady. His professional career lasted from 1975 to 1987, in the era just before players were paid crazy amounts of money. Players like Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson made the bulk of their money from endorsement deals, but still made a lot of money in the NBA – close to $100 million for Jordan. Bridgeman never saw anywhere close to that kind of money during his NBA days. His peak salary was $350,000 from the Clippers in 1985.

Unlike most athletes, Junior was quick to realize that his window of time in the NBA would be relatively short. At some point the paychecks would stop coming in and he would need to find a new source of steady income. So, on a whim, Junior decided to purchase a franchise of his favorite fast food restaurant: Wendy's. While other NBA players hung out during the off season doing God knows what, Bridgeman was working in local Wendy's—learning his burgeoning business from every angle and building a foundation for the rest of his and his family's lives. By the time his playing days were over, Junior owned three Wendy's.

Over the next few years, Junior slowly expanded Bridgeman Foods INC. Three locations grew to six. Six grew to ten. Ten grew to twenty and so on. Business boomed thanks largely to Junior's highly dedicated work ethic. Instead of sitting back and collecting checks from a beach in the Bahamas, Junior was frequently seen behind the counters working at his own restaurants.

Here's an amazing anecdote: One day, a customer recognized Junior in his Wendy's uniform making french fries. The customer was shocked and immediately called into a local sports talk radio show to say how sad it was to see a formerly great NBA player down on his luck, forced to work in fast food asking people "do you want fries with that?"

After nearly 25 years in business, Bridgeman Foods INC operates more than 160 Wendy's and more than 120 Chili's franchises in America today. Bridgeman employs over 11,000 people and has annual revenues in excess of $530 million dollars. Possibly looking to follow Junior's lead, current NBA player Chauncey Billups recently invested money into some Wendy's franchises. Junior is the second largest Wendy's franchise owner in the world and frequently listed as one of the most admired business leaders in America. His personal net worth today tops $400 million. That's just $250 million shy of Michael Jordan. That's also $380 million MORE than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's current net worth of $20 million.

When not running his fast food empire, Junior Bridgeman likes to play golf and, in fact, is on the board of directors of the PGA. He has been married to his wife Doris for more than 35 years. The couple has three adult children who all have MBAs and work in the family business. Junior Bridgeman is a private man who has built a heck of a fortune, family, and life. He recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity. Thanks to a lot of hard work, that opportunity made him an extremely wealthy and admired man.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...t-food-empire/
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: bigtymer56

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

If you guessed Junior Bridgeman, you are correct!
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave sourtwist 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They will not listen most of these ghetto guys are the dumbest motherfukkers you'll ever meet and have an eighth-grade IQ

I thought I read that 75% of NBA players are broke by 30 years old
    Last edited by shari91; 04-11-14 at 06:00 AM.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Never heard of this junior cat? He apparently had no game. Lucky he knew a little bit about business.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Never heard of this junior cat? He apparently had no game. Lucky he knew a little bit about business.
    He wasn't a superstar by any means but as the article said he was a sixth man who had 9 years in a row of dd scoring average and a 12 year career so he wasn't a dud. I knew who he was but I was also way more into the NBA as a kid than I am today. Plus whenever someone would talk about Kareem's career with the Lakers his name would often come up so maybe that's why I remembered.
    Points Awarded:

sourtwist gave shari91 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jjgold

One guy will always get lucky from time to time it's the law of averages

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

Shari dont send me any more flowers, I will burn them

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Fabulous story.

Nice to see a success like this.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68545

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

I wish I had had that much "no game".

A 6'5" guard/forward from the University of Louisville, Bridgeman was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers in 1975 and immediately traded with Brian Winters, David Meyers and Elmore Smith to the Milwaukee Bucks for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Bridgeman went on to have a solid 12-year NBA career, spent mostly with the Bucks, and he scored 11,517 total points. Although he was a sixth man for most of his career, he averaged double figures in scoring for nine consecutive seasons. He played in 711 games for the Bucks, still the most in franchise history, although he started only 105 times. His #2 jersey was retired by the Bucks franchise in 1988.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26823

this was obviously a very humble hard working man and it paid off for him. these young kids should listen to him but they wont

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

aint no shame in his game

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Wendys food is bad for you.

Saloon this shit.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

what an uncle tom this guys is

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Read about this online on the Detroit Free Press website, but the story took the Billups angle. Basically, because Billups knows retirement is fast approaching, he's already looking to learn the restaurant management business. He reached out to Junior, who was more than happy to show him the ropes so Billups doesn't wind up like so many other sad stories from the past.

Not only has Junior worked his butt off to put himself in a great position in life after basketball, he isn't afraid to show other players what it takes to have success when your playing days are finished.

Seems like a decent guy in my book. Wouldn't be surprised if he's talked to other players about life after the NBA in the past.

There are just too many guys out there who don't know what to do and don't make plans ahead of time. I guess it's hard for some to adjust and accept that they have to live a more normal life from the mid-30s until death. I've never been in their shoes, but I imagine knowing you can't do the one job you've done all your life would weigh on you -- particularly if you're not prepared for life after basketball.

jjgold

These guys are so dumb it doesn't matter if they get coached you talking about players on an eighth-grade education level