Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33516

SBR virus?

This is the second time this has happened to me.

I usually use firefox with a pop-up blocker, but since store items are not viewable with firefox I logged onto SBR in IE and when I got onto the forum a bunch of random stuff started downloading to my computer. Norton anti-virus doesn't put up a warning, but I don't know what other than a worm or virus would cause this to happen.

A couple years back an ad on SBR poker was putting a viruses on peoples's computers, and it looks like the same thing is happening again.

Please look into this SBR, and I recommend forum users log in using a browser other than IE.

Taint
    Taint's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

You have any apple products? Use them when u go to the store

BigDaddy
    BigDaddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 729

bbd might be onto to something

IE who uses that anymore?

SBR Forum
    SBR Forum's Avatar Administrator
    Betpoints: 993413

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your post. There is no harmful code or "viruses" of any kind on SBR, but the behavior of your browser combined with the integration of your particular antivirus application might lead you to think there is something harmful on SBR. For example if you browse a streaming website, you might notice pesky ads or alerts (sometimes false positives) triggered due to the type of the content hosted on the site.

It sounds like you have adblock on Firefox causing you to be unable to view SBR Store inventory. The items are actually loaded as an ad. Internet Explorer is more prone to security issues in general and less user friendly. We're happy to take a look at screenshots you might have to better suggest a course of action to appropriately clean your PC to eliminate prompts from browsing SBR.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Name:  No V.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  89.6 KB

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Smoke caused it

He's a walking cesspool of viruses

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Smoke caused it

He's a walking cesspool of viruses

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Isn't the first time we've seen this. Are you getting pop ups and little blue key words on the pages you visit?

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Maybe IE was just updating some stuff particular to it after a long period of disuse?

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Forum View Post
    Hello Ian,

Thank you for your post. There is no harmful code or "viruses" of any kind on SBR, but the behavior of your browser combined with the integration of your particular antivirus application might lead you to think there is something harmful on SBR. For example if you browse a streaming website, you might notice pesky ads or alerts (sometimes false positives) triggered due to the type of the content hosted on the site.

It sounds like you have adblock on Firefox causing you to be unable to view SBR Store inventory. The items are actually loaded as an ad. Internet Explorer is more prone to security issues in general and less user friendly. We're happy to take a look at screenshots you might have to better suggest a course of action to appropriately clean your PC to eliminate prompts from browsing SBR.
    I think you are misunderstanding my post. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Logging onto SBR forum in IE (without a pop-up blocker) caused/causes a group of programs to start automatically downloading with no prompting whatsoever. MS Word was one of them. I was too busy clicking to stop the downloads to notice what the others were. This is the second time this has happened to me on SBR in the last few days. This has not happened on the only other site I use IE for.

These were categorically not "pesky ads or alerts." The only time I have encountered this sort of behavior on my computer before was years ago when I visited a site that put a worm on my computer that my anti-virus didn't catch. The problem is also almost certainly not originating from my end because I ran a malwarebytes scan overnight and my computer came up clean.

I am not going to walk into a virus or worm just to get a screenshot of stuff downloading to my computer, but the chances that an ad on your site contains malicious code is very high.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    Maybe IE was just updating some stuff particular to it after a long period of disuse?
    No, I use IE almost daily for one and only one site and have never had any problems. I have logged onto the SBR in IE 3 times in the last week or so to look at store items, and two of those times the cascade of downloads started.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

well it is clear sbr put a virus for you to not visit the store

so stay the fukk out of there pal and you will have no problems

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Thats strange

Never a fan of IE

What types of programs?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

jjer very sharp with computers

jjer where did you gain all this knowledge geuye

SBR Forum
    SBR Forum's Avatar Administrator
    Betpoints: 993413

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I am not going to walk into a virus or worm just to get a screenshot of stuff downloading to my computer, but the chances that an ad on your site contains malicious code is very high.
    Hi Ian,

We're sorry that you had issues using Internet Explorer; many of our users use IE without incident, but without a screenshot to pinpoint what you encountered, we're not able to troubleshoot with you on what you're seeing on your end. We can confirm there is no malicious code on SBR servers.

jjgold

59,000 users per day

No reported viruses

Something on users end

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This is the second time this has happened to me.

I usually use firefox with a pop-up blocker, but since store items are not viewable with firefox I logged onto SBR in IE and when I got onto the forum a bunch of random stuff started downloading to my computer. Norton anti-virus doesn't put up a warning, but I don't know what other than a worm or virus would cause this to happen.

A couple years back an ad on SBR poker was putting a viruses on peoples's computers, and it looks like the same thing is happening again.

Please look into this SBR, and I recommend forum users log in using a browser other than IE.
    I'd try a System Restore to a point before the infection. That should at least put your registry back to normal and put back any system files which may have been deleted. At a minimum, you won't be any worse off than when you started.If it works and things get back to normal, purge the restore by turning it off and then rebooting and turning it back on again. Windows will have made backups of the nasty and its reg entries in there, so you'll want to get rid of them.

If the system restore doesn't fix your problem, try disabling all the add-ons in your browser, restart the browser and see how this site behaves with those settings.

If that doesn't help, restore your browser to the original settings...and see how it goes.

I'm pretty sure, that one of these solutions or all would fix the problem.

good luck.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Rocker = Sbr CTO

unrael

jjgold

It's on user end

Sbr has no viruses men