Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Does anyone here actually make money during the March Madness field of 64 tourny????

I'm always excited to bet this tournament but so far i've never actually made money betting it.

Whats the most amount of units you have won during this mens college basketball tournament?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would think so only because less games and non conference play and of course neutral courts.

All favored to have a better chance to win

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Honestly bear....I don't think I've ever gone an NCAA Tournament without making money by the end. There are several low to mid major program I keep my eyes on all year, and look for good matchups when the field comes out. Teams like Green Bay, Harvard and George Washington will be tough outs in March. Also, keep fade material teams in the back of your head all year. Clemson, Georgetown and Illinois are a few teams that come immediately to mind.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

some do.. for me the fun really ends at the end of the conf tourneys..once the madness begins i cut my units in half and just hope to tread water till nba playoffs.. been some years ive done well but my percentage drops a lot closer to 50/50 during the tourney, what i tend to do well with is futures to win regions..
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I would think so only because less games and non conference play and of course neutral courts.

All favored to have a better chance to win
    this seems so backwords, less games makes it harder to find soft lines, not to mention books have way more incentive to get it right when the tourney only time they get tons of mainstream action.. also you gotta factor in teams playing in unfamiliar gyms..

Husker36
    Husker36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

The tournament is my biggest money maker every year. Lines are EXTREMELY soft first round. Huge betting weekend for Vegas and I feel like lines are for public more than ever.

Husker36
    Husker36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    this seems so backwords, less games makes it harder to find soft lines, not to mention books have way more incentive to get it right when the tourney only time they get tons of mainstream action.. also you gotta factor in teams playing in unfamiliar gyms..
    Think of it this way...... a large % of the bets coming in are from people that didn't bet basketball all season long. So the lines don't necessarily have to be sharp. They just have to be at that magical 50/50 mark.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Husker36 View Post
    The tournament is my biggest money maker every year. Lines are EXTREMELY soft first round. Huge betting weekend for Vegas and I feel like lines are for public more than ever.
    it crazy how opposite i am than most.. a few years i tracked my tourney and i mean i was around 55% ish the once or twice i tracked but it was lower than jan thru the conf tourneys.. conf tourneys are generally where i turn some decent profit, so many dog winners!

tried to warn you on that sd/den gm bro.. crazy the way chargers play, even down 17-0 they were playing 2 yards and a cloud of dust, they a tough team to cover a number against..i think you will get it back if you stick with donks this week vs pats..

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Conf tourney much more profitable
    Points Awarded:

darkhat gave Louisvillekid1 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Regul8er
    Wordd

I agree with you LKid........I just hate that there are SOOO MANY GAMES going at the same time! It's hard to really cap just a sliver of them.

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

made good money last yr thanks to lkid1 futures the way to go betting 3/4 teams who you think could win it .

also there so many games to bet during the tourney you have to pick your spots, remember 2yrs i was in vegas watching some guy have thousands on duke to bt leigh high ml just to nick a grand he went home very upset.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3585

I like betting the futures,made abit.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

The thing about NCAA tourney opening weekend is as a pure gambler, it's the most exciting to bet. Some will bet the card just for the action knowing they prob gonna be buried.

Im getting excited thinking about it, only squares work those days, that's my vacation every year and I don't leave the house. I work in the mornings if necessary but that's about it.
    Points Awarded:

darkhat gave Louisvillekid1 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

blackeyeshamus
    swampdog stomp!
    blackeyeshamus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2224

#truth

PorkChop
    PorkChop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Made 10g's from start of tourney to elite 8; then gave every penny of it back by final four.

Regul8er
    Wordd

The thing about NCAA tourney opening weekend is as a pure gambler, it's the most exciting to bet. Some will bet the card just for the action knowing they prob gonna be buried.

Im getting excited thinking about it, only squares work those days, that's my vacation every year and I don't leave the house. I work in the mornings if necessary but that's about it.
    Knowing my boss takes vacation then, I just get comfortable in my corner office, and watch all the games online, get paid and save my vacation.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

FoxNews is usually on in my office.

Not during March Madness however.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

yeah i guess i get more excited about that opening round than i do the super bowl..

i just love how so many games are taking place at the same time

RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5251

Hey Bear - college hoops is my forte.
    I haven't been able to watch much the last 3 years with a 3-year old son, but I follow the Missouri Valley closely (for 20+ years now) and the B-10 is my 2nd conference I keep an eye on.

I generally come in the Top 3 or 4 in pools with between 15-20 people.

My downfall has always been Duke - they screw me by winning it all when I have them only going to the Elite 8, or they lose in the final 4 or Elite 8 when I pick them to go all the way.

Right now I am keeping an eye on a couple new ACC teams to win the title: Syracuse and Pitt.

Right now, if you take Pitt to win it all, it's +6600.
    I may place a bet on them in a week or so and then start hedging bets starting at the Sweet 16 (provided they make it there) for the opposing team to cover the spread (small bets - gradually larger the farther they go so that I should make a profit if they make it to the Final 4).
    Syracuse is always a threat to win it all and they are ranked #2 for a reason. I see them as a Final 4 team, so I may place a future bet on them to win it all and then hedge if they make it to the Final 4.

As for individual games, I love picking dogs to cover the spread - this is the way I've made $$ last season. I may do some 2-team ML parlays for teams favored between 4 and 6 points.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10564

Fade Obama's picks.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Everyone will tell you about how much bank they make on March Madness, but in reality most are busted before 2nd weekend.

Its the same buildup around here in the summer months before football too.

Limit yourself to < 10 plays per round and < 10% BR.

I'm not into NCAABB much anymore. Just do 1 bracket and root for those teams.

RollinDo

Quote Originally Posted by RubberKettle View Post
    Everyone will tell you about how much bank they make on March Madness, but in reality most are busted before 2nd weekend.
    You're right Rub - most people lose out on March Madness. But you can bank on some dogs starting in the 3rd round - Sweet 16 if you know the teams pretty well.
    I followed Wichita State closely since they're in the MVC (the conference I follow most), so I did well tailing them down to the Final 4.
    They're a #5 team and I see them possibly going undefeated until the tournament, but I don't see them making a Final 4 run again...not that it can't happen, but their inside game is lacking from last season - Carl Hall was a beast that they don't have.

Regul8er
    Wordd

College Hoops is the only sport I've been profitable on over a 6 year period. March is where I generally reap the benefits of my work throughout the course of the year. Lost long-term in everything else.

RollinDo

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    College Hoops is the only sport I've been profitable on over a 6 year period. March is where I generally reap the benefits of my work throughout the course of the year. Lost long-term in everything else.
    I've been betting on individual games and futures for the past year only.

So far college hoops has been good to me = biggest profit in March Madness and in ML Parlays
    NFL = small profit
    Hockey = even
    NCAA football = loss
    NBA = big losses

Which makes me question why I still bet on it!!! I'll keep rolling with the Unders though, as I'm 7-1.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3585

I enjoy doing The Pickem Brackets aswell,I just do them for fun.

chalk46
    chalk46's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1023

I'm usually watching them from the Hyatt bar in Lex with a steady dose of state tourny games. I made a killing off of them last year.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by RollinDo View Post
    Hey Bear - college hoops is my forte.
    I haven't been able to watch much the last 3 years with a 3-year old son, but I follow the Missouri Valley closely (for 20+ years now) and the B-10 is my 2nd conference I keep an eye on.

I generally come in the Top 3 or 4 in pools with between 15-20 people.

My downfall has always been Duke - they screw me by winning it all when I have them only going to the Elite 8, or they lose in the final 4 or Elite 8 when I pick them to go all the way.

Right now I am keeping an eye on a couple new ACC teams to win the title: Syracuse and Pitt.

Right now, if you take Pitt to win it all, it's +6600.
    I may place a bet on them in a week or so and then start hedging bets starting at the Sweet 16 (provided they make it there) for the opposing team to cover the spread (small bets - gradually larger the farther they go so that I should make a profit if they make it to the Final 4).
    Syracuse is always a threat to win it all and they are ranked #2 for a reason. I see them as a Final 4 team, so I may place a future bet on them to win it all and then hedge if they make it to the Final 4.

As for individual games, I love picking dogs to cover the spread - this is the way I've made $$ last season. I may do some 2-team ML parlays for teams favored between 4 and 6 points.
    lookin forward to your plays. good luck

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

bear follow me in hockey pal ..

basketball comes second when it comes to making money

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    bear follow me in hockey pal ..

basketball comes second when it comes to making money
    u got a link to your hockey thread?

You mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    u got a link to your hockey thread?
    if i post plays its in rockets thread .. normally don't post until game time

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

if i post plays its in rockets thread .. normally don't post until game time
    game time or like 5 minutes prior?

You mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    game time or like 5 minutes prior?
    5 min prior .. normally i check into that thread and just bitch about a bet I'm losing lol

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

5 min prior .. normally i check into that thread and just bitch about a bet I'm losing lol

true

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

nice so i guess i better have my account pulled up ready to pull the trigger before entering the thread...

only thing that sucks is a lot times 5dimes freezes up right before games start sometimes b/c of the shear volume of bets being placed

12 Last