VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Texas Going w/ Mora?

If so, I love it. I think Mora is one hell of a coach and has done an admirable job everywhere he's been.

Smart move by Texas (if they pull the trigger)

BB_Mariners
    BB_Mariners's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

I would be very surprised since Mora didnt take the offer from UW and signed new contract with UCLA several weeks ago, but hey if they offer him big $$$ why not.

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Mora would be good....Briles would be better.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

OK...I'm gonna ask...What the Hell has Jim Mora Jr done in coaching? Seriously? He was 31-33 in the NFL.lost in the NFC title game..19-8 in College....1-1 in Bowls which were the Holiday and Sun...nothing stellar...no Pac 12 titles etc. So exactly what is the huge attraction that Texas sees in him? What do you guys see in him?

VegasInsider
    Update your status

I think the NFL could go either way. He was good and bad. In college though, he took a UCLA program that wasn't really that great and did a little recruiting and stole some players away from USC and did pretty decent.

Here's my thinking:

Texas is looking at what he did in a conference that he had NO SHOT of competing on the big stage. Kids from SoCal are going to USC, hands down. Kids from NoCal are going to Stanford if they're smart and going to Oregon if they're fast. I think Mora landed some pretty good talent in Westwood and got the most out of his team this season. Considering all of the top tier coaches are staying put, he might be the best option. If Texas doesn't act fast, one of the better college coaches that don't have long term deals might be jumping to the NFL or heading elsewhere. I think it's a quality hire for UT. It might take a couple years for him to really recruit, but if they stick with him, I bet they'll be successful

Dirty Sanchez

The Problem any coach will have in Austin is...Longhorn fans aren't going to be patient if they get smacked around by Baylor, OU, and Okla St in the interim. I agree with you, if he's given the time he'd definitely be able to put a program together. But, just like Bill O'Brien at Penn State, I believe that Mora's true intentions are back in the NFL and that college is just a stepping stone until he gets another shot

VegasInsider
    Update your status

I believe that Mora's true intentions are back in the NFL and that college is just a stepping stone until he gets another shot

Very good call here. I never really thought of that and most coaches don't go to UT to head to the NFL. UT is usually the last stop LOL.

It should be interesting to see what happens. I'm hoping that Mora has found a niche in the college ranks and will stay and thrive at UT, if he ends up there.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? Are you really asking about playoffs? I just hope we win another game.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    I believe that Mora's true intentions are back in the NFL and that college is just a stepping stone until he gets another shot

Very good call here. I never really thought of that and most coaches don't go to UT to head to the NFL. UT is usually the last stop LOL.

It should be interesting to see what happens. I'm hoping that Mora has found a niche in the college ranks and will stay and thrive at UT, if he ends up there.
    Nah man I'm with ya...I'm just talking my brother off a ledge at Penn State right now...the whole O'Brien thing is a mess. The Joe Bots really made it a mess there for him during his 2 years. Anyone who thought O'Brien was going to stay at PSU was smoking crack, and I've been telling him I think Coach O Ed Orgeron would be awesome at Penn State. But the dopes there seem to think that Schiano or Al Golden are the answers to their issues

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

you just asked what jim mora has done in his career and then you endorse orgeron?

VegasInsider
    Update your status

O'Brien didn't stand a chance in the aftermath of what happened. I say that because O'Brien isn't a "YES" man. He's going to speak his mind and sure as shit, that's what happened. I don't blame him for lashing out to that reporter. The guy was handed 7-2 offsuit and made the absolute best he could of the situation. Plus, he did all that with most of the boosters and fans 100% Joe Bots and against him. He said it best at the end of his rant with that reporter (summed up like this)

"All I care about are the kids. I care if they graduate, I care what kind of people they are and become. Fukk the Joe Bots"

That's perfect and he's a great coach and guy for saying that. I have a new found respect for him after what he said and what he stood up for.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    you just asked what jim mora has done in his career and then you endorse orgeron?
    For PSU yes...they can't be picky...they need someone to energize the fans, students, etc. They've got a big problem there...ask any player etc at USC what they think of him then you'll have your answer

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Great choice

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    For PSU yes...they can't be picky...they need someone to energize the fans, students, etc. They've got a big problem there...ask any player etc at USC what they think of him then you'll have your answer
    he can recruit and players love him but he sucks as a coach

i also tend to think he's a crook based on what ive heard down here in sec country but thats speculation on my part

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do we not realize how this game works ... the majority of the time when big programs or big teams in the pros are seeking a new coach, names get "leaked" to either appease boosters or the fan base and make the job likely look more intriguing that it is. Oh Jim Mora wants it? Well hell, it must be good! Nick Saban wants it? You get the drift.

A few years ago Texas was a destination stop ... right now even though they have a ton of cash to throw around, they have not been a premiere program in almost half a dozen years. AD Steve Patterson needs to make the job look more attractive, so any name that people think might jump ship is thrown about - some might truly have touched based, but I would guess a lot of it is total bullshit.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2762

The better question is why would Mora or any other coach want the Texas job in the first place!...forget about the $$$$$ for a second, but the way they treated Mack Brown was utterly despicable and disrespectful...Texas wasn't jack shit until he got there and put them back on the map again...He was arguably one of the best coaches they've ever had and something like 10 double digit win seasons not to mention a national championship and a couple of mediocre years and they shove him out the door!...penetrate you Longhorns...you get what you deserve!

EaglesPhan36

That's problem guey. He set the bar high and then he couldn't match it any more and did not show any ability to figure out what went wrong. They got lapped as the best program in Texas by Baylor of all teams ... but a team with a coach who has adapted to the way football is played now, fast and with a diverse offense.

If you look at his last couple of years, he kept making desperate moves with his coordinators to try and find a spark and they all mostly failed. More troublesome should have been that his recruiting dipped. He would always put together good classes, but Texas was not a stop for blue chip recruits any more. They have like one five star in the last 4-5 years I think.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

dont see this happenin personally

EaglesPhan36

I still think James Franklin is the smart hire, but if I had to bet on it ... I'd bet big on Art Briles. Briles comes off as a guy who doesn't want the spotlight, a good ole boy who wants to be in film room ... but I think half that is bullshit. There supposedly is a bit if history as well with Briles and UT/Mack Brown with differing opinions - but Briles comes off as a bit of an ass from all accounts that I have read over the years. Some say it could be some old coaching snub. Some say it had to do with his son not getting a shot at playing QB at UT under Brown. In any case, their relationship was somewhat frosty.

That makes the position intriguing to him I think. To take what Mack Brown let get run down and rebuild it into a winner? That might be the biggest thing he has to gain out of all of this and it could be what makes him take the money and run to Austin.

Gimme Briles at I dunno +200 or something. UT might have to pay him more than Daniel Snyder though.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    The better question is why would Mora or any other coach want the Texas job in the first place!...forget about the $$$$$ for a second, but the way they treated Mack Brown was utterly despicable and disrespectful...Texas wasn't jack shit until he got there and put them back on the map again...He was arguably one of the best coaches they've ever had and something like 10 double digit win seasons not to mention a national championship and a couple of mediocre years and they shove him out the door!...penetrate you Longhorns...you get what you deserve!
    Could of sworn the Horns kept Mack for 15 years. They treated him great. He turned into a couch potato after the 2005 season. That performance against Oregon horrible. BYU running up the middle for 600 yards was a disgrace. Mack can mix himself another martini and sit in the coaches lounge from now on. He's done. He'd be lucky to even get a gig at a New Mexico St at this point.

Texas will go with who they think is the best recruiter. Since Saban is out I think you have to look at Les at LSU. And work your way down.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    A few years ago Texas was a destination stop ... right now even though they have a ton of cash to throw around, they have not been a premiere program in almost half a dozen years.
    Quite possibly the single stupidest comment I've ever read. Anywhere.

Yeah, Texas is considered a bullshit job now on the national scene.

Stick to playing armchair Offensive/Defensive Coordinator, after the fact, of course, in the NFL. I look forward to reading about what all the losing teams did wrong, scheme wise, in this weekends games. After they're over, of course.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Texas is waiting to talk to FSU's Jimbo Fisher.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Texas is waiting to talk to FSU's Jimbo Fisher.
    fisher has already signed FSU extension. mora jr is a complete farce. he gets jobs because of his daddy and he is clueless. he has accomplished nothing in coaching. he is nothing. i know people from texas are dumb, but this would take the cake.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Do we not realize how this game works ... the majority of the time when big programs or big teams in the pros are seeking a new coach, names get "leaked" to either appease boosters or the fan base and make the job likely look more intriguing that it is. Oh Jim Mora wants it? Well hell, it must be good! Nick Saban wants it? You get the drift.

A few years ago Texas was a destination stop ... right now even though they have a ton of cash to throw around, they have not been a premiere program in almost half a dozen years. AD Steve Patterson needs to make the job look more attractive, so any name that people think might jump ship is thrown about - some might truly have touched based, but I would guess a lot of it is total bullshit.
    When was Texas eve a destination stop?? They have the biggest football program in the country and have held that title or have been in the Top 5 for decades. There are only a handful of jobs that open up that are on the same level as Texas. All fans think about are these sexy jobs at schools that are flash-in-the-pan success stories like Oregon, Texas AM, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Mizzou or Boise. There is no long term history here of success. Texas, Bama, USC, FSU, OSU, Mich...those schools have REAL history. Personally, I would rather take over a 3-9 Michigan team then a 10-2 Boise or someone else that doesn't have strong ties on the recruiting trail. History still means something.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Mora has decided to stay at UCLA and Briles has turned down the job at Texas. They are going to have one tough time finding a decent HC. Texas loses a lot of players next season and the ones they have now are not real good.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3495

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    OK...I'm gonna ask...What the Hell has Jim Mora Jr done in coaching? Seriously? He was 31-33 in the NFL.lost in the NFC title game..19-8 in College....1-1 in Bowls which were the Holiday and Sun...nothing stellar...no Pac 12 titles etc. So exactly what is the huge attraction that Texas sees in him? What do you guys see in him?
    i will tell ya what he has done. Absolutely nothing and had to be one of the dumbest coaches i ever saw when he coached in Atlanta. These guys on these post sites hear something on ESPN and take it for gospel even letting ESPN rule over their own eyes.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5949

Briles would of been a great hire. I wonder if they get Jimbo Fisher.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Mora has decided to stay at UCLA and Briles has turned down the job at Texas. They are going to have one tough time finding a decent HC. Texas loses a lot of players next season and the ones they have now are not real good.
    It's amazing that no one wants to jump shit and head to Austin. Think about the list of coaches that have either declined or have sign lengthy extensions

Fisher
    Dantonio
    Peterson went to UW
    Saban
    Mora
    Texas AM coach
    Briles

So who will end up there??

Gundy?
    Miles?
    Kiffen?

WTF is in the water in Austin.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge187 View Post
    Briles would of been a great hire. I wonder if they get Jimbo Fisher.
    Jimbo just signed a contract extension last week.

opie1988

That means nothing. Been proven over and over again.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Dirty Sanchez

Vegas...I think the way they showed Mack the door was kind of scumbagish for a lot of the coaching community and some might rather not step into a situation where the situation kind of blows. Texas has a high opinion of itself, and the cupboard isn't exactly full

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Contract with no buyout clause. That contract may not keep him there.

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Quite possibly the single stupidest comment I've ever read. Anywhere.

Yeah, Texas is considered a bullshit job now on the national scene.

Stick to playing armchair Offensive/Defensive Coordinator, after the fact, of course, in the NFL. I look forward to reading about what all the losing teams did wrong, scheme wise, in this weekends games. After they're over, of course.
    I guess you don't read your own Shit then eh Frosty? Never said it was a bullshit job, but UT does not carry the swagger it had from just five years ago. If Brown left after he won the title, the line would be long as far as guys wanting this job. Five years later, Brown left the program in s mediocre state & with the money the top coaches make now - guys can stay at a Baylor or Louisville where it might suit them better.

Now go enjoy sittin out the playoffs again Turdhole.

opie1988

I guess you don't read your own Shit then eh Frosty? Never said it was a bullshit job, but UT does not carry the swagger it had from just five years ago. If Brown left after he won the title, the line would be long as far as guys wanting this job. Five years later, Brown left the program in s mediocre state & with the money the top coaches make now - guys can stay at a Baylor or Louisville where it might suit them better.

Now go enjoy sittin out the playoffs again Turdhole.
    Stick to commenting on your "inside knowledge" of TCU athletics because you went there.

Again, can't wait to hear your take on the failings of the Eagles coaches after this weekends games. Not sure why you don't at least offer to help them gameplan?

I have no doubt they'd welcome your obvious expertise.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

12 Last