Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Only if you can hang onto your other weapons, I have my doubts theyll be able to hangto both Marshall and Jefferey after next year.
    the Bears have Alshon for two more years at least at a very very cheap level. and they can keep him for 3-4 more if they make the right moves, without even negotiating a contract.

the question is, will they keep Marshall?

well with one year remaining, at this point it seems like both sides want to stay. But you have to remember the guy's past behaviors are consistent with borderline personality disorder and one little thing could set him off back off the deep end.

he might be secretly fuming right now, that the Bears didn't offer him a deal right after Jay signed.

my best guess right now, is that Bears will sign Marshall to a 3 year extension right before training camp.

and again, the bears won't have to really over lap too much on high salaries with Alshon and Brandon if they play their cards right.

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

don't see marshall going anywhere once his contract is up because this scheme is exactly perfect for him

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3435

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    the Bears have Alshon for two more years at least at a very very cheap level. and they can keep him for 3-4 more if they make the right moves, without even negotiating a contract.

the question is, will they keep Marshall?

well with one year remaining, at this point it seems like both sides want to stay. But you have to remember the guy's past behaviors are consistent with borderline personality disorder and one little thing could set him off back off the deep end.

he might be secretly fuming right now, that the Bears didn't offer him a deal right after Jay signed.

my best guess right now, is that Bears will sign Marshall to a 3 year extension right before training camp.

and again, the bears won't have to really over lap too much on high salaries with Alshon and Brandon if they play their cards right.
    Fair enough but im just thinking out loud,im assuming they have Forte locked up for awhile,thats another guy theyll need to keep.

I know Marshall has been a head case where ever he's played, he has seemed to tone it down abit since he left Miami,but you do wonder when his next blow up will be. But yeah they do need him if they expect to win a Super Bowl,Alshon wont be able to do it on his own no matter how good he is. Hell be a big ticket item no matter how you slice it.

So if they do manage to lock up Marshall what will that leave them with once they need to shore up the defense.

I do know alot about jealousy of contracts, I dont know if you follow Nascar there was a big name driver that left this past year to join another team because another teammate got paid a massive contract that past summer.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 01-03-14 at 12:38 PM.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

on what planet is cutler even an average QB??? don't you have you do anything anymore????? romo contract 2.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Fair enough but im just thinking out loud,im assuming they have Forte locked up for awhile,thats another guy theyll need to keep.

I know Marshall has been a head case where ever he's played, he has seemed to tone it down abit since he left Miami,but you do wonder when his next blow up will be. But yeah they do need him if they expect to win a Super Bowl,Alshon wont be able to do it on his own no matter how good he is. Hell be a big ticket item no matter how you slice it.

So if they do manage to lock up Marshall what will that leave them with once they need to shore up the defense.

I do know alot about jealousy of contracts, I dont know if you follow Nascar there was a big name driver that left this past year to join another team because another teammate got paid a massive contract that past summer.
    Forte signed an extension last season, so yes, but bigger question with him is how long he'll be productive. He's 28 and history is not kind to running backs north of 28/29. I'd say though that he should have 2-3 more productive seasons. With Cutler 3 years gauaranteed and Forite and probably Marshall with his age, this offense as is, assuming health, should have a window of 3 more seasons.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    on what planet is cutler even an average QB??? don't you have you do anything anymore????? romo contract 2.
    Name any QB that the Bears could sign that is better. You just can't compare to Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, etc. because they ain't available. Supply and demand, bro. Cutler is in the next tier after those guys.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Name any QB that the Bears could sign that is better. You just can't compare to Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, etc. because they ain't available. Supply and demand, bro. Cutler is in the next tier after those guys.
    yeah at this stage in the game.

if you are a QB that has kept a starting position past your 4-5 year rookie contract and you don't get franchised...

you will see these kinds of numbers.

there simply aren't really any good QB's out there that have proven to be just "ok" that show some promise like your Staffords, Flaccos, Cutlers, Romos ect that will be available.

supply and demand for sure.

and with the restructured CBA, rookies drafted in the first round make like 1/5th of what they used to make. to there is more money out there, but other positions really aren't going up.

no more do you see the Ryan Leaf and Lamarcus Russell rookie contracts, which were much much much bigger risks than giving a proven vet a big contract. the player's reps won, and we are seeing it in action.

I for one would rather players get paid then owners or have owners throw blind money at potential busts.

will be interesting to see guys like Newton, Luck, Tannehill, Wilson, RG3, Kapernick ect command in the next few years.

but I bet everyone of the reactions will think they are getting too much. But that is just the nature of the market in the NFL

the most premium position by far, and you pretty much have to draft very well and have a bit of luck to end up with a franchise QB

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

yeah at this stage in the game.

if you are a QB that has kept a starting position past your 4-5 year rookie contract and you don't get franchised...

you will see these kinds of numbers.

there simply aren't really any good QB's out there that have proven to be just "ok" that show some promise like your Staffords, Flaccos, Cutlers, Romos ect that will be available.

supply and demand for sure.

and with the restructured CBA, rookies drafted in the first round make like 1/5th of what they used to make.

will be interesting to see guys like Newton, Luck, Tannehill, Wilson, RG3, Kapernick ect command in the next few years.

but I bet everyone of the reactions will think they are getting too much. But that is just the nature of the market in the NFL

the most premium position by far, and you pretty much have to draft very well and have a bit of luck to end up with a franchise QB
    And if you have one you don't let him go unless you're sitting with a top 2 or 3 pick with an available that's worth it. Very very rare to be able to otherwise sign or trade for one. Trading for Cutler years ago and Chiefs for Alex Smith are very very rare exceptions. If you happen to find a gem in the later rounds, great, but nobody counts on that because: a. you don't know it when he's drafted, and b. for every 1 of those later round picks that work there are 20 that fail. Betting the franchise on a lottery ticket is not wise GM'ing.

packerd_00

Forte signed an extension last season, so yes, but bigger question with him is how long he'll be productive. He's 28 and history is not kind to running backs north of 28/29. I'd say though that he should have 2-3 more productive seasons. With Cutler 3 years gauaranteed and Forite and probably Marshall with his age, this offense as is, assuming health, should have a window of 3 more seasons.
    This is true, not alot of 30 something runningbacks kicking around,that are still productive. Theyll need to hit the ground running in the next couple of years,both Forte and Marshall will be in there 30's, and replacing those sorts of established players is tough work.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 01-03-14 at 01:15 PM.

maggiethebestdog

so you just throw away money on a proven loser????? great logic. go after chase daniels from KC. he would take them just as far as cutler. keenun from houston. trade cutler for defense. oh wait, nobody wants a bum.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

trade Cutler for defense and then what do you do at QB?

give a long term deal to old man McCown, and hope it is Kurt Warner part II?

give a one year deal to McCown and risk the 3 year ish window we talked about?

start a rookie?

again supply and demand. There is alot of demand for actual starting level consistent NFL QB's. ask the Browns, Ask the Bears prior to getting Cutler

look at the list of failures those teams trotted out to start games the past 15 years

its a joke

a guy that can play good enough to be a starter for 5+ years is at a premium in the NFL.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

so you just throw away money on a proven loser????? great logic. go after chase daniels from KC. he would take them just as far as cutler. keenun from houston. trade cutler for defense. oh wait, nobody wants a bum.
    First of all, he wasn't under contract and couldn't be traded. But yes, lots of teams would have been bidding for his servces had he hit the open market, guaranteed, and he probably would have made more money that way.

Beyond that, you just have no clue.

packerd_00

trade Cutler for defense and then what do you do at QB?

give a long term deal to old man McCown, and hope it is Kurt Warner part II?

give a one year deal to McCown and risk the 3 year ish window we talked about?

start a rookie?

again supply and demand. There is alot of demand for actual starting level consistent NFL QB's. ask the Browns, Ask the Bears prior to getting Cutler

look at the list of failures those teams trotted out to start games the past 15 years

its a joke

a guy that can play good enough to be a starter for 5+ years is at a premium in the NFL.
    Theyre will never be another Warner,that guy almost won a SB for the Cardinals of all teams,ofcourse you got idiots like Deion Sanders giving the wide receivers most of the credit.

maggiethebestdog

First of all, he wasn't under contract and couldn't be traded. But yes, lots of teams would have been bidding for his servces had he hit the open market, guaranteed, and he probably would have made more money that way.

Beyond that, you just have no clue.
    i certainly don't have the football background you do. you still don't get it. he is a loser and that has been proven. he certainly could have traded. so much for your football knowledge. so trade a guaranteed loser for defense, then court daniels, keenun or cousins, all of whom give them a better chance to win. too complicated for ya???? stick to your guns and keep looking like a fool. cutler gives you no chance to win. get some D and a better QB. crazy, isn't it????? you have no idea who you are trying to debate football with.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

i certainly don't have the football background you do. you still don't get it. he is a loser and that has been proven. he certainly could have traded. so much for your football knowledge. so trade a guaranteed loser for defense, then court daniels, keenun or cousins, all of whom give them a better chance to win. too complicated for ya???? stick to your guns and keep looking like a fool. cutler gives you no chance to win. get some D and a better QB. crazy, isn't it????? you have no idea who you are trying to debate football with.
    I do, now that I know that you don't have the football background that I do. And again, no, he could not be traded because he wasn't under contract after the season. The Bears had 3 choices this off-season: (1) sign him (they did this), or (2) franchise tag him for one season, or (3) let him go. A franchise tagged player cannot be traded. Got it?

maggiethebestdog

I do, now that I know that you don't have the football background that I do. And again, no, he could not be traded because he wasn't under contract after the season. The Bears had 3 choices this off-season: (1) sign him (they did this), or (2) franchise tag him for one season, or (3) let him go. A franchise tagged player cannot be traded. Got it?

the 1st line was sarcasm, einstein. i played in games you bet on. like i said, they had not franchised him. they didn't have to re-sign him, meaning, they could have let him go and spent that money on defense. have a 5th grader explain it to you.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

the 1st line was sarcasm, einstein. i played in games you bet on. like i said, they had not franchised him. they didn't have to re-sign him, meaning, they could have let him go and spent that money on defense. have a 5th grader explain it to you.
    Hey genius, you said TRADED. You were wrong. Feel free to admit it or not, I don't care.

maggiethebestdog

Hey genius, you said TRADED. You were wrong. Feel free to admit it or not, I don't care.
    you are right. i did say trade instead of let go. that still doesn't change the premise that you don't give a loser money when you need D players.

First 123