daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Why don't Alabama players do well in the pros?

Seems like they either bust or are injury prone.

Eddie Lacy & Julio have been good but already have injury issues....

Mark Barron has looked good.

Trenton Richardson, Mark Ingram Tay Cody, Dee Millner? Not so much. Interesting how they have the best college talent but don't pan out often in the pros.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

You are only listing offensive players. Alabama's strength is their defense. Research defensive players of Alabama in the NFL and they are the cream of the crop.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    You are only listing offensive players. Alabama's strength is their defense. Research defensive players of Alabama in the NFL and they are the cream of the crop.

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

I'm counting three Offensive players and three Defensive players.

Popcorn Trick

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Not a lot of Pro Bowlers Dude.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Tay Cody? Millner? Kirkpatrick? Don't know if that's cream of the crop. Can't believe Roman Harper is still around. He had a pretty good career

Popcorn Trick

Bama is well coached and a couple of years didn't really deserve to be in Championship game. Saban is a great coach and they won those championship games.

Funny, USC guys weren't panning out in the pro's either during their Hay-Day.

That being said, Bama is stacked this year and I can't imagine the same scenario going forward.

W

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Julio Jones
    Andre Smith
    Donta Hightower
    Roman Harper
    Kareem Jackson
    Demeco Ryan's

only people I can think of

Shaun Alexander prob the best in last 10 years off the top of my head

Derrick Thomas best all time?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

who cares ... worry about your bets fellas . nothing else matters

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hard to gauge
    Many are hit and miss at all programs

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Julio and Andre Smith are the only consensus number 1 players coming from Alabama. They started from day 1 and lived up to the hype and were drafted top 7 respectively. All the other are either homegrown players who were coached up, or good freshman who played 3 years and left, but played in a great system and participated with other great players. That doesn't necessarily translate into being a good pro. When ever I watch SNF or MNF I am still amazed at the "small schools" that put the starters in the NFL on an ongoing basis when each player is allowed to introduce themselves. For example. Purdue, Saginaw State, E Michigan, Troy, Nicholls State, etc.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Marcel Dareus
    Mark Barron
    Courtney Upshaw
    Donta Hightower
    Dee Milliner

Like I told you. Cream of the crop!

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Dre Kirkpatrick is injured no?

Their o linemen are pretty good

Rolano McClain was a good prospect but hes a moron. I remeber Upshaw in college guy was fukkin nasty

bama11braves
    bama11braves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 772

your talking about guys that have only been in the league 2-3 years. Mark Ingram looked pretty good last night. Trent Richardson every time i watch never gets blocked for, he gets drilled in the back field all the time. In 5 years each team is gonna have 5 bama guys on it and well see how they do then. Until then its to early. Not many guys come straight into the pros and dominate.

15805's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16152

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Julio and Andre Smith are the only consensus number 1 players coming from Alabama. They started from day 1 and lived up to the hype and were drafted top 7 respectively. All the other are either homegrown players who were coached up, or good freshman who played 3 years and left, but played in a great system and participated with other great players. That doesn't necessarily translate into being a good pro. When ever I watch SNF or MNF I am still amazed at the "small schools" that put the starters in the NFL on an ongoing basis when each player is allowed to introduce themselves. For example. Purdue, Saginaw State, E Michigan, Troy, Nicholls State, etc.

I'm amazed that when they announce the starting lineups almost all the teams have a guy who says his
    alma mater is some high school. Did they make the team as free agents during tryouts and then work there way into the lineup?

SilverTongueFox
    SilverTongueFox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5303

Bart Starr, Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath
    Derrick Thomas, Cornelius Bennett, Ozzie Newsome
    Bobby Humphrey, Derrick Lassic, Shaun Alexander just for starters.....

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

As a whole, I agree.....Bama players have not panned out all that great compared to what you would expect

Just as a Jets fan, Dee Milliner had a few terrible games early on but he played really well against New Orleans last game and everyone seems to be high on him in practice etc....Even Darelle Revis was getting abused as a rookie I remember....Tough to judge any player but especially a Corner in the NFL as a rookie

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Eddie Lacy has been tremendous and other than a concussion hasn't had any injury issues

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

FSu and Miami players turn out to be better in the pros IMO. Except at the qb position.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Heard some one say the joke in the NFL locker room is if you come from Bama the two things you'll have is a ring and a surgery.

Maybe the physical style they play takes a toll

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Have we accounted for offensive lineman?

Even then, it's just extremely tough to make it in the NFL - very large jump from college. You're going up against the best of the best every single week. Bama always has great college players but even then they are going up against a bunch of college kids.

Like someone mentioned above, it often surprises me when listening to lineups how many guys are from smaller schools.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Why don't Oregon's

How many MVP candidates do the Bucs have up this year?

Drew Brees went to Purdue....etc etc.

It's like asking Tom Brady to go run a zone read offense or for Johnny Manziel to be as academic as Peyton Manning.....football is all about putting the right players in the right spots at any level.

That being said I see what you've done here....you see the imminent continuation of the Bama dynasty for another season so you resort to this to take away that frustration. Nice job pal.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    Why don't Oregon's

How many MVP candidates do the Bucs have up this year?

Drew Brees went to Purdue....etc etc.

It's like asking Tom Brady to go run a zone read offense or for Johnny Manziel to be as academic as Peyton Manning.....football is all about putting the right players in the right spots at any level.

That being said I see what you've done here....you see the imminent continuation of the Bama dynasty for another season so you resort to this to take away that frustration. Nice job pal.
    Nah, actually was a topic i heard on sports radio. They weren't going back as far as Alexander and Namath tho

Lowpine
    Update your status
    Lowpine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4228

I see as many Saban players succeeding as I do from other schools. Why is Bama held to the standard of having every player drafted be a probowler? Seems to me this is just something people cling to to take their mind off the fact that Bama wins everything all the time

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

One reason many of the highly touted recruits come to Alabama is they believe they will be coached up and better prepared for the NFL if the opportunity comes their way.

Saban runs NFL type practices....if players can master/excel at Bama, they know they have a good shot of sticking in the big league.

By the way, I have been watching Alabama football all my life and I'm older than most of you. Bama has had many great players: Lee Roy Jordan, Namath, Stabler, Thomas etc ....but the best pure football player I've ever seen at Bama was offensive guard John Hannah.

Hannah was All-American at Bama and All-Pro many, many years with the New England Patriots. He's in both the college and pro Hall of Fame. I saw Big John a few months ago and he looked like he could still play. Good guy and hell of a player.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

damn Workhorse I thought you left...guess I need to go to the subforum more often

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Dane, Urban cracks the door and lets me sneak in every now and then.

Thanks Bud!

Noles1992
    Noles1992's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25530

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    FSu and Miami players turn out to be better in the pros IMO. Except at the qb position.
    The U all seem to play and succeed a long while, even more than FSU

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

same reason as JJ gold they think being pro makes you so cool you don't worry about putting your best out there you just blow.

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

Main reason is they are beat up by the time they go Pro. Bamas training routine has a lot of these kids burnt out by the time they go pro

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Nick Saban came to Alabama in 07. His first recruiting class is in their third year in the NFL.

Maybe because Bama wasn't THAT good when the players who are now in their prime were playing there.

You need to wait at least 4 more years before this discussion is even worth having.

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

lol this thread is pointless, named off 2nd year players that haven't even had the time to blossom

NittanyLionsFan
    Casey, show 'em how to smile.
    NittanyLionsFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

The fact that Alabama sends more than 1 player per year to the NFL is an outright miracle. Anyone surprised that they don't do well is a moron. These guys don't do well in college, why would they do well in the pros?

NittanyLionsFan
    Casey, show 'em how to smile.
    NittanyLionsFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

One of the biggest jokes of all time is that scrub Derrick Thomas making it to the hall of fame. Puts a tarnish on the hall for eternity.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    Main reason is they are beat up by the time they go Pro. Bamas training routine has a lot of these kids burnt out by the time they go pro
    This.

12 Last