sando
    sando's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

Rugby League World Cup 2013

The world cup has started and just for those special types that never leave PT, I will start this thread and bump some plays over from my personal sports thread.

Picked up an easy winner last night (Italy -4) as the Italians proved far too strong for the Welsh, winning 32-16 and getting us off to a flying start.

1-0 +1.8 units

sando

France v Papua New Guinea

A fascinating match up. France and PNG are in the second tier group of Rugby League nations (France, PNG and Wales) behind of course the big 3 (NZ, AUS, ENG) as far as the growth and popularity of the game, strength of the domestic comp, etc.

Massive blow for the Kumuls who lose game breaking star hooker Segeyaro, but they do have outstanding Cowboys hooker Ray Thompson, who ply’s his trade alongside the world’s best play maker (Thurston) on a daily basis. Thomspon will probably play halfback or standoff if I had to guess with former NRL player Paul Aition slotting in at hooker. Kumuls also have NRL players Neville Costigan (to lead the pack), and exciting Titans winger Mead (although I highly doubt they will waste his talent hiding on the wing). The rest of the team made up of local PNG league players, which is not neccesarily a bad thing. Remember PNG is the only nation in the entire world that boasts Rugby League as it’s national sport - to say they love league in PNG would be an understatement. There are a lot of big, strong, fast 18-22 year old’s on this team and while they will be more on the “raw” side of talented at the moment, they will generally be bigger, stronger and faster than their French counterparts (although significantly less skilled).

The only thing that really scares me about France is that 75% of their team are from the Dragons in the Super League. There is a lot to be said about familiarity and cohesion in league, especially at the key positions (9, 7, 6 and 1). Having said this however, Catalans (Dragons) have only been a middle of the table Super League team for years despite having by far the largest talent pool to snipe players from (XIII Elite league) out of all the super league clubs. Also France were a joke at the last World Cup, getting buried by every team and winning the prestigious wooden spoon, however 5 years is a long time in sport, yet in their recent world cup warm up match the Frenchies just lost to the USA. I don’t even understand how this possible – friendly or not? The Americans are actually a growing force in Rugby 7’s but they still are a very weak rugby league nation, and yet they just knocked of the French in their only warm up match. Scary.

Lads lets go with youth, speed and power and some NRL guns over the cohesion and (probably) higher skill level of the Frenchies – especially as we can get them over the odds…

Oh did I mention that Adrian Lam and Mal Meninga are coaching this team. Yeah that kind of helps when you’re dealing with so much youth…

1.5* PNG m/l ($2.30/+130 Bet 365)
    1* PNG +4 ($1.90/-110 Bet365)

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

I wish 5Dimes had lines for this.

They only had a futures bet for who would win the whole tournament.

sando

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebuttluv View Post
    I wish 5Dimes had lines for this.

They only had a futures bet for who would win the whole tournament.
    Bubbles get on live chat and request them, they will just grab a line from Pinny or Bet365 I would think...?

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Got PNG at +2 here but still think they win SU...

Thanks for the writeup Sando...GL

bubblebuttluv

Quote Originally Posted by sando View Post
    Bubbles get on live chat and request them, they will just grab a line from Pinny or Bet365 I would think...?
    I'll look into that, thanks bruh.

sando

sando

*For those of you that don’t know anything about league or have no interest in the sport, watch the first 10 minutes of NZ v Samoa match tonight as these giant Islanders square off and try and intimidate each other with their War dances – spine tingling stuff…

bubblebuttluv

Which do you like more Sando and ACoochy, League or Union?

I think a good NZ vs South Africa rugby union match is about the best thing in sports, but I really only watch league when there isn't a good union game on.

davopnz
    davopnz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Any thoughts on the NZ/Samoa game? I remember Samoa getting thrashed by Tonga not so long ago

lordkai35
    lordkai35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Love the PNG play Sando.

For those unfamiliar with the French and PNG squads, basically french squad is all catalan dragon's (super league) and random euro lower league players. They lost to the USA in a warmup game and they didnt played a full strength squad for that match. Note, USA have guys in their team who are actually union players and played less than 5 league games in their life.....

Kumuls are solid squad with NRL talent. Biggest blow was injury of seggy as he could have provided so much in attack. Kumuls are usually competitive in test/friendlies with Australia (prime minister's 13). They got thrashed 50-10 against the aussie prime minister squad but that was when guys like jarred hayne/brent tate were trying to push for a starting spot in the kangaroos. French team lack NRL experience but they do have a better structure and cohesion. PNG have more NRL experience and flair across the team. PNG definitely the pick here.

sando

Quote Originally Posted by davopnz View Post
    Any thoughts on the NZ/Samoa game? I remember Samoa getting thrashed by Tonga not so long ago
    Absolutley, working on my write up right now, maybe 20 minutes...

ACoochy

I think a good NZ vs South Africa rugby union match is about the best thing in sports, but I really only watch league when there isn't a good union game on.
    Don't live in a Eastern state over here in Oz plus used to be housemates with a guy who played provincial union in france as a prop so im kinda biased towards union here pal...GL

sando

Bubbles, me and Cooch are actually both South Australians which is an AFL dominated state, however I grew up in NSW, which is the heartland of both league and Union. I prefer playing Union and watching league. League is faster and more aesthetic, more pleasing to the eye, whereas Union is like 1 big violent chess match.

bubblebuttluv

Preciate it ACoochy and Sando.

ACoochy

Union is like 1 big violent chess match.
    Haha but so true.

Not too many people id back away from but old housemate was one of them. 135kg of pure craziness (best attitude for a prop)...

bubblebuttluv

How long do you guys think it will be until the Wallabies get it together?

I support the Springboks, but I genuinely feel bad for Australia supporters because their national team is doing so bad.

I was a James O'Connor fan years ago when he originally made the national team, only to find out he is a total douchebag.

I don't really see the Wallabies winning more than 2 matches on their northern tour.

bartlomiej1978
    bartlomiej1978's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I'm 2-0 so far on world cup and hitting over 46,5 PNG-France today, would say PNG have many talented players from NRL, almost whole French team plays for Catalan Dragons in England. Don't know who is going to win today. Just waiting for a weather,been raining here in England

bartlomiej1978

I have never seen full PNG game just watched some clips on Youtube, they are strong team and try to hit anyone with ball hard, would say will be many penalties against them

sando

NZ v Samoa

Had a big write up but I don’t really like it and now I have a headache, so here’s the play, no write up.

2* Over 49.5 ($1.90/-110 Sportsbet/IAS bet)

bartlomiej1978

NZ v Samoa

Had a big write up but I don’t really like it and now I have a headache, so here’s the play, no write up.

2* Over 49.5 ($1.90/-110 Sportsbet/IAS bet)
    Hitting the same mate, kiwis should score 50 , Samoa was beaten by England Knights last week 52-16
    bet365 has a line over 48,5 for 2.00

sando

Quote Originally Posted by bartlomiej1978 View Post
    Hitting the same mate, kiwis should score 50 , Samoa was beaten by England Knights last week 52-16
    bet365 has a line over 48,5 for 2.00
    How bizarre, that line at Bet365 opened at $1.80 and it's now moved to $2.00. I'm surprised so many hitting the Under 48.5?

davopnz

How long do you guys think it will be until the Wallabies get it together?

I support the Springboks, but I genuinely feel bad for Australia supporters because their national team is doing so bad.

I was a James O'Connor fan years ago when he originally made the national team, only to find out he is a total douchebag.

I don't really see the Wallabies winning more than 2 matches on their northern tour.
    They just put the most points up by any team against the All Blacks on NZ soil, ever. They are progressing fine and will win all 5 games on tour.

s2230011
    s2230011's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3071

I don't have any info but considering where this tournament is played .. could it be the weather ?

davopnz

it's in warrington, indeed looks nasty there

Donkey
    Donkey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1814

Unreal finish to the ppg v france game..

sweepem
    sweepem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14221

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Unreal finish to the ppg v france game..
    yeah PNG missed an easy penalty kick in the 78. minute. both teams looked horrible and clueless.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Why is this in the soccer section

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Lol because the kick the egg it must equal soccer!

sando

NZ v Samoa on now - Over looking good so far... http://www.feed2all.eu/type/rugby.html

sando

Cash the Over 49.5 NZ v Samoa in the 60th minute. Samoa on fire - awesome match after the joke that was PNG v France...

3-1 now in the tournament with PNG losing by 1 point the only blemish

+3 units
    Points Awarded:

OZnBa Fan gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

trigga50 gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Lol because the kick the egg it must equal soccer!
    Seems liek it....

Grunch
    Grunch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2718

Thanks for that one Sando.

That slip by Sonny Bill Williams to miss the try was one of the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. He deserved it for slowrolling instead of putting the ball on the ground the moment he got there.

sando

Quote Originally Posted by Grunch View Post
    Thanks for that one Sando.

That slip by Sonny Bill Williams to miss the try was one of the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. He deserved it for slowrolling instead of putting the ball on the ground the moment he got there.
    The look on his face - priceless!

sando

Tonight's match - Fiji v Ireland

Fiji will win but the line is too large, I'm not willing to lay 14-16 points with Fiji. Ireland are actually the strongest of the Northern hemisphere teams (outside of England of course) in my opinion and appear to be better than most realise. If I was going to bet I would probably buy a few points and take Fiji -11.5 ($1.60/-166) @ Sportsbet. Think the total at 42.5 is spot on and no lean either way.

I will be back with a play on Tonga v Scotland tomorrow and probably a big play on the USA v Cook Islands game the day after...

1234 ... Last