smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

I'm watching this match live and Anand has passed up a chance to go for the draw with black around move 23. Interesting.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Wed 11/13 1760 Vishwanathan Anand (IND) (game 4) 5.810
    01:30 AM 1761 Magnus Carlsen (NOR) (game 4) 5.350
    1762 Draw 1.408
    Wed 11/13 1760 Vishwanathan Anand (IND) (Series) 0 3.470
    01:30 AM 1761 Magnus Carlsen (NOR) (Series) 0 1.333
    Wed 11/13 1760 Vishwanathan Anand (IND) (Series) +1 1.833
    01:30 AM 1761 Magnus Carlsen (NOR) (Series) -1 2.030
    Wed 11/13 1760 Vishwanathan Anand (IND) (game 4) Over 42.5 1.909
    01:30 AM 1761 Magnus Carlsen (NOR) (game 4) Under 42.5 1.909
    World Chess Championship Chess - Fri 11/15
    Match Match Handicap Money Line Total More
    Fri 11/15 1763 Vishwanathan Anand (IND) (game 5) 14.810
    01:30 AM 1764 Magnus Carlsen (NOR) (game 5) 3.150
    1765 Draw 1.526
    Fri 11/15 1763 Vishwanathan Anand (IND) (game 5) Over 42.5 1.847
    01:30 AM 1764 Magnus Carlsen (NOR) (game 5) Under 42.5 1.971

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Another draw, this time in 51 moves. Carlsen again tried the Reti, an opening often resulting on long maneuvering games. Anand took a more challenging line (dxc4), and once again Carlsen made an inaccuracy (13. Bb4) giving an small advantage to black. This time Anand keep pressing, harassing white queen all over the board (it ended on h1). Then Carlsen made another miskake (28. e3), which should result in the loss of a pawn. Anand should have gone more aggressive (29..Bxb2 or 34..Rf8), but took a safe way to grab the pawn, without many winning chances. A few moves later (maybe a mistake, or as an implicit draw offer) Anand offered an exchange of rooks that gave back the pawn and produced a dead draw position. They kept playing until almost all pieces went off the board, so they would not be criticized for another short draw. But the result was clear since move 39.

The surprise on this match is how Anand has been outplaying Carlsen on middlegames. Most people thought Anand would have the edge on opening preparation, but Carlsen would be superior on middlegame and engdame. Tomorrow is game 4.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

anand should have won game 3...he played safe instead of being aggresive. Bxb2 was a missed move...looks like anand is afraid to attack carlsen.

Missed chance for anand...carlsen will probably revert back to some anaother opening now that KIA (Kings Indian Attack) is not working. Anand is playing too safe.

For betting purposes, anand +300 is still great value. Carlsen is just playing horribly through first 3 games. Anand is well prepared and should have been up by now.

CDMKMP
    CDMKMP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 651

Good updates, thanks guys.

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

LOL had no clue you could wager on chess

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines

4th game a draw on 63 moves. Anand chose again e4, and Carlsen countered with e5, entering in the Ruy Lopez Berlin variation, the line expected as his main black defense on this match. The Berlin was a sideline variation of the Ruy Lopez for many years, until Kramnik masterfully used it to neutralize Kasparov on the 2000 match. It looks ugly, black losses the right to castle, his pieces are uncoordinated and the doubled pawn would carry into a lost pawn endgame if all pieces are exchanged. OTOH, black gets a a queens exchange (so there are few attacking chances for white) and black bishop pair is a long term compensation if black can coordinate their pieces.

In today game, Anand got nothing out of the opening; he tried to shuffle his pieces, but when doing so he left unprotected the a2 pawn. We all know Bxa2 in such positions is bad, white plays b3 and the bishop is trapped. Even Fischer lost the first game of his 1972 match vs Spassky with such a rookie mistake. But wait, in this position Bxa2 is not so bad, black can free his bishop with c4 and create an escape route via b1. And Carlsen played Bxa2. So Anand was a pawn down with not enough compensation. But he did not lost composure, and tried to get something out of his pieces activity. When looked like black would coordinate his game, Anand found two precise moves (35. Ne4 and 38. Nd4!) which gave him enough compensation for the pawn. From there, Carlsen attempted to complicate matters, but Anand careful play secured the draw.

This was the first time Anand was against the ropes, and he hold off well. In this match black has had the upper hand on 3 out of 4 games (and the other was a dead draw out of the opening). Tomorrow is a rest day, lets see who draws first blood in the match.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 11-14-13 at 06:44 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChalkyDog

smitch124

Looking forward to this game tonight, I think someone gets the win.

Coopertrooper
    Coopertrooper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Looks like Carlsen should win game 5, 50 moves in and appears like a formality unless he slips up.

vyomguy

yup carlsen won....anand made too many mistakes. I watched the game live.

Whats the line for anand now?

I still want to take him if its more than +500.

Anand gets white in the next two games. He will surely win one of those.

I am expecting this tournament to go to rapid rounds. Anand has an edge there.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
    yup carlsen won....anand made too many mistakes. I watched the game live.

Whats the line for anand now?

I still want to take him if its more than +500.

Anand gets white in the next two games. He will surely win one of those.

I am expecting this tournament to go to rapid rounds. Anand has an edge there.
    Rapid rounds? Is game dragging too long?

vyomguy

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Rapid rounds? Is game dragging too long?
    After 12 games, if its still tied, it will go to rapid rounds.

Anand has an advantage there. He just needs to survive till round 12.

smitch124

Vishy +523 at Pinny

ChuckyTheGoat

Great stuff here, guys. Is there a "nerve" factor? I know this guy Carlsen is pretty ice-cold. On the precipice, things could get tight. He commented that he would consider getting a g/f after this match. Mind wanders, guy's only human. Anand seems like a machine to me. GL if u guys play Anand +523.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by sando View Post
    There are Giant but 90% hustlers. I tried once, played against a guy - 1400 ranking. Played 3 games and in theory I should have won every game, however he destroyed me, got hustled. Guys deliberately will manipulate their rankings. Maybe have an IM getting around under a 1450 ranking, it's brutal...
    My ranking on every internet site is right around 1400. Strange coincidence.

Got it up to about 1800 on playsite.com years ago.

However, I am convinced it's ruled by bots.

Wont play anything more than 2 min games online these days as a result. Although who the hell knows if they have something able to move that fast.

bigballa
    bigballa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4154

brilliant stuff guys! dont have a clue about chess myself, but wish i did....keep the updates coming

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Is there a chess for dummies?

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

what's up with carlsen always moving, or looking away then suddenly looking back and making a move? Also, what are they looking at when they are sitting down and looking up to the left(white) and up to the right(black)?
    Last edited by brooks85; 11-16-13 at 08:54 AM.

smitch124

Carlsen wins again with black, I left the match around move 23 surely thought it would be a draw. Carlsen wins in 67 moves.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines

I have been busy, so had no time for an update. Game 5 started as an English, Anand choose the e6 setup. Black wants to play d5, so white usually end playing d4 transposing to Queens gambit declined, a line suited to Anand opening preparation. If white does not play d4, black plays dxc4, a line considered satisfactory for black. So Carlsen played d4, and Anand tried c6, the semislav. Carlsen surprisingly went for the sharp Marshall gambit, but instead of going for the well booked main line, he took a peaceful sideline offering very little advantage. But at last game was into his strength: Black had a weak c pawn, and he can try to grind the advantage. Anand defended actively but as game progressed, his position was more difficult to hold. Anand crack to the presure (45..Rc1 put him agains the wall, and 51..Re2 was last chance to hold the draw). So Carlsen took a huge win.

Game 6 Anand started with e4, and Carlsen attempted to enter into his Berlin wall. White eschewed it with 4.d3, an unambitious move. The classical Ruy Lopez themes are still there but white is restricted in the center, so there is not an "Spanish torture". Anand invited Carlsen to sharp the game (with 10..h6 11 Bh4 g5) but he wisely declined. The ensuing position was equal, so the draw was expected. But Carlsen did not play for a draw, he kept making good non committal moves, while Anand started getting nervous. Suddenly, in a position only slightly worse, Anand sacrificed a pawn to enter into an objectively drawn rook endgame, but one where black can try to win without any risk. Once again, Anand attempted to find a direct solution to his problems, but Carlsen kept applying pressure. And once Again, Anand made a mistake in an objectively drawn position. 60.Ra4 is hard to explain, the lateral checks in the a column are easily dealt with. The logical move 60.b4 would hold the draw. Looks to me that Anand was already resigned to loss the game, so he just tried a "clever" defense.

Match now is almost over. 2 wins is huge, and Carlsen looks like the better player. In last 3 games he just keeps outplaying Anand. Line now should be -1500 Carlsen. Tomorrow is a rest day.

smitch124

Game 9 the most interesting of them all. Carlsen is dormy (using a golf term) up 3 with 3 to play. The commentary was interesting in this one. Both Commentators felt White (Anand) had the advantage around move 22, yet Carlsen gains the win by move 28.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines

Quick recaps of last 3 games:

Game 7, Anand e4, Carlsen goes for the Berlin again. Anand tries again the insipid 4. d3, and gets very little out of the opening. A few moves later, simplification ensued and the draw was agreed in 32 moves.

Game 8, Carlsen small surprise with e4. Anand choose e5 and a Berlin, a slightly puzzling choice. 2 games down, he was expected to play for a game with some winning chances with black, even at the risk of losing. Carlsen took the Rio variation (4. 0-0) a very safe choice, and they exchanged all pieces for a dull draw on 33 moves.

Game 9, Anand had to go for the kill, 2 points down with 2 whites left. After 4 unsuccessful e4 games (1 Caro Kann, 3 Berlins), he went for d4. Carlsen went for the Nimzoindian, and Anand countered with the f3 Saemisch variation. It is a sharp line, not good scoring for white, but leading to unbalanced positions. So, good choice by Anand. Anand went all in in a pawn storm attack on the kingside, while Carlsen got a passed pawn on the queenside. The complications were huge, even different programs did not agree on who was better. In such positions is impossible to play perfect chess. Anand made some practical choices that may not be the best, and valiantly went all in for checkmate, allowing Carlsen to promote a pawn with a check. And then, instead of the logical Bf1, leading to an equal position, Anand blundered with Nf1, allowing black to neutralize the attack. Anand immediately resigned, so the match is all but over now. 3-0 with 3 games left. Tomorrow we shall have a new champion.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Chalky going pro

smitch124

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Quick recaps of last 3 games:

Game 7, Anand e4, Carlsen goes for the Berlin again. Anand tries again the insipid 4. d3, and gets very little out of the opening. A few moves later, simplification ensued and the draw was agreed in 32 moves.

Game 8, Carlsen small surprise with e4. Anand choose e5 and a Berlin, a slightly puzzling choice. 2 games down, he was expected to play for a game with some winning chances with black, even at the risk of losing. Carlsen took the Rio variation (4. 0-0) a very safe choice, and they exchanged all pieces for a dull draw on 33 moves.

Game 9, Anand had to go for the kill, 2 points down with 2 whites left. After 4 unsuccessful e4 games (1 Caro Kann, 3 Berlins), he went for d4. Carlsen went for the Nimzoindian, and Anand countered with the f3 Saemisch variation. It is a sharp line, not good scoring for white, but leading to unbalanced positions. So, good choice by Anand. Anand went all in in a pawn storm attack on the kingside, while Carlsen got a passed pawn on the queenside. The complications were huge, even different programs did not agree on who was better. In such positions is impossible to play perfect chess. Anand made some practical choices that may not be the best, and valiantly went all in for checkmate, allowing Carlsen to promote a pawn with a check. And then, instead of the logical Bf1, leading to an equal position, Anand blundered with Nf1, allowing black to neutralize the attack. Anand immediately resigned, so the match is all but over now. 3-0 with 3 games left. Tomorrow we shall have a new champion.
    Yes from what I am hearing Nf1 was a huge blunder, is this something you see often at this level? What would you compare this to in a major sport? Basketball, Baseball, football, soccer etc?

Remedy
    Remedy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5542

Pressure situation back against the wall, I love chess but could not play or analyze at this level.

Being from detroit area I would compare this to the Webber time out call against NC national champ game.

Folded under pressure.

ChuckyTheGoat

How accurate is the ELO player rating? EZ to say now, but Carlsen may have been underpriced (??). Think about all the Scandinavian girls he'll be getting now.

stepanekslips
    stepanekslips's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good thread from a few months ago. Respect!

First 123