Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

SBR Lets All Agree to put the Public Money Angle to Rest

Vikings backers ... my self included

Your probably looking around your living room like my self looking for something to break...

Yes it hurts tonight.

But lets learn from this.

Over 80% of the public is going to cash tonight on Monday Night Prime time nationally telivised football.

You can now ignore line movement, public/sharp "what the books are trying to tell you" you ignore "Pinny Leans" and all that!

Its all BULLSHIT!!!

but hey its all good. We wont pay attention to who the public is on in the future and we will grow as handicappers.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

WTF are you talking about?

80% of the public was on the Giants? Link?

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

if every sharp/public split hit, books would have to set lines 7-10 points off

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

There are no shortcuts in life...

You must adapt constantly...

Hard work is ones only option...

Luck is a curse...

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

Yup, after tonight's game, fading the public is officially dead.

With that kind of sample size, I don't think anyone could even argue with you.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29010

betting games based on who the so called "public" is on....

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Big bear, next time

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Public wins 48% of the time,

not gonna get rich fading the public,

won't go broke though.

Minnesota Niice
    Minnesota Niice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Vikings had plenty of chances to cover the 3 1/2 the odds makers do not decide the game down to simple catches and 1st downs its a number to get equal bets on both sides.. I dont get how when the public wins one they say "oh book makers gave em this one".. that is complete bullshat.. the vikes had their chances to score its just the way the ball bounces sometimes.. If the vikings put in the fumble recovery, or returned the should be interception that hit him between the numbers you would all be on here saying "told you the public would get fukked" "smart bookmakers" its a damned if you do damned if you dont situation and people dont realize that.. It comes down to how the way the ball bounces that night, not oddsmakers

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

i'm just saying i have a clear head now. No more over thinking

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

It's been pretty much over in the NFL for at least 2 years now.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I laugh at the people that talk about public money and betting percentages absolutely complete clowns

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

I would use good consensus data as a tool, not as the gospel. Our data showed 68% of the public on the Giants. If I was going to bet the Giants I might lower my stake or pass. I wouldn't use the data to flip my pick though.

It can help with trap games that look too good. When you see 80% on a game, like Denver over Indy, you have to really ask yourself did the bookmakers really miss the line this badly or is this a suckers bet?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: konck

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I laugh at the people that talk about public money and betting percentages absolutely complete clowns
    look man i agree with you.

I didnt come up with this fade the public thing on my own

its something i picked up over time from posters here at SBR.

Its a bad habbit and i am now a better capper for letting it go.

For years the only thing i studied was matchups and then i started to get away from it... i started trying interpret line movement, started trying to be contrarian, see outside the box... etc.. just simply over thinking.

From now on i will never even look at who the public is on.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

This has already helped me..

with my new way of thinking i didnt even check to see if public was on panthers last night

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Bear good gamblers make adjustments

I never make them and getting destroyed

Minnesota Niice

The public does not lose 100% of the time and if the public wins one, oh well to Vegas, because the squares who won money on that game have zero money management skills and will be right back to back the next square play on the board and give it right back.. Vegas does not lose. I repeat. VEGAS DOES NOT LOSE

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Don't put any angle to rest, you use them in combination with each as it's all situational.

all info is valuable
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Vegas39

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

Here's the whole thing in a nutshell. Betting against the public really is 100% the best way to go. Why is it? Easy what do gamblers have in common...THEY LOSE if you find the biggest loser bet against him. We can all find stats that pt to betting the same team it usually leads the same direction. Why do people not bet against the public....because the times they get beat they say to themselves man I really liked the winning side and Boom back to betting public. I will never stray from betting against public money but even more find me that loser I will fade him to victory....you just have to stomach some tough losses. I post winners my pound it series was 17-8 for over +10 units ...if you look at my POSTED MLB picks the last 7 I go 6-1 all dogs Im 54th in BTP IM 5th in Broke dik fuks fadefadefade my brother

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

But nothing is 100% I do bet public sides once in a while rare but I do. Right now I have bet Denver over every week it hasnt missed the havent made a number high enough. Seems like Denver is an easy 60 or better number each week yet they wont post that. I will bet Denver over until I miss. BTW this year I bet 14 total in NFL mostly when the over is not the public side (except denver which is always the public side) Im 11-3

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

sharp line moves are more important

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Some (a few) posters agonize over lines & line movement. Trying to figure-out what the Books want them to bet

Only two options...

1) Pick winners

2) Arbitrage

Jakenv21
    Update your status
    Jakenv21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6714

Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    Here's the whole thing in a nutshell. Betting against the public really is 100% the best way to go. Why is it? Easy what do gamblers have in common...THEY LOSE if you find the biggest loser bet against him. We can all find stats that pt to betting the same team it usually leads the same direction. Why do people not bet against the public....because the times they get beat they say to themselves man I really liked the winning side and Boom back to betting public. I will never stray from betting against public money but even more find me that loser I will fade him to victory....you just have to stomach some tough losses. I post winners my pound it series was 17-8 for over +10 units ...if you look at my POSTED MLB picks the last 7 I go 6-1 all dogs Im 54th in BTP IM 5th in Broke dik fuks fadefadefade my brother
    Bingo

Jikos
    Jikos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1114

Public trends shouldnt influence your actual picks. You can be on either side and still win/lose. One thing you can consider though. If you like a pick that the public likes bet the current line, if you like the side against the public consider waiting to get a better line. That is the only edge you will get by knowing who the public is on.

boonie26
    boonie26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 727

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." Mark Twain

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I'm about as lazy as it gets, but fade theories are for those who have simply given up trying.

Minnesota Niice

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I'm about as lazy as it gets, but fade theories are for those who have simply given up trying.
    Ignorant comment, I 100% disagree

Jago2008
    SoCal Living
    Jago2008's Avatar Become A Pro!

We're all guessing here essentially make sure it's educated, that includes line movement and percentages, RLM is important.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    I would use good consensus data as a tool, not as the gospel. Our data showed 68% of the public on the Giants. If I was going to bet the Giants I might lower my stake or pass. I wouldn't use the data to flip my pick though.

It can help with trap games that look too good. When you see 80% on a game, like Denver over Indy, you have to really ask yourself did the bookmakers really miss the line this badly or is this a suckers bet?
    UR CONSENSUS here on this site (not the prick contest) is misleading at best. The KC/Hou game last week is a prime example. I can get info from three different books in three different parts of the country and not one of them had money on Houston but somehow ur consensus site had two to one Houston money. To trust those books to give out this info is naive.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Niice View Post
    Ignorant comment, I 100% disagree
    Ok, I'm not THAT lazy. I was being sarcastic.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25117

Big bear sharp as a beach ball

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

big bear, make this thread useful and start posting your selections so people can fade you rather than the public.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1806

Don't fade public when sharp line moves occur. Crossing key points.

-2.5, -3, -3.5, -4,

still fading? +4 sounds delicious now....lol

12 Last