ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

What's the rule in CFB when the ball carrier runs out of bounds?

In regards to the clock.

If the ball carrier runs out of bounds, I was under the presumption the clock should stop.

I have seen at least 5 instances this year, 2 in the last moments of the game, where the clock kept ticking after a play ran out of bounds.

This week, it was a USC player that ran out of bounds when they were attempting to run clock, yet the -clock remained moving - effectively taking a huge chunk of time off. The week prior it was in the UCF game, where the clock remained ticking even though the ball carrier ran out of bounds.

If the clock stopped in both instances, and the rest of the game played out exactly the same - both Utah St. and Peen St. would have gotten the ball back with close to 30 seconds left, instead of not getting it back at all. (There is an obvious variable of it playing out exactly, but putting that aside).

Anyway, has there been a rule change, or did the clock worker "accidentally" fukk up that bad and nobody caught on in both instances. (Although the Peen St. coach was going off on the issue when it happened).

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

I notice this too, actually it happens all the time, throughout the whole game, in multiple different games I watch, from all different conferences. So I'm sure its no coincidence. A lot of times I notice it will run a few seconds then all of a sudden stop, like some son of a bitch is purposely trying to take time off the game...

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Paz View Post
    I notice this too, actually it happens all the time, throughout the whole game, in multiple different games I watch, from all different conferences. So I'm sure its no coincidence. A lot of times I notice it will run a few seconds then all of a sudden stop, like some son of a bitch is purposely trying to take time off the game...
    Agreed with that insofar as other random points earlier in the game. That's reasonably common. Especially the few seconds then random stoppage.

I just have not ever seen it this egregious during crunch time, where every second is scrutinized. We're talking about an entire play clock of time benefiting the team attempting to run clock.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of those circumstances whereas they are able to manipulate the games and until there is enough pressure about it to stop then something will be done about it.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

It depends whether the time official has over or under.

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

yeah I notice it that as well.

I think it runs as soon as they set the ball. similar to when a team picks up a first down.

but anything under a minute, if someone steps out it is stopped until the ball is snapped. I THINK

hitman09
    hitman09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

I saw this for a long time; vegas said keep the clock running, we want it go UNDER baby.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Clock runs once the ball is set unless it's the last two minutes of each half. If it were late in the game then yeah they fcked up.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

I don't understand it either, saw the same thing in the USC game today. They picked up the first down, dude went outta bounds around 2 min left. The clock ran, lol...

BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4143

It depends on forward progress. If a guy is running forward and gets hit in bounds and driven sideways or backwards out of bounds, then the ball is spotted at the forward progress spot, which is in bounds, which means the clock keeps running. So oftentimes it is that first hit which creates the spot of the ball and it's in bounds.

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

If he runs out of bounds, the clock stops and restarts on the ready for play whistle. Under two minutes, it doesn't start until the snap. No conspiracy here, just clueless gamblers.