daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4907

Is Gambling That Much Worse Than Using PEDs??

This was taken from: http://sidelinesapp.com/item/is-bett...peds/#comments. I think it's an interesting topic to discuss. Obviously here since we all bet on sports, is a good place to get the discussion going

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Both bad

Gambling much worse

Just let everyone take drugs of some sort and play the games

If pitchers son them to the playing field is equal

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

Don't be so brainwashed. There is nothing wrong with gambling.

And if your objection is moral, what sort of God would give a shit about if we bet or not?!

Everything in moderation.

daneault23

I don't know if you guys actually read the link, but it's talking about Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson, who both were involved with gambling on their own teams back in the day. It's not talking about us who bet on games who have no personal say in how the games are played.

daneault23

Well Jackson wasn't really betting on his team but people say he was bribed to throw the World Series, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Not us degens who bet on games.

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

Betting by players/coaches/owners/referees on their own games brings the product down. This is the land of the free bruh, not Nigerian soccer. That being said, betting should be legal for U.S. citizens so we don't have to scrounge like rats to get action. Get at me fam.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

It's all about perception.

Most likely AROD gets rung up on the "Just Cause" clause, which deals with casting doubt on the character of baseball - and avoiding the "first time offender" bullshit in the other part of the CBA

Gambling is much more detrimental to public perception.

Both effect the outcome of the game. PED's by players can be argued to be more deferential to a "fair" game, than a manager gambling on his team to win. Although, as we all know - it never stops at betting your team to win.

Still, the worst part of PED's is the fact that not everyone can be on them, and the asshole extending his career by illegitimate use is keeping another guy who is seemingly doing it the right way - from advancing appropriately.

I am all about letting people take drugs if they want, the problem is it is absolutely insane and myopic to do that - without making it a requirement to be in the MLB, effectively forcing players to take drugs, which is 100% against the point.

All that said, I enjoyed roid era MLB.
    Last edited by ChalkyDog; 07-26-13 at 01:15 PM.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

I think the way this will eventually be resolved is with sports series specifically for athletes that do use PEDs. Probably best starting with athletics, where the 100m event has become a total joke with every fast guy testing positive or admitting to use. (yet Usain Bolt can beat the lot clean?! LOL)

The the public interest and advertsiing dollars will decide.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Caffeine is a PED. Gonna end up regulating these guys to nothing but water and chicken all because some guys morals.

But rules are rules, as long as everyone follows the same set then it's fair. Maybe bullshit, but at least fair.