daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Mickelson faces 61% tax rate after wins

Unreal

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...-to-back-wins/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Thanks to his recent wins at both The Open Championship and the Scottish Open, Phil Mickelson pocketed more than $2.16 million in just two weeks.
    The world’s top golfer —who came under fire earlier this year when he complained about his supposed 60 percent tax rate as a California resident — is taking another hit on his recent earnings.
    According to Forbes, Mickelson has been subjected to the United Kingdom’s 45 percent tax rate for those who make more than £150,000 a year. In addition, the magazine reports, he will be taxed on a portion of the endorsement income he earned during his time in Scotland.
    PHOTO GALLERY (credit: Andrew Redington/Getty Images)

While Mickelson can take a foreign tax credit to avoid being taxed again by the U.S. government, he still has to pay self-employment taxes, the new Medicare surtax, and hand over 13.3 percent of his wages to the state of California, which does not have a foreign tax credit, Forbes reported.
    Forbes estimates he will take home $842,700, which, of course, does not include any of his tax-deductible travel expenses and the additional 10 percent he owes to his caddy.
    Mickelson is sponsored by KPMG, which manages an official Twitter account for his signature hat and is now refurbishing a school library in Orange County.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

and this concerns us how?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Big Bear you're a little cranky today sir. You need to fix yourself a stiff drink

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Phil Needs to find a better accountant,

most rich people find huge tax loopholes and pay less % than the middle class.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

sooner or later the 1/2 of the population that supports the other half is gonna stop working, we are quickly reaching that tipping point if more than 1/2 of your income is stolen by the government...

many people buy nice clothes, get a car and house, then drive through traffic to a job they hate, just so they can pay for the clothes, car, and house that they leave empty while they work to pay for it lol

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If Tiger won the tournament wouldn't he have paid the same UK taxes as Mickelson?

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

pretty terrible if you ask me. What motivation is there to work hard if the government is going to take all your $ anyways. Bad trend.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    sooner or later the 1/2 of the population that supports the other half is gonna stop working, we are quickly reaching that tipping point if more than 1/2 of your income is stolen by the government...

many people buy nice clothes, get a car and house, then drive through traffic to a job they hate, just so they can pay for the clothes, car, and house that they leave empty while they work to pay for it lol
    haha u just summed up my life...

i do enjoy life but i do hate my job

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If Tiger won the tournament wouldn't he have paid the same UK taxes as Mickelson?
    by being a florida resident (no state income tax), tiger would've paid about 12% less. after paying his caddy and other expenses, phil kept about 30%

Huckleberry Pig

i'm with ya big bear lol

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

Yes.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Hes getting taxed 16% in america. The rest is a foreign country tax.

This guy lives in cali, and played in the UK, then blames others for the laws he consciouly subjected himself to.

On top of that, teabaggers read this as an American government problem.

Truly unreal.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

What's the tax rate for winning $2 million dollars in the US? It has to be close to 45% like the UK. Milwaukee Mike?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

People sympathizing for a guy that took home well over $800K for a pay period of work.

milwaukee mike

What's the tax rate for winning $2 million dollars in the US? It has to be close to 45% like the UK. Milwaukee Mike?
    39.6% + another 3.8% medicare tax.

yes it's hard to feel sorry for phil but why should the government make more on his income than he does? all they will spend the money on is interest and war...

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

39.6% + another 3.8% medicare tax.

yes it's hard to feel sorry for phil but why should the government make more on his income than he does? all they will spend the money on is interest and war...
    Miker, Do you recall what Yao Ming was paying taxes in China? I can't remember the percent. I recall it making the news and people being shocked.

ChalkyDog

Here's the problem I have with this. Leaving the taxation without representation argument alone.

Mickelson willfully lives in California, and bitches about the taxes. Dude can live anywhere he wants, anywhere. And he chooses the worst tax state in the Country. He avails himself to all the benefits of California, yet bitches when the bill is due. Typical American myopia, found at every demographic.

milwaukee mike

yeah can't remember and on phone. last year many of the super rich in france were actually paying more than 100% of their income in taxes!!

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Here's the problem I have with this. Leaving the taxation without representation argument alone.

Michelson willfully lives in California, and bitches about the taxes. Dude can live anywhere he wants, anywhere. And he chooses the worst tax state in the Country. He avails himself to all the benefits of California, yet bitches when the bill is due. Typical American myopia, found at every demographic.
    agree with you here.

milwaukee mike

Michelson willfully lives in California, and bitches about the taxes. Dude can live anywhere he wants, anywhere. And he chooses the worst tax state in the Country. He avails himself to all the benefits of California, yet bitches when the bill is due. Typical American myopia, found at every demographic.
    i do see that side. then again, he had his home there well before they almost doubled the tax rates, like my france example it's sad when the government gets so oppresive that it drives you away from your home. like me i don't really "choose" to stay in wisconsin but my in-laws are here so i'm kind of pressured into it

ChalkyDog

i do see that side. then again, he had his home there well before they almost doubled the tax rates, like my france example it's sad when the government gets so oppresive that it drives you away from your home. like me i don't really "choose" to stay in wisconsin but my in-laws are here so i'm kind of pressured into it
    I don't know. I'm dealing with some dumbfukk rich bastards recently, and I might have directed that anger irrationally at this story. I have to reflect, as I am not quite sure I agree with what I wrote.

Point being, there are bills that must be paid. Taxes suck for everyone. The people running the tax code are the rich fukkers, and the pressure they are putting on the middle class is deteriorating America just as bad as the illegitimate welfare recipients. Midclass is getting squeezed, and I don't want to hear about people who have the access to ridiculous wealth, bitch about this stuff.

America is fukked, if you have a greater ability to help, stop bitching about what the rich assholes in Washington/Califonia/any state have agreed is the bare minimum. Step the fukk up.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Just become a bookie, start small...

After a few years especially if you hang at you're local bars, you will have all the tax free second income you need as well as a nice client base...

You only have to book NFL...

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Phil should ask Mitt Romney how to be a millionaire and paying 12% taxes and having a house in San Diego.

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

I could give 3 fukks about a millionaire who has to pay hight taxes

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Phil makes about 50 million per year with endorsements

lol who cares

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

JJ since when did you start saying lol

Unreal

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

fck 61% is robbery. mine as well leave your backdoor open.

DMB40
    DMB40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

Mickelson willfully lives in California, and bitches about the taxes. Dude can live anywhere he wants, anywhere. And he chooses the worst tax state in the Country. He avails himself to all the benefits of California, yet bitches when the bill is due. Typical American myopia, found at every demographic.

It's a little different when he has lived there his whole life has family and friends there. He Has many charities and local schools that he supports. California recently raised the tax rate not like he moved somewhere then complained about the tax laws for that state. What if they made you pay double in taxes ??? It's amazing to me that people complain when athletes / celebrities don't tell truth he did and everyone ripped him for it.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    JJ since when did you start saying lol

Unreal

Daner got better writing, different styles.

Phil has more than enough for his family to not even have to work and all be mufti millionaires forever

Jefferey13
    Jefferey13's Avatar Become A Pro!

So many people comment about "who cares, he is rich." You are all ignorant idiots. Seriously. Use your brain, if you still have one. It's the "as long as it doesn't currently affect me" mentality that has screwed the country. You think a free lunch really is free.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: retard

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

so much money for all the work he puts in. fck that phil. take em' to court!

xbalto
    xbalto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 847

In the golden age of America (1950s) the top rate was 8%.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey13 View Post
    So many people comment about "who cares, he is rich." You are all ignorant idiots. Seriously. Use your brain, if you still have one. It's the "as long as it doesn't currently affect me" mentality that has screwed the country. You think a free lunch really is free.
    So what's your plan of unscrewing this country Mother Teresa?

jjgold

98% of population cannot even relate to Phil s financial status
    He is not wealthy, he is Tiger Woods type Mega Wealth

Jefferey13
    Jefferey13's Avatar Become A Pro!

So what's your plan of unscrewing this country Mother Teresa?
    A real plan that would work? I think we are about passed the point of redemption. We are slowly moving to more socialized types of programs.

I would get a more balanced tax schedule, reduce handouts, and take a more libertarian approach (I am not a libertarian). I think we live in a time when we believe no one can be left behind. So we have so many social programs that provide things for people that should be their own responsibility. Social security should have never been put in place, unemployment is too long, foodstamps are a joke, and there should been no medical or whatever each state has in place. The government is not responsible to make sure each person has food and a job. They just need to take care of national issues and stay out of the way. Phil Mickelson is literally providing for hundreds of people to nothing day after day.

12 Last