floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

You get to play eight home games a year in front of 105,000 people. NFL scouts are going to be there every weekend. What player thinks his choice of colleges was great simply because he got to play in the Belk Bowl?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chi_archie

burgaweddie
    burgaweddie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

They are PENN STATE ! Stupid

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

the freeh report stated that there is 'a culture of reverence for the football program that is ingrained at all levels of the campus community'

football players are gods on the psu campus, probably off it too, who wouldnt want to be part of that team

personally I would be too disgusted to pass 1000 miles from that state, let alone be on that campus and breath that air

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    the freeh report stated that there is 'a culture of reverence for the football program that is ingrained at all levels of the campus community'

football players are gods on the psu campus, probably off it too, who wouldnt want to be part of that team

personally I would be too disgusted to pass 1000 miles from that state, let alone be on that campus and breath that air
    Good chance you live a few doors away from a pedophile. Even greater chance you live in a community where politics have covered up many a scandal.

Penn St. just got coverage. It's not a unique or special case, relatively speaking.

Only thing about the program that has changed is perception. But, that has more than likely kicked up much more of a fervent from the program to put out an highly competitive product, post-debacle.

It's more than just winning a championship, or go to a bowl. They're trying to restore a community and probably a way of life for many of the people in that community.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    I don't know when were the years that Justin King and Derrick Williams were on the team? Mid 2000's I think that was the last time I followed them and those guys were like 4.3 guys that both got to the NFL

after that I don't know

point isn't how fast have PSU players been recently... But why might a 4.3 40 kinda guy pick PSU over going to a big SEC or Big 12 school?

that speed will play very well in the big ten
    if you run 4.3 you can play any where Florida (you pick a school) USC Oregon etc etc. just on location alone why go to penn state? ....anyways them days of king and Williams are long gone or skill guys like that. You want a chance to win conference year after year you go to Ohio state or possibly Michigan simple as that. Penn state is an after thought for kids not from in state. Kids today want everything easy so sure a few kids might pick psu but if you are good enough go red shirt at Alabama or Lsu practice against future nfl ballers and wait your turn IMO get better while waiting

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Good chance you live a few doors away from a pedophile. Even greater chance you live in a community where politics have covered up many a scandal.

Penn St. just got coverage. It's not a unique or special case, relatively speaking.

Only thing about the program that has changed is perception. But, that has more than likely kicked up much more of a fervent from the program to put out an highly competitive product, post-debacle.

It's more than just winning a championship, or go to a bowl. They're trying to restore a community and probably a way of life for many of the people in that community.

i dont doubt there are pedophiles everwhere

but I want to believe that there are very few people that would tolerate it

the people at penn state not only tolerated it, they covered it up, allowing a violent child molester continue his predatory behavior for more than a decade, sandusky sexually abused a minimum of 10 more children since the coverup, imagine how many more victims are out there, either because they are too ashamed to come forward, or because their lives have been ruined/ended because of the sexual abuse

it takes a sick person to molest a child, but it takes a really perverted person to cover it up for personal gain, i hope everyone involved in the coverup is jailed for life and that joe paternos victories are vacated and he is shamed for what he did

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

why do people really think that winning a conference is so important to a 17 year old guy?

most of this kids couldn't spell conference if you spotted them the con and erence

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

why do people really think that winning a conference is so important to a 17 year old guy?

most of this kids couldn't spell conference if you spotted them the con and erence
    It's not. Zero. There isn't a single top recruit who gives a flying fukk about that bullshit. Their mind is set on the NFL, at all costs, and most are just looking for the easiest/most comfortable way to get there.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Bill O'Brien is a shit hot coach....unless you're playing in a BCS bowl no one cares about the Poulan Weedeater bowl in Shreveport anyway. Playing in from of 105,000 people every week in a Pro style offense is what's selling

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

I don't know when were the years that Justin King and Derrick Williams were on the team? Mid 2000's I think that was the last time I followed them and those guys were like 4.3 guys that both got to the NFL

after that I don't know

point isn't how fast have PSU players been recently... But why might a 4.3 40 kinda guy pick PSU over going to a big SEC or Big 12 school?

that speed will play very well in the big ten
    but 4.3 wouldn't play very well in the SEC where they all run 3.5s right? Even the linemen I believe

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

gimmicks help

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/eye-on-sports/22756530/penn-state-ucf-to-meet-in-ireland-to-open-2014-season

Penn State will face Central Florida in Ireland to open the 2014 season in the Croke Park Classic, marking the first time either school has played outside the United States.
    "Our players and coaches are so excited to go to Ireland and play a college football game in such a historic and outstanding venue," Nittany Lions coach Bill O'Brien said in a release. "I have great respect for [UCF] Coach [George] O'Leary and his team and playing UCF in Ireland will be a fantastic experience for all the players, coaches and fans."
    Dublin's Croke Park stadium has a capacity of 69,000 and last hosted an American football game in 1996 when Navy and Notre Dame met there.
    Kickoff is set for Saturday, Aug. 30 at 1:30 p.m. local time, which is 8:30 a.m. EST.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

nice debut for 5 star true freshman starting QB Christian Hackenberg

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1797

nice debut for 5 star true freshman starting QB Christian Hackenberg

kid might be great, here is a 5 star that went to Penn State purely from tradition, and there is a ton of that.

listen no person in the world can defend what happened there, I am just not sure how the kids on the program need to be punished. what did they have to do with that? fine the school and do other things but why hurt the kids. you know when you think about it there is a parallel here. that asshole hurt kids, so the ncaa decided the best punishment is to hurt kids. I cannot or will not defend what happened but punish the bastards involved, place them in jail, wtf do the kids have to do with this and the program.

MrBig33
    MrBig33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 997

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    They are not all life long Penn St fans though.....they are getting guys from all over the countryA meaningless Ireland game vs. UCF in September does not beat the anticipation of a big time bowl gameBasically there is no ceiling if you choose to play with Penn St.....No aspirations, no playing for a conference championship, nothing. You play the games on your schedule and then on to next yearPlaying sports in high school and even in college I always played towards the goal of the postseason....That was the whole fun of it, how far we can make it in the postseasonJust seems dumb to voluntarily take that off of your plate when 10+ other schools don't have any restrictions and are just as big a name as Penn St or close enough
    First of all recruits dont sign on for just to play in "bowl" games...sure thats a big reason but not the only reason. Its still in a major conference and has big time tradition. Also they have a head coach with NFL ties and experience. I am wondering why this is a surprise to you lol...

HuskerExpat
    HuskerExpat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1637

For all the reasons mentioned, they will keep getting recruits as long as they keep winning. If they start losing then it is going to be a downward spiral to a once great program now in the second or third tier of college football. There is the chance that with their scholarships limited a few key injuries will pile up and be seriously detrimental to the team. On the other hand, they could just keep plugging away and winning 8 or 9 games a year during the period of the sanctions and then they'll come out just fine.

Or if Bill O'Brien finds an NFL to pay his huge buy-out clause of his contract, then they're definitely screwed.

irish1
    Update your status
    irish1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5081

Penn State should have gotten the death penalty for at least three years. There was no justice served in that case, the NCAA is a total disgrace.

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

It's Penn State, top people are always going to want to play there. This nation will always view it as at least a top 10 program in terms of prestige.

Thankfully, you also no longer have to worry about getting raped by athletic personnel who are supposed to be looking out for you. Bill O'Brien seems like a good man as well.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBig33 View Post
    First of all recruits dont sign on for just to play in "bowl" games...sure thats a big reason but not the only reason. Its still in a major conference and has big time tradition. Also they have a head coach with NFL ties and experience. I am wondering why this is a surprise to you lol...
    It's a surprise because of all schools you could choose, why would it be Penn St? The one place where you can't go to a bowl game or win your conference.....The one place with a horrible stigma

Like I said before, if you are a player with not many big time offers,I get it....But top recruits can name their school pretty much and they choose Penn St out of all the great schools out there??

rexmundi000
    rexmundi000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 958

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-Man View Post
    How else do you think?

$$$$
    You mean fringe benefits?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Very Important win today, to keep some positive momentum for PSU to continue to get some top recruits during their sanctions

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

It's called Bill O'Brien putting Matt McGloin onto the Raiders as there staring QB....don't think that's not advertising. Penn State will get some of their scholarships back at the end of this season when the NCAA revisits their situation. Don't be surprised if they don't get more lifted as well. The NCAA is a trainwreck in the way they've screwed up investigations from coast-to-coast. If Miami can hookers and blow into their program and get a slap on the wrist, programs are getting their ducks in a row and knocking on the NCAA's door to get their cases looked at. If I was Southern Cal I would be heading to Indianapolis with a blow torch

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

what will become of Hackenburg?

good to see Robinson taking a shot at the big money

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

maybe they like "horse play" in the group showers

ZIPPER HEAD
    ZIPPER HEAD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5106

Because they are giving free blowjobs in the showers

Bumdeal
    Twirling his mustache
    Bumdeal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

They get to future recruits really, really early.

First 12