dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    let me know when someone from the AFL, or anywhere breaks the current 800m "jogging" record by 11 seconds
    You dumb? I didn't say that.

But there's enough dumb ignorant redneck yanks who think NFL 40s are the only measure of speed. I laid out that analogy to show that it's all relative and the definition of 'fast' can vary.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

This isn't even debatable, what else can you come up with JJ?

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Quote Originally Posted by brettels View Post

VS

VS

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

You will have to do better than that hahah

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Quote Originally Posted by dj_destroyer View Post
    What is your definition of fast?

or a 1.5 minute 800m jog?

By those numbers, the 1.5 minute 800m is bay the fastest.
    1 min 30 secs would be a world record by 11 seconds

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

how would TE's like Gonzalez, Gronk, Vernon Davis, Graham ect do?

how bout Calvin Johnson, could he be an all-star there?

I guess we will find out a bit more if that basketball guy Wallace gets to play

garygroundwork
    garygroundwork's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12445

stupid.....u can be the best athlete in the world but without years of practice learning the skills of aussie rules (marking, kicking, reading the play, hand balling etc) you don't stand a chance at the highest level.

with the exception of ruckmen as stated in previous threads

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by 8ArIvd5 View Post

VS

haha

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Only another several weeks before preseason begins :dance:

CrazyCarl
    CrazyCarl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2162

No.

Durrrr
    Durrrr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

How about the Yankees vs Australian Cricket team 20/20

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by Durrrr View Post
    How about the Yankees vs Australian Cricket team 20/20

Could u imagine CC steamrolling in as a fast bowler??

Guy would bowl vicious bouncers that (literally) make the earth move :-)

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

how did Eric Wallace fare in the AFL?

is he still there?

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    how did Eric Wallace fare in the AFL?

is he still there?
    He plays a the equivalent of AAA level over here.

Guy only has a 2 seasons under his belt but looking as though he may get a start with the big boys next season although North melbourne are a strong team so he's gonna have to be on the ball (figuratively speaking) if he wants that 1st grade spot.

What about Jarrad Hayne though?

ATSFTW
    ATSFTW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2593

Lol, the best athletes in the world aren't the white guys playing Rugby. They're in the NFL. Pick a team of the best Rugby players and a team of the best NFL players SUITED FOR Rugby, it wouldn't even be close.

aussieH
    Update your status
    aussieH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7720

The Australian cricket team would destroy a mlb team at cricket It would be an enormous mismatch.

If they played baseball though it would be competitive but a convincing win to the mlb.

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by ATSFTW View Post
    Lol, the best athletes in the world aren't the white guys playing Rugby. They're in the NFL. Pick a team of the best Rugby players and a team of the best NFL players SUITED FOR Rugby, it wouldn't even be close.
    lol dont you lot wear that pussy padding though?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

AFL will win. These guys have no teeth from the hits. And all bones are reinforced with titanium.

ATSFTW

There's a reason there aren't many white running backs/receivers in the NFL... That's also the reason why they are playing Rugby. They are slower and less athletic.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Blacks would dominate Rugby/Australian rules football

Can you imagine trying to tackle these guys on an Australian rules football field??

Lol

Shazzadude
    Shazzadude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1336

AFL isn't rugby you ignorant yankee.

Also, rugby isn't a white only sport as Americans seem to believe. Polynesians feature quite prominently in a number of international teams, just like the NFL-where a Polynesian American is more likely to make the NFL than any other ethnic group in the US.

Shazzadude

I find it interesting that those of us from Australia and New Zealand are debating from a position of knowing the rules of NFL, while the Americans are starting their arguments with "I don't know any of the rules for rugby/Aussie rules, but....."

Ant2nv
    Ant2nv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1057

Im from Australia Love my NFL..actually my Fav sport over AFL, you cant compare the 2 at all.. AFL is more exhausting..its about quickness and speed and running around bouncing an oval shaped ball.. give the Giants 3yrs to practice and they will still get their ass kicked!!

ATSFTW

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzadude View Post
    AFL isn't rugby you ignorant yankee.

Also, rugby isn't a white only sport as Americans seem to believe. Polynesians feature quite prominently in a number of international teams, just like the NFL-where a Polynesian American is more likely to make the NFL than any other ethnic group in the US.
    Where did I say it was a white-only sport? And again, you're the one making sweeping generalizations about Americans. I happen to enjoy Rugby, difference between me and you is I'm smart enough to know they aren't the best athletes in the world.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24625

Conditioning edge to Aussies. Aussies would win easily. USA would struggle to score. Aussies, 150-14.

aussieH
    Update your status
    aussieH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7720

More like 300 to 2.

Martinr
    Martinr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21

AFL has more in common with NBA/Basketball than Gridiron if you think about it.
    Hard to transfer AFL skills to NFL. That punter for Utah that came from an AFL upbringing played a huge part in their win today though with some great punts.

Rugby League would be the closest comparison to NFL/Gridiron.
    Jarryd Hayne is heading over no?

portetdaspet
    portetdaspet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1008

Just found this thread. As an Australian who has watched almost every NFL game for the last 5 years I find the whole premise kind of hilarious. Do some of you think Australian Rules is like rugby or rugby league? Because it's really not at all. NFL and either rugby code are much closer to each other than AFL is to any of them. If this question was could you build a roster of NFL players that could challenge Australia or an NRL team at Rugby League than I think it would be far more interesting.

However, if you want to stick with AFL than there are 2 major problems that any American is going to have with the game:

1. Kicking skills. Handballing can probably be learnt, but in AFL every player on the field has to be able to kick like a directional punter. If you run with the ball and then get tackled it is a free kick to the opposition, you can't just go down like you would in the NFL, you have to kick it away. If you cannot hit a teammate on the chest 50m away with a punt kick then you are completely useless as a player in any position. Now could this be learned over several years? Sure but since I imagine most NFL players have never really kicked in their life it is going to be a huge challenge to make up that time on Australian players who have been doing this since they were 5.

2. Endurance running. Especially over the last 10 years or so, AFL has become more and more about who can run the furthest. The MCG, which is not the biggest AFL venue (AFL has non-uniform field size in common with cricket and baseball, can't think of any other major sports that do) is approximately 4 times the area of an NFL field so there is a lot of ground to cover. Not only is the ground bigger, you have to cover more of it. I get that WRs and DBs run down the field on a lot of plays, but most players, especially midfielders are expected to cover almost the length of the field regularly, and at near full pace. Also, you have 18 on field with bench of 3 players, so everyone plays almost the whole game. As opposed to 11 men on the field out of a 46 man roster.

Of all football codes, AFL is by far the most taxing aerobically and nothing else is even close. Rugby league and soccer players will sometimes play midweek games, this could never happen in AFL because there is too much running. (I also know you couldn't play 3 NFL games in a week but I think its for a different reason). Also, there is no OT for tied games in the AFL regular season (ties are rare anyway). The most recent OT game happened in the playoffs in 2007 and most players were literally out on their feet aerobically. AFL players are built to run for the normal game time and that expends all their energy. That isn't true for any other sport that I know.

Are there skill position NFL players that could train to be endurance athletes? Obviously, but they would have to train specifically for it, rather than the power running needed in the NFL. Endurance >> Speed for the most part in AFL.

Lastly, do I think Calvin Johnson has some skills that could help in the AFL? Lol. Jumping and ball skills are important and if he could learn to run and kick he would be a dominant key position forward. The closest player we have to him is Buddy Franklin who is 6'6, 225 and very athletic.

If I had to make a line for say New York Giants vs Hawthorn Hawks after 2 weeks of NYG training it would be something like 200 points. The NFL team could not move the ball effectively at all and running up the score isn't as frowned upon in Australia as it is in the States.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Martinr

Shazzadude

Where did I say it was a white-only sport? And again, you're the one making sweeping generalizations about Americans. I happen to enjoy Rugby, difference between me and you is I'm smart enough to know they aren't the best athletes in the world.
    You inferred it with this comment: "Lol, the best athletes in the world aren't the white guys playing Rugby." You felt the need to point out ethnicity for a reason.

Also, I'd be more inclined to say that the best athletes in the world play in the NBA, so your presumptions are wrong again.

Antibet
    Antibet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1565

Jesus, are you kidding me? There is no way Americans ever learn how to bounce an oval ball

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Australia would be scared to death of those black American killer athlete

USA could put together a team aussie is best all-star team couldn't beat them

ATSFTW

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzadude View Post
    You inferred it with this comment: "Lol, the best athletes in the world aren't the white guys playing Rugby." You felt the need to point out ethnicity for a reason.

Also, I'd be more inclined to say that the best athletes in the world play in the NBA, so your presumptions are wrong again.
    Oh ok, so because your opinion is different than mine, "I'm wrong again". Got it.

ATSFTW

Quote Originally Posted by portetdaspet View Post
    If this question was could you build a roster of NFL players that could challenge Australia or an NRL team at Rugby League than I think it would be far more interesting.
    This was the only point I was trying to make but half this thread is blinded by desperately trying to defend their sport.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6302

JJ strikes again

First 1234 Last